ASIA/INDIA - Helping indigenous women and promoting their social and economic development
Chintapalli (Agenzia Fides) - Helping Indigenous women to start units of “Mutual Aided Cooperative Societies” (MACS) among them in order to promote their socio-economic development is a new project by the Salesians in Hyderabad. This is what is said in a statement of Ans that emphasizes the recent opening of a MACS program in Chintapalli, which was attended by nearly 500 women from various villages of Tajangi, Lambasingi and Pedda Barada. The members of the tribal groups were told about the purpose of getting the approval for the MACS project, the importance of savings, the need for education and other important issues.
The state coordinator of the Don Bosco Institute explained to the women and the cluster leaders about the need for savings, how they have to save money, and the benefits of it. "Chintapalli Don Bosco Mathru Janani Mahila" Mutually Aided Co-operative Thrift Credit Society Ltd. was thus formed, which will continue its work under the leadership of various local authorities. Currently the Salesian Vijayawada, through MACS projects is helping 16 thousand tribal women in 24 mandals of the region. MACS has taken up also its first programme of constructing a water tank for the tribal people at Lambadapalli. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 01/07/2014)
- 2015-09-03 - May the Day of the martyrs of Orissa be a "national event"
- 2015-09-02 - Bishops of Orissa establish "Martyrs Day"
- 2015-09-01 - Interreligious prayer on the Day of Creation
- 2015-08-31 - In Orissa the Day of Remembrance for the victims of anti-Christian massacres
- 2015-08-29 - The Franciscans in India: an hour of Adoration for the Day of Creation
- 2015-08-28 - India is polio-free: thanks to the collaboration between State and Church
- 2015-08-26 - Census on religions: Muslims increas, Christians stable
- 2015-08-25 - "No more violence": anniversary of anti-Christian massacres in Orissa
- 2015-08-24 - A Christian Forum urges the Government of Orissa to protect Christians
- 2015-08-21 - The Daughters of Mary Help of Christians open a new convent in the state of Orissa