AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Young people on hunger strike, the situation is still blocked
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - It has now been three days since 15 students have taken the decision to begin a hunger strike in the church of La Chiquinquira, in the area of La Florida in the capital Caracas, demanding the intervention of the ecclesiastical authorities of the Catholic Church so that they express themselves against violations of freedom in Venezuela. The group of young people called the initiative "permanent fasting", and calls for the release of students who were arrested in various events that took place against the government.
Some students contacted the press to report what has been happening since February, when the students gave way to a series of anti-government protests, which were later joined by other social groups, some of them very violent, that resulted in deaths, injuries and several arrests (see Fides 15/03/2014; 14/04/2014). Insecurity, impunity, inflation and widespread violence are among the main problems to deal with in the Country.
Dialogue between President Maduro and representatives of the opposition, which was opened with the reading of a message from Pope Francis, seems to have stopped. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/06/2014)
- 2015-06-22 - Hunger strike in 12 states for political prisoners, the Church has been asked to intervene
- 2015-06-19 - "They have our support": Mgr. Conde receives young people on hunger strike and writes to the Pope
- 2015-06-05 - Appeal to the authorities in favor of protesters on hunger strike
- 2015-06-03 - The Church calls on the authorities to respond to the students on hunger strike
- 2015-05-30 - Six young people on hunger strike in a church in Caracas
- 2015-05-19 - Casa-Hogar "Padre Machado" in El Valle occupied with violence for a few hours
- 2015-03-03 - Classes suspended in the University of Tachira, false accusations made against the Catholic University
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students