AMERICA/MEXICO - Marijuana and cocaine as early as 12 years of age
San Luis Potosí (Agenzia Fides) - According to a national Study on Addictions, the city of San Luis Potosi recorded cases of children who at the age of 12 begin to consume drugs. The highest consumption is marijuana, followed by cocaine. In the face of this phenomenon, the Secretariat of Health, through primary health care Centers for Addictions (CAPA), carries out immediate action to prevent drug use. In the city of San Luis, Soledad, Salinas, Matehuala, Rioverde, Ciudad Valles and Tamazunchale, some Nueva Vida Centers are operating.
Advice is offered as well as counseling and, if the patient requires specialized care, he/she is sent to psychiatric clinics or institutes. According to the study carried out, in the range that includes people aged 12 to 65, the consumption of any type of drug is 1.8%; 1.5% of illegal drugs; 1.2% of marijuana and cocaine 0.5%. Among the population of the age group between 12 and 17, the trend in the use of marijuana is 1.3%, and 0.4% for cocaine. The northeastern region of Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas and San Luis Potosi, indicates that among the population aged 12 to 65 the trend in drug use is 3.1%, higher than the national average. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 30/06/2014)
- 2014-10-21 - When you do not respect the right of even one person, it jeopardizes the right of all
- 2014-10-21 - 2000 children have been killed or maimed between 2006 and 2014
- 2014-10-15 - "Never accept violence as a solution", warns Mgr. Lona Reyes who proposes a prayer campaign
- 2014-10-14 - Bishops on the Iguala case: "clarify what happened, the truth is the path to justice"
- 2014-10-10 - The tragedy of Iguala and its consequences: a letter from the Archbishop of Acapulco
- 2014-10-09 - Corrupt policemen and climate of mistrust, the Bishop of La Paz denounces the silence of the authorities
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction
- 2014-09-24 - Priest found dead in the river Balsas
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"
- 2014-09-16 - "To be free is to recognise goodness and see that evil enslaves”: Independence Day celebrations