ASIA/IRAQ - Churches in Kirkuk assist Muslim refugees during Ramadan
Kirkuk (Agenzia Fides) - In the city of Kirkuk, the Churches are intensely engaged in assisting refugees - mainly Muslims – who have fled from Mosul and villages that are under the control of Sunni insurgents in the north of Iraq. Local sources consulted by Fides Agency, reported that all economic resources from the Chaldean Church are intended for the daily distribution of food parcels to more than 500 families of internally displaced persons who are housed in mosques, schools, sports centers and hostels. Christian families who arrived in Kirkuk after the offensive of the insurgent militiamen - led by the jihadists of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) - are less than fifty. In the coming days the Chaldean community in Kirkuk should inaugurate a new initiative designed to distribute air conditioners to families living crammed into tight spaces, partially to make the sweltering heat sustainable.
Ever since 9 June, Kirkuk is under the full control of the Kurdish Peshmerga militia. The Kurdish soldiers have organized two lines of defense around the city that have so far dissuaded military attacks and incursions by the Sunni militias in action in north Iraq's convulsive scenery. The city does not even live the problems of water supply and energy that have struck villages in Mosul and Nineveh Plain. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/07/2014)
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"
- 2015-05-04 - Chaldean Patriarch opens discussion on the draft Constitution for the Iraqi Kurdistan Region
- 2015-05-02 - Military offensive to free the province of Nineveh. Chaldean priest: "Christians want to return to their homes"
- 2015-04-13 - Northern Iraq's displaced get own radio station
- 2015-03-30 - The Chaldean Church participates in the mourning for the death of Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV
- 2015-03-28 - Chaldean Patriarch to the UN: the "Arab Spring" impacted negatively on Christians
- 2015-03-16 - Chaldean Patriarch: a law against preachers who incite violence is needed
- 2015-03-12 - The monastery of St. George in Mosul damaged, but not destroyed
- 2015-03-10 - Appeal of the Chaldean Patriarch: the offensive against the Caliphate causes new humanitarian emergencies
- 2015-02-24 - ASIA/IRAQ – Courses to start soon at Erbil Catholic University