AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Still difficulty for many undocumented Haitians
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) – The ordeal for the descendants of migrants, mostly Haitians living in the Dominican Republic, who need to regularize their position otherwise risk losing their citizenship continues. Despite numerous appeals of international organizations, there have not been significant responses from the governments of the two countries in the same island to simplify the procedures.
In the Dominican Republic there is the "Plan Nacional para la Regularización de Extranjeros" which asks a series of documents to foreigners (birth certificate, identity card and passport) to continue to live in that state, on the other hand, the Haitian authorities fail to activate an effective procedure to respond to those who ask for documents (see Fides 16/06/2014).
According to information by Adital agency, the Haitian government in fact issues the birth certificate to its own people without papers, but the release must be on Haitian soil. So many emigrants have returned to Haiti, but since before getting the document more than three months go by, the emigrants do not have the possibility of returning abroad especially to the Dominican Republic, where they have a job, home and family.
The note sent to Fides reports that the Minister of the Interior and the Police of the Dominican Republic in the last week of June, received 31,000 applications for registration in the "Plan Nacional para la Regularización de Extranjeros", 97% were Haitians. According to the first "Encuesta Nacional de Inmigrantes", carried out in 2012 and published last year, 458 233 are Haitians living in the Dominican Republic. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 01/07/2014)
- 2015-10-29 - Archbishop Bretón Martínez contrary to the wall to prevent the entry of Haitians
- 2015-10-16 - "Learn to live with mutual respect": tension between Haiti and Dominican Republic decreases
- 2015-10-09 - Catholic Church and Public Health together against dengue
- 2015-10-06 - Tensions between Haiti and Santo Domingo for economic measures, the Bishops denounce those who sow discord
- 2015-09-30 - First "regional dialogue" against food waste
- 2015-09-25 - Thousands of pilgrims for the feast of the Patron saint of the country
- 2015-09-22 - Dengue: alert in hospitals and health centers in the Country
- 2015-08-04 - “Haiti refuses to help its own emigrants to regularise their status ” Dominican Republic intellectuals claim
- 2015-08-03 - Migrants: Bishops call for definitive solution
- 2015-07-24 - “Working at prevention” can put an end to violence, says Bishop Peña Rodríguez