AMERICA/MEXICO - Marijuana and cocaine as early as 12 years of age
San Luis Potosí (Agenzia Fides) - According to a national Study on Addictions, the city of San Luis Potosi recorded cases of children who at the age of 12 begin to consume drugs. The highest consumption is marijuana, followed by cocaine. In the face of this phenomenon, the Secretariat of Health, through primary health care Centers for Addictions (CAPA), carries out immediate action to prevent drug use. In the city of San Luis, Soledad, Salinas, Matehuala, Rioverde, Ciudad Valles and Tamazunchale, some Nueva Vida Centers are operating.
Advice is offered as well as counseling and, if the patient requires specialized care, he/she is sent to psychiatric clinics or institutes. According to the study carried out, in the range that includes people aged 12 to 65, the consumption of any type of drug is 1.8%; 1.5% of illegal drugs; 1.2% of marijuana and cocaine 0.5%. Among the population of the age group between 12 and 17, the trend in the use of marijuana is 1.3%, and 0.4% for cocaine. The northeastern region of Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas and San Luis Potosi, indicates that among the population aged 12 to 65 the trend in drug use is 3.1%, higher than the national average. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 30/06/2014)
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States
- 2015-04-17 - The Assembly of Bishops: "Without trust and participation we cannot go forth!"
- 2015-04-15 - Every year thousands of children are born on the street, at home or in situations considered at high risk
- 2015-04-14 - Meeting between the Church and those responsible of the elections: no to boycott
- 2015-04-09 - Another priest killed
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude