AMERICA/MEXICO - Marijuana and cocaine as early as 12 years of age
San Luis Potosí (Agenzia Fides) - According to a national Study on Addictions, the city of San Luis Potosi recorded cases of children who at the age of 12 begin to consume drugs. The highest consumption is marijuana, followed by cocaine. In the face of this phenomenon, the Secretariat of Health, through primary health care Centers for Addictions (CAPA), carries out immediate action to prevent drug use. In the city of San Luis, Soledad, Salinas, Matehuala, Rioverde, Ciudad Valles and Tamazunchale, some Nueva Vida Centers are operating.
Advice is offered as well as counseling and, if the patient requires specialized care, he/she is sent to psychiatric clinics or institutes. According to the study carried out, in the range that includes people aged 12 to 65, the consumption of any type of drug is 1.8%; 1.5% of illegal drugs; 1.2% of marijuana and cocaine 0.5%. Among the population of the age group between 12 and 17, the trend in the use of marijuana is 1.3%, and 0.4% for cocaine. The northeastern region of Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas and San Luis Potosi, indicates that among the population aged 12 to 65 the trend in drug use is 3.1%, higher than the national average. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 30/06/2014)
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction
- 2014-09-24 - Priest found dead in the river Balsas
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"
- 2014-09-16 - "To be free is to recognise goodness and see that evil enslaves”: Independence Day celebrations
- 2014-09-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – majority of child workers in Mexico’s south east regions
- 2014-09-08 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societi
- 2014-09-01 - “Migrants: for a better world”, pastoral care for human mobility national meeting
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop