AMERICA/ARGENTINA - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
Chubut (Agenzia Fides) - Under the slogan "We all play in this world cup ... wear the sweater of life ... say no to drugs", the inhabitants of Trelew (1,300 km south of Buenos Aires), today will celebrate "World Day against the consumption and illicit drug trafficking". The march will start after the words of the Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of Comodoro Rivadavia, His Exc. Mgr. Fernando Croxatto. The mayor of the city, says the note sent to Fides by a local source, said that this event does not need invitations or publicity, because "we all know the seriousness of the problem or even have a family member with this problem".
Civil authorities, motivating the participation of all, thanked for the commitment of different social groups working in this complex area, particularly the Catholic Church.
On Thursday, June 26th we celebrate "World Day against the consumption and illicit drug trafficking" launched in 1987 by the General Assembly of the United Nations to commemorate the goal shared by all member States of creating an international community free from drugs. In Argentina, the phenomenon has exploded as a major social problem and the Church is in the front row to combat this scourge (see Fides 05/05/2014) as well as that of violence (see Fides 14/05/2014 ). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/06/2014)
- 2015-11-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – For the Bishops: to encourage gambling addiction "is a crime against the poorest"
- 2015-11-25 - New President: the Church hopes stronger solidarity policies for vulnerable sectors
- 2015-11-20 - Thousands occupy houses and land, the Bishop denounces the absence of state authorities
- 2015-11-17 - Family, formation of priests, environmental problems: the topics analyzed by the Bishops
- 2015-11-11 - 140 years ago the first group of Salesian missionaries arrived in Patagonia
- 2015-11-09 - Assembly of Bishops in progress: Eucharistic Congress, family and priestly formation Buenos
- 2015-11-05 - Mining company withdraws from La Rioja: statement of the Bishop and the Deputy Governor
- 2015-11-04 - The request of the diocese to the State: "Do not suspend the subsidies to schools"
- 2015-11-03 - National Day of the Sick, an opportunity aimed to arouse greater sensitivity
- 2015-10-26 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – First stage of Bishop’s beatification process expected to take two years