AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Young people on hunger strike, the situation is still blocked
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - It has now been three days since 15 students have taken the decision to begin a hunger strike in the church of La Chiquinquira, in the area of La Florida in the capital Caracas, demanding the intervention of the ecclesiastical authorities of the Catholic Church so that they express themselves against violations of freedom in Venezuela. The group of young people called the initiative "permanent fasting", and calls for the release of students who were arrested in various events that took place against the government.
Some students contacted the press to report what has been happening since February, when the students gave way to a series of anti-government protests, which were later joined by other social groups, some of them very violent, that resulted in deaths, injuries and several arrests (see Fides 15/03/2014; 14/04/2014). Insecurity, impunity, inflation and widespread violence are among the main problems to deal with in the Country.
Dialogue between President Maduro and representatives of the opposition, which was opened with the reading of a message from Pope Francis, seems to have stopped. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/06/2014)
- 2014-09-16 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Laity meet apostolic Nuncio, a tradition which encourages the unity of the Church
- 2014-08-12 - "Commit to a missionary cooperation", the V National Missionary Congress has concluded
- 2014-08-06 - The V National Missionary Congress begins
- 2014-07-14 - "Give teachers their salaries": church’s appeal in favor of teachers
- 2014-07-12 - "It is impossible to find a solution if you do not listen to the people", say the Bishops
- 2014-07-09 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: defeat pessimism and allow hope to grow
- 2014-06-25 - National holiday marked by demonstrations
- 2014-06-23 - Young people on hunger strike, the situation is still blocked
- 2014-05-21 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Dialogue resumes, but we need facts not promises
- 2014-05-14 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – What is feared is the failure of peace talks, today new student demonstration