AFRICA/D.R.CONGO - Emergency continues for girls accused of witchcraft
Bukavu (Agenzia Fides) - In the Democratic Republic of Congo the high rate of poverty and widespread superstition lead to dramatic consequences: many girls are considered to be the direct responsibility of family misfortunes, and accused of possessing occult powers, and end up on the street. To eradicate this serious custom and give support to young victims, the Movement Fight World Hunger (MLFM) has been supporting the Ek'Abana reception center, in the diocese of Bukavu. Among the primary objectives: to ensure the girls a Community context, but familiar, based on understanding, trust in themselves, affection; help them to live with responsibility and freedom; to feel protagonists of their future; help them to rediscover their qualities and abilities; support them in their studies; initiate a process of family mediation so that the young ones can be accepted again at home, where possible, with greater awareness on behalf of the family of origin.
The Centre has evolved over the years to cope with the need to accommodate more and more abandoned children. Being accused of witchcraft is not the only cause of abandonment since Foyer welcomes and takes care of children with mental retardation or whose family members are not able to allow them to grow. Designed to accommodate nine children, it has over time received more than two hundred children. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 26/06/2014)
- 2015-08-24 - Bishops' appeal to young Africans: "Stay in Africa to build a better continent"
- 2015-08-18 - After lengthy delay polling station distribution law approved
- 2015-08-10 - The Catholic Church celebrates 135 years of missions in the DRC
- 2015-07-31 - “Yes to dialogue, but with respect for the law”, local Catholic Church on political dialogue
- 2015-07-17 - New assaults of the ADF/MDI in the territory of Beni: fires, looting, pillaging
- 2015-07-13 - New attacks of the Muslim Defense International (MDI) in North Kivu
- 2015-06-30 - Bishops denounce insecurity and threats to family
- 2015-06-25 - "We respect the Constitution, no to Kabila’s third term", says civil society in South Kivu
- 2015-06-17 - "One votes on the basis of the existing electoral rolls" says the archdiocese of Kisangani
- 2015-06-12 - The UN representative offers himself as a mediator in the national dialogue