AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "Stop war and start talking". This is the urgent appeal by Christian and Muslim religious leaders to the government and the rebels of South Sudan so that thay apply the peace agreements signed on 11 June in Addis Ababa to end the civil conflict which broke out last December.
A statement sent to Fides by the religious organizations delegation present at the peace conference in Addis Ababa, denounces "the persistent non-compliance with agreements signed and unnecessary delays of peace talks" to the point that one wonders if these obstacles "are used as scapegoats to prepare for more war and bloodshed".
Religious leaders urge all parties to implement the peace agreements (including the formation of a government of national unity) without further delay, in order to avoid further suffering to the population exhausted by seven months of the war.
The conflict is between the government forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and a number of rebel groups loyal to former Vice President Riek Machar.
The peace talks underway in the Ethiopian capital are mediated by IGAD (the authorities of regional economic development) and attended by representatives of the religions of South Sudan grouped under the acronym Faith Based Organizations Peace Delegation, with the participation of the South Sudan Council of Churches and the South Sudan Islamic Council. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/06/2014)
- 2015-03-24 - "Inexperience and corruption are the cause of civil war" says the Bishop of Wau
- 2015-03-11 - The suffering of the population will increase with the war; the Church is making huge efforts
- 2015-03-10 - The civil war is likely to resume after the failure of Negotiations
- 2015-02-26 - A simple ambulance service can save the lives of hundreds of mothers and children
- 2015-02-19 - Elections postponed: a contribution towards peace
- 2015-02-10 - The UN: over 2.5 million people face food emergency because of the civil war
- 2015-02-04 - Year of Consecrated Life: Religious committed to healing the wounds of the Civil War
- 2015-01-30 - The Bishops denounce: "Land grabbing threatens the stability of the Country"
- 2015-01-16 - The importance of "true hospitality" towards refugees
- 2014-12-15 - Memorial Mass for the victims and for peace, a year after the outbreak of the Civil War