AMERICA/MEXICO - Marijuana and cocaine as early as 12 years of age
San Luis Potosí (Agenzia Fides) - According to a national Study on Addictions, the city of San Luis Potosi recorded cases of children who at the age of 12 begin to consume drugs. The highest consumption is marijuana, followed by cocaine. In the face of this phenomenon, the Secretariat of Health, through primary health care Centers for Addictions (CAPA), carries out immediate action to prevent drug use. In the city of San Luis, Soledad, Salinas, Matehuala, Rioverde, Ciudad Valles and Tamazunchale, some Nueva Vida Centers are operating.
Advice is offered as well as counseling and, if the patient requires specialized care, he/she is sent to psychiatric clinics or institutes. According to the study carried out, in the range that includes people aged 12 to 65, the consumption of any type of drug is 1.8%; 1.5% of illegal drugs; 1.2% of marijuana and cocaine 0.5%. Among the population of the age group between 12 and 17, the trend in the use of marijuana is 1.3%, and 0.4% for cocaine. The northeastern region of Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas and San Luis Potosi, indicates that among the population aged 12 to 65 the trend in drug use is 3.1%, higher than the national average. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 30/06/2014)
- 2015-10-08 - Bible in Tzotzil language, completed the work desired by more than 350,000 faithful
- 2015-09-30 - Parish canteen transformed into a hall to exhibit the photographs of missing persons
- 2015-09-28 - Mgr. Arizmendi on the events in Chiapas: "Yes to protest, but never with violence"
- 2015-09-26 - "No one can remain indifferent". A year ago, the massacre of 43 students in Iguala
- 2015-09-25 - Proposal for reform to combat the poverty of 20 million children
- 2015-09-21 - Free surgeries for children and adults with cleft lip and palate
- 2015-09-15 - "In Mexico there is no real administration of justice" says the Archdiocese of Mexico
- 2015-09-08 - Meeting of the Bishops of Mexico and the United States on the expulsion of immigrants
- 2015-09-04 - May our nation be an open space for respectable migration, in justice and peace
- 2015-08-03 - Solidarity Prize: Spanish Bishops in favour of Las Patronas candidature