AFRICA/D.R.CONGO - Emergency continues for girls accused of witchcraft
Bukavu (Agenzia Fides) - In the Democratic Republic of Congo the high rate of poverty and widespread superstition lead to dramatic consequences: many girls are considered to be the direct responsibility of family misfortunes, and accused of possessing occult powers, and end up on the street. To eradicate this serious custom and give support to young victims, the Movement Fight World Hunger (MLFM) has been supporting the Ek'Abana reception center, in the diocese of Bukavu. Among the primary objectives: to ensure the girls a Community context, but familiar, based on understanding, trust in themselves, affection; help them to live with responsibility and freedom; to feel protagonists of their future; help them to rediscover their qualities and abilities; support them in their studies; initiate a process of family mediation so that the young ones can be accepted again at home, where possible, with greater awareness on behalf of the family of origin.
The Centre has evolved over the years to cope with the need to accommodate more and more abandoned children. Being accused of witchcraft is not the only cause of abandonment since Foyer welcomes and takes care of children with mental retardation or whose family members are not able to allow them to grow. Designed to accommodate nine children, it has over time received more than two hundred children. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 26/06/2014)
- 2014-12-22 - North Kivu: the conclusions of the meeting of the "wise men" to end the war in the Territory of Beni
- 2014-12-17 - Meeting of the "wise men" begins today to put an end to the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2014-12-16 - More groups commit massacres against civilians in Beni: maybe a new war?
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – More massacres in Beni area; civil society starts dialogue
- 2014-12-05 - More than 88,000 persons displaced by guerrilla violence; no words describe the tragedy and horror
- 2014-11-26 - The massacres in Beni: carried out by a criminal network made up of guerrillas and corrupt military
- 2014-11-25 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – The Bishops: "Violence against women is a crime against humanity"
- 2014-11-24 - Another massacre in North Kivu: 200 people were killed in the area in October
- 2014-11-19 - Ebola: No new cases registered in the Country
- 2014-11-17 - Stop to minerals of war: appeal to the European Union so that it strengthen controls