ASIA/IRAQ - Churches in Kirkuk assist Muslim refugees during Ramadan
Kirkuk (Agenzia Fides) - In the city of Kirkuk, the Churches are intensely engaged in assisting refugees - mainly Muslims – who have fled from Mosul and villages that are under the control of Sunni insurgents in the north of Iraq. Local sources consulted by Fides Agency, reported that all economic resources from the Chaldean Church are intended for the daily distribution of food parcels to more than 500 families of internally displaced persons who are housed in mosques, schools, sports centers and hostels. Christian families who arrived in Kirkuk after the offensive of the insurgent militiamen - led by the jihadists of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) - are less than fifty. In the coming days the Chaldean community in Kirkuk should inaugurate a new initiative designed to distribute air conditioners to families living crammed into tight spaces, partially to make the sweltering heat sustainable.
Ever since 9 June, Kirkuk is under the full control of the Kurdish Peshmerga militia. The Kurdish soldiers have organized two lines of defense around the city that have so far dissuaded military attacks and incursions by the Sunni militias in action in north Iraq's convulsive scenery. The city does not even live the problems of water supply and energy that have struck villages in Mosul and Nineveh Plain. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/07/2014)
- 2015-11-30 - Chaldean Patriarch: during Advent let us pray for the liberation of Mosul
- 2015-11-20 - Christian and Muslim leaders in Kurdistan celebrate together the "day of tolerance"
- 2015-11-13 - A kindergarten, a language and professional training center for the displaced
- 2015-11-11 - Large participation in the protest against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-11-09 - Chaldean Patriarch convenes a protest against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-11-05 - Even Christians demonstrate in Erbil against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-10-28 - Parliament rejected the request to change the law on the religious affiliation regarding children
- 2015-10-23 - 400 young Christians take part in Kirkuk Youth Day
- 2015-10-10 - Christians in Erbil protest against corruption, "our neighborhoods are being filled with infamous clubs"
- 2015-10-09 - Two Iraqi sisters go and live among the Christian refugees camped in Erbil