AMERICA/MEXICO - Marijuana and cocaine as early as 12 years of age
San Luis Potosí (Agenzia Fides) - According to a national Study on Addictions, the city of San Luis Potosi recorded cases of children who at the age of 12 begin to consume drugs. The highest consumption is marijuana, followed by cocaine. In the face of this phenomenon, the Secretariat of Health, through primary health care Centers for Addictions (CAPA), carries out immediate action to prevent drug use. In the city of San Luis, Soledad, Salinas, Matehuala, Rioverde, Ciudad Valles and Tamazunchale, some Nueva Vida Centers are operating.
Advice is offered as well as counseling and, if the patient requires specialized care, he/she is sent to psychiatric clinics or institutes. According to the study carried out, in the range that includes people aged 12 to 65, the consumption of any type of drug is 1.8%; 1.5% of illegal drugs; 1.2% of marijuana and cocaine 0.5%. Among the population of the age group between 12 and 17, the trend in the use of marijuana is 1.3%, and 0.4% for cocaine. The northeastern region of Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas and San Luis Potosi, indicates that among the population aged 12 to 65 the trend in drug use is 3.1%, higher than the national average. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 30/06/2014)
- 2014-07-31 - The Bishops: "Family Reunification for immigrant children"
- 2014-07-31 - Major epidemiological control towards the chikungunya virus
- 2014-07-30 - Prisons become "universities of crime": the Church insists on re-education
- 2014-07-28 - Over five thousand people march for peace and for life
- 2014-07-15 - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
- 2014-07-15 - Bishop Aguilar’s appeal : "Migrant children are not intruders or invaders"
- 2014-07-14 - Cardinal Parolin, Vatican's Secretary of State, in Mexico for the emergency regarding emigration
- 2014-07-11 - The Central American Church's commitment to eradicate the causes of child emigration
- 2014-07-07 - More than 8 million indigenous women suffer physical and moral violence
- 2014-07-04 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Inauguration of a reception center, but the issue on migrants should be resolved at the root