ASIA/INDIA - Helping indigenous women and promoting their social and economic development
Chintapalli (Agenzia Fides) - Helping Indigenous women to start units of “Mutual Aided Cooperative Societies” (MACS) among them in order to promote their socio-economic development is a new project by the Salesians in Hyderabad. This is what is said in a statement of Ans that emphasizes the recent opening of a MACS program in Chintapalli, which was attended by nearly 500 women from various villages of Tajangi, Lambasingi and Pedda Barada. The members of the tribal groups were told about the purpose of getting the approval for the MACS project, the importance of savings, the need for education and other important issues.
The state coordinator of the Don Bosco Institute explained to the women and the cluster leaders about the need for savings, how they have to save money, and the benefits of it. "Chintapalli Don Bosco Mathru Janani Mahila" Mutually Aided Co-operative Thrift Credit Society Ltd. was thus formed, which will continue its work under the leadership of various local authorities. Currently the Salesian Vijayawada, through MACS projects is helping 16 thousand tribal women in 24 mandals of the region. MACS has taken up also its first programme of constructing a water tank for the tribal people at Lambadapalli. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 01/07/2014)
- 2014-12-16 - Year of the consecrated life: Sisters in brothels to save the enslaved prostitutes
- 2014-12-11 - Catholics: "The government must not encourage Hindu extremists"
- 2014-12-09 - Human Rights Day: Bishops focus on minorities, religious, tribals and Dalit
- 2014-12-06 - Artists of different faiths reflect on Saint Francis Xavier
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/INDIA – Protection for churches and religious freedom: Franciscans mobilise
- 2014-12-03 - “Treated worse than animals”: dramatic situation of women with psychological or intellectual disabilities
- 2014-12-03 - Srinagar and appointment of successor
- 2014-12-02 - Over 70 million children suffer from chronic malnutrition and 13 million work
- 2014-11-28 - Dalit: discrimination for 165 million Indians
- 2014-11-26 - Christian missionaries labeled "enemies of Hindus"