AMERICA/ARGENTINA - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
Chubut (Agenzia Fides) - Under the slogan "We all play in this world cup ... wear the sweater of life ... say no to drugs", the inhabitants of Trelew (1,300 km south of Buenos Aires), today will celebrate "World Day against the consumption and illicit drug trafficking". The march will start after the words of the Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of Comodoro Rivadavia, His Exc. Mgr. Fernando Croxatto. The mayor of the city, says the note sent to Fides by a local source, said that this event does not need invitations or publicity, because "we all know the seriousness of the problem or even have a family member with this problem".
Civil authorities, motivating the participation of all, thanked for the commitment of different social groups working in this complex area, particularly the Catholic Church.
On Thursday, June 26th we celebrate "World Day against the consumption and illicit drug trafficking" launched in 1987 by the General Assembly of the United Nations to commemorate the goal shared by all member States of creating an international community free from drugs. In Argentina, the phenomenon has exploded as a major social problem and the Church is in the front row to combat this scourge (see Fides 05/05/2014) as well as that of violence (see Fides 14/05/2014 ). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/06/2014)
- 2014-07-08 - After 38 years the killers of the Bishop who fought for hope and dignity have been condemned
- 2014-06-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Social Week begins, to promote "the culture of meeting"
- 2014-06-26 - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
- 2014-06-25 - Bishops concerned about the national economic situation
- 2014-06-18 - A video against drugs: the Church launches a campaign on social networking sites
- 2014-05-28 - Church and civil authorities together for the safety of citizens
- 2014-05-26 - After 10 years, President Kirchner takes part in the Te Deum for the national holiday
- 2014-05-14 - "The country is sick of violence": proposal of Bishops to respond to this reality
- 2014-05-05 - Episcopal Assembly begins: "It is impossible to get used to drugs and violence"
- 2014-04-10 - For the Bishop of Posadas: "Lynchings, a serious social problem to be solved together"