AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "Stop war and start talking". This is the urgent appeal by Christian and Muslim religious leaders to the government and the rebels of South Sudan so that thay apply the peace agreements signed on 11 June in Addis Ababa to end the civil conflict which broke out last December.
A statement sent to Fides by the religious organizations delegation present at the peace conference in Addis Ababa, denounces "the persistent non-compliance with agreements signed and unnecessary delays of peace talks" to the point that one wonders if these obstacles "are used as scapegoats to prepare for more war and bloodshed".
Religious leaders urge all parties to implement the peace agreements (including the formation of a government of national unity) without further delay, in order to avoid further suffering to the population exhausted by seven months of the war.
The conflict is between the government forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and a number of rebel groups loyal to former Vice President Riek Machar.
The peace talks underway in the Ethiopian capital are mediated by IGAD (the authorities of regional economic development) and attended by representatives of the religions of South Sudan grouped under the acronym Faith Based Organizations Peace Delegation, with the participation of the South Sudan Council of Churches and the South Sudan Islamic Council. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/06/2014)
- 2014-12-15 - Memorial Mass for the victims and for peace, a year after the outbreak of the Civil War
- 2014-11-14 - The first woman mayor of Yei killed: an act against the Church and against peace
- 2014-10-30 - Campaign against the recruitment of children in armed conflict: "Children, not soldiers"!
- 2014-10-21 - The warring parties recognize their responsibilities in the civil war, "an important step for peace"
- 2014-10-09 - The law that strengthens the powers of security services has been approved, the opposition protests
- 2014-10-07 - A million people at risk of hunger if the political crisis is not solved
- 2014-10-03 - South Sudan's authorities threaten Catholic community radio
- 2014-10-01 - Authorities have threatened to close down another Catholic radio
- 2014-09-29 - The Bishops denounce the manipulation of tribalism: "Put an end to the civil war now"
- 2014-09-23 - Religious leaders committed to calm tensions on the border with Uganda