AMERICA/ARGENTINA - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
Chubut (Agenzia Fides) - Under the slogan "We all play in this world cup ... wear the sweater of life ... say no to drugs", the inhabitants of Trelew (1,300 km south of Buenos Aires), today will celebrate "World Day against the consumption and illicit drug trafficking". The march will start after the words of the Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of Comodoro Rivadavia, His Exc. Mgr. Fernando Croxatto. The mayor of the city, says the note sent to Fides by a local source, said that this event does not need invitations or publicity, because "we all know the seriousness of the problem or even have a family member with this problem".
Civil authorities, motivating the participation of all, thanked for the commitment of different social groups working in this complex area, particularly the Catholic Church.
On Thursday, June 26th we celebrate "World Day against the consumption and illicit drug trafficking" launched in 1987 by the General Assembly of the United Nations to commemorate the goal shared by all member States of creating an international community free from drugs. In Argentina, the phenomenon has exploded as a major social problem and the Church is in the front row to combat this scourge (see Fides 05/05/2014) as well as that of violence (see Fides 14/05/2014 ). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/06/2014)
- 2014-09-06 - The life of every migrant demands we build a new world; migrants’ pilgrimage to Luján
- 2014-09-04 - Announcing Christ on the streets: “committed to mission” for the archdiocese of Salta
- 2014-09-03 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – The Month of the Bible, ideal context for giving new impulse to the evangelising mission of the Church
- 2014-08-21 - The Church launches an alarm regarding the increase of suicides among teenagers
- 2014-08-06 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Pope Francis welcomes the opening of a reception center for victims of sexual exploitation
- 2014-07-08 - After 38 years the killers of the Bishop who fought for hope and dignity have been condemned
- 2014-06-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Social Week begins, to promote "the culture of meeting"
- 2014-06-26 - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
- 2014-06-25 - Bishops concerned about the national economic situation
- 2014-06-18 - A video against drugs: the Church launches a campaign on social networking sites