ASIA/INDIA - Helping indigenous women and promoting their social and economic development
Chintapalli (Agenzia Fides) - Helping Indigenous women to start units of “Mutual Aided Cooperative Societies” (MACS) among them in order to promote their socio-economic development is a new project by the Salesians in Hyderabad. This is what is said in a statement of Ans that emphasizes the recent opening of a MACS program in Chintapalli, which was attended by nearly 500 women from various villages of Tajangi, Lambasingi and Pedda Barada. The members of the tribal groups were told about the purpose of getting the approval for the MACS project, the importance of savings, the need for education and other important issues.
The state coordinator of the Don Bosco Institute explained to the women and the cluster leaders about the need for savings, how they have to save money, and the benefits of it. "Chintapalli Don Bosco Mathru Janani Mahila" Mutually Aided Co-operative Thrift Credit Society Ltd. was thus formed, which will continue its work under the leadership of various local authorities. Currently the Salesian Vijayawada, through MACS projects is helping 16 thousand tribal women in 24 mandals of the region. MACS has taken up also its first programme of constructing a water tank for the tribal people at Lambadapalli. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 01/07/2014)
- 2014-09-23 - Caritas India renews "the joy of service
- 2014-09-17 - ASIA/INDIA – The Bishop after the flood: "In Kashmir we are like Ground Zero"
- 2014-09-16 - Cardinal Ranjith: “With Francesco to remain in the love of the Lord”
- 2014-09-16 - Bishops’ Justice and Peace Commission: a ray of hope for India’s minorities
- 2014-09-15 - ASIA/INDIA – Floods in Kashmir: Jesuits appeal for help
- 2014-09-12 - The Franciscan leadership? Creative and aimed at the poor
- 2014-09-10 - ASIA/INDIA – Catholics in southern India: urgent instruction Christian families
- 2014-09-05 - ASIA/INDIA – Teachers Day: Mother Teresa, teacher ‘par excellence’
- 2014-09-04 - May the Year of Consecrated Life become a ‘lived reality’
- 2014-09-03 - ASIA/INDIA – Floods in Orissa: Caritas appeal for the victims