AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "Stop war and start talking". This is the urgent appeal by Christian and Muslim religious leaders to the government and the rebels of South Sudan so that thay apply the peace agreements signed on 11 June in Addis Ababa to end the civil conflict which broke out last December.
A statement sent to Fides by the religious organizations delegation present at the peace conference in Addis Ababa, denounces "the persistent non-compliance with agreements signed and unnecessary delays of peace talks" to the point that one wonders if these obstacles "are used as scapegoats to prepare for more war and bloodshed".
Religious leaders urge all parties to implement the peace agreements (including the formation of a government of national unity) without further delay, in order to avoid further suffering to the population exhausted by seven months of the war.
The conflict is between the government forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and a number of rebel groups loyal to former Vice President Riek Machar.
The peace talks underway in the Ethiopian capital are mediated by IGAD (the authorities of regional economic development) and attended by representatives of the religions of South Sudan grouped under the acronym Faith Based Organizations Peace Delegation, with the participation of the South Sudan Council of Churches and the South Sudan Islamic Council. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/06/2014)
- 2014-07-22 - Child malnutrition rates skyrocket: +73% compared to 2013
- 2014-07-10 - 3 children die every day; 50 thousand at risk for malnutrition, diseases and ethnic conflicts
- 2014-07-03 - 6 hospitals looted or burned in a few months, at least 58 people killed in the hospitals
- 2014-06-24 - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
- 2014-06-13 - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia
- 2014-05-23 - 132 children abducted by the LRA have been released
- 2014-05-14 - Appeal of the World Council of Churches: "With the agreement signed, the real work starts now"
- 2014-05-05 - "Untold suffering of more than five thousand Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs" denounces the Assistant Parish Priest in Abyei
- 2014-04-30 - Child soldiers leave school to "avenge" their parents' death
- 2014-04-15 - Christian leaders’ appeal: "Stop the violence, this is not the future for which the people of the Country voted"