AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "Stop war and start talking". This is the urgent appeal by Christian and Muslim religious leaders to the government and the rebels of South Sudan so that thay apply the peace agreements signed on 11 June in Addis Ababa to end the civil conflict which broke out last December.
A statement sent to Fides by the religious organizations delegation present at the peace conference in Addis Ababa, denounces "the persistent non-compliance with agreements signed and unnecessary delays of peace talks" to the point that one wonders if these obstacles "are used as scapegoats to prepare for more war and bloodshed".
Religious leaders urge all parties to implement the peace agreements (including the formation of a government of national unity) without further delay, in order to avoid further suffering to the population exhausted by seven months of the war.
The conflict is between the government forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and a number of rebel groups loyal to former Vice President Riek Machar.
The peace talks underway in the Ethiopian capital are mediated by IGAD (the authorities of regional economic development) and attended by representatives of the religions of South Sudan grouped under the acronym Faith Based Organizations Peace Delegation, with the participation of the South Sudan Council of Churches and the South Sudan Islamic Council. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/06/2014)
- 2015-06-25 - Cholera and rains aggravate the humanitarian situation, thousands of refugees fleeing the war: the testimony of a missionary
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal from Torit: the few NGOs that have remained in South Sudan must not leave over 4 million displaced alone
- 2015-06-10 - New appeal of Christian leaders to stop the "senseless war"
- 2015-05-27 - Christian Churches: "Stop the violence, instigated by leaders, most of whom call themselves Christians"
- 2015-05-26 - Security situation worsens due to clashes
- 2015-05-04 - "Population left to themselves, we are determined to restore peace" say Christian leaders
- 2015-04-22 - Malakal: heavy fighting between soldiers from three different ethnic groups
- 2015-04-21 - Peripheral areas left to themselves due to national conflict: tribal clashes reawaken
- 2015-04-01 - "Stop the war immediately. If the parties are unable to reach agreement by themselves, then they must be persuaded to accept a solution" say Christian leaders
- 2015-03-24 - "Inexperience and corruption are the cause of civil war" says the Bishop of Wau