AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Young people on hunger strike, the situation is still blocked
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - It has now been three days since 15 students have taken the decision to begin a hunger strike in the church of La Chiquinquira, in the area of La Florida in the capital Caracas, demanding the intervention of the ecclesiastical authorities of the Catholic Church so that they express themselves against violations of freedom in Venezuela. The group of young people called the initiative "permanent fasting", and calls for the release of students who were arrested in various events that took place against the government.
Some students contacted the press to report what has been happening since February, when the students gave way to a series of anti-government protests, which were later joined by other social groups, some of them very violent, that resulted in deaths, injuries and several arrests (see Fides 15/03/2014; 14/04/2014). Insecurity, impunity, inflation and widespread violence are among the main problems to deal with in the Country.
Dialogue between President Maduro and representatives of the opposition, which was opened with the reading of a message from Pope Francis, seems to have stopped. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/06/2014)
- 2015-11-26 - Tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa: "State officials must ask for peace"
- 2015-11-23 - With the closure of borders many children are unlikely to make their First Communion
- 2015-11-11 - The Bishops call for elections: "Free vote, essential to strengthen democracy"
- 2015-09-22 - The National Assembly of the PMS: solidarity with our brothers in the East
- 2015-09-18 - The National Assembly of Pastoral Care: Renew enthusiasm in evangelization
- 2015-09-17 - Crisis with Colombia: "Governments have not done their best to solve the crisis", said Mgr. Padron
- 2015-09-07 - Poverty and precariousness force people to seek food in the garbage
- 2015-09-01 - The Bishops on the situation of conflict with Colombia: "Human rights are the same for all"
- 2015-08-12 - No social communications no democracy Bishop Lückert León speaks about the media
- 2015-08-11 - Drugs are lacking in the country, some use those for animals