AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Young people on hunger strike, the situation is still blocked
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - It has now been three days since 15 students have taken the decision to begin a hunger strike in the church of La Chiquinquira, in the area of La Florida in the capital Caracas, demanding the intervention of the ecclesiastical authorities of the Catholic Church so that they express themselves against violations of freedom in Venezuela. The group of young people called the initiative "permanent fasting", and calls for the release of students who were arrested in various events that took place against the government.
Some students contacted the press to report what has been happening since February, when the students gave way to a series of anti-government protests, which were later joined by other social groups, some of them very violent, that resulted in deaths, injuries and several arrests (see Fides 15/03/2014; 14/04/2014). Insecurity, impunity, inflation and widespread violence are among the main problems to deal with in the Country.
Dialogue between President Maduro and representatives of the opposition, which was opened with the reading of a message from Pope Francis, seems to have stopped. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/06/2014)
- 2015-03-03 - Classes suspended in the University of Tachira, false accusations made against the Catholic University
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students
- 2015-02-20 - Police arrest Mayor of Caracas, for Archbishop Lückert “proof of dictatorship ”
- 2015-01-31 - Four churches attacked in Mérida
- 2015-01-30 - Mgr. Parra robbed during a parish meeting: "Money is spent on many things, but not on safety"
- 2015-01-13 - Dialogue to end the crisis: the exhortation of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-12 - Shops are empty: Cardinal Urosa calls on the government to act quickly and urges to remain calm
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Assembly of Bishops: dialogue to end the crisis and the necessity to find agreed solutions