AMERICA/ARGENTINA - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
Chubut (Agenzia Fides) - Under the slogan "We all play in this world cup ... wear the sweater of life ... say no to drugs", the inhabitants of Trelew (1,300 km south of Buenos Aires), today will celebrate "World Day against the consumption and illicit drug trafficking". The march will start after the words of the Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of Comodoro Rivadavia, His Exc. Mgr. Fernando Croxatto. The mayor of the city, says the note sent to Fides by a local source, said that this event does not need invitations or publicity, because "we all know the seriousness of the problem or even have a family member with this problem".
Civil authorities, motivating the participation of all, thanked for the commitment of different social groups working in this complex area, particularly the Catholic Church.
On Thursday, June 26th we celebrate "World Day against the consumption and illicit drug trafficking" launched in 1987 by the General Assembly of the United Nations to commemorate the goal shared by all member States of creating an international community free from drugs. In Argentina, the phenomenon has exploded as a major social problem and the Church is in the front row to combat this scourge (see Fides 05/05/2014) as well as that of violence (see Fides 14/05/2014 ). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/06/2014)
- 2015-01-22 - Nisman case: Bishops: "the people want the truth"
- 2015-01-15 - Divine Word Missionaries from Asia, Africa and Oceania work in Argentina
- 2015-01-09 - Tuberculosis and Chagas disease out of control in the Chaco
- 2014-12-23 - Church and government for the common good and peace of the country
- 2014-12-19 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – The Bishops: "Working together to build a more fraternal Country"
- 2014-12-17 - Church and government meet again
- 2014-12-11 - Drug and human trafficking: "There are people who have money stained with blood in their pocket"
- 2014-11-28 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Debate on the mining law, the Bishops ask respect for the environment
- 2014-11-05 - The fight against drugs should be considered a State matter
- 2014-11-04 - Two thousand secondary school teachers gathered for the XII Education Forum