AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Young people on hunger strike, the situation is still blocked
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - It has now been three days since 15 students have taken the decision to begin a hunger strike in the church of La Chiquinquira, in the area of La Florida in the capital Caracas, demanding the intervention of the ecclesiastical authorities of the Catholic Church so that they express themselves against violations of freedom in Venezuela. The group of young people called the initiative "permanent fasting", and calls for the release of students who were arrested in various events that took place against the government.
Some students contacted the press to report what has been happening since February, when the students gave way to a series of anti-government protests, which were later joined by other social groups, some of them very violent, that resulted in deaths, injuries and several arrests (see Fides 15/03/2014; 14/04/2014). Insecurity, impunity, inflation and widespread violence are among the main problems to deal with in the Country.
Dialogue between President Maduro and representatives of the opposition, which was opened with the reading of a message from Pope Francis, seems to have stopped. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/06/2014)
- 2015-08-12 - No social communications no democracy Bishop Lückert León speaks about the media
- 2015-08-11 - Drugs are lacking in the country, some use those for animals
- 2015-08-07 - There are 10,000 participants attending the III Youth National Meeting
- 2015-08-06 - National meeting among the indigenous communities for the protection of human rights
- 2015-07-21 - The body of a Franciscan who died a few days has been found
- 2015-07-20 - Games, songs, dances: a feast to celebrate children
- 2015-07-10 - Catholic Bishops: "The Christian experience must have social consequences"
- 2015-07-07 - Mgr. Padrón: "Corruption, repression, popular discontent characterize the present"
- 2015-07-06 - 35,000 people have been isolated due to floods, other 25,000 at risk
- 2015-06-22 - Hunger strike in 12 states for political prisoners, the Church has been asked to intervene