AMERICA/VENEZUELA - National holiday marked by demonstrations
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - Yesterday, June 24, the 193rd anniversary of the Battle of Carabobo was celebrated in Venezuela, which marked its independence from Spain. In addition to the official ceremonies, demonstrations against President Nicolas Maduro were held in Caracas and other cities in the country, and to demand the release of prisoners jailed for anti-government protests.
In fact, since February (see Fides 15/03/2014), some of the protests have been marked by episodes of intense violence, causing deaths, and injuries. The Catholic Church has reiterated its offer of mediation in dialogue with all the parties concerned, but the situation still remains without a solution.
In Caracas yesterday, several hundred protesters walked through the main streets of the affluent municipality of Chacao, where Maria Corina Machado (former MP), who is pushing for the resignation of Maduro, told the crowd that "the goal of the demonstration is independence, and the force to reach it is the unity of the opposition". Machado and the leader of the Voluntad Popular Party, Leopoldo Lopez (in prison), are identified by the government of Maduro as the main instigators of violence recorded in some anti-government protests. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/06/2014)
- 2015-05-19 - Casa-Hogar "Padre Machado" in El Valle occupied with violence for a few hours
- 2015-03-03 - Classes suspended in the University of Tachira, false accusations made against the Catholic University
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students
- 2015-02-20 - Police arrest Mayor of Caracas, for Archbishop Lückert “proof of dictatorship ”
- 2015-01-31 - Four churches attacked in Mérida
- 2015-01-30 - Mgr. Parra robbed during a parish meeting: "Money is spent on many things, but not on safety"
- 2015-01-13 - Dialogue to end the crisis: the exhortation of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-12 - Shops are empty: Cardinal Urosa calls on the government to act quickly and urges to remain calm