ASIA/SYRIA - Aleppo still without water, churches reactivate the wells
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - The city of Aleppo has been without water again for two days. The repeated suspension of water supplies in recent weeks has become an instrument of pressure in the hands of rebel militias that surround the metropolis of northern Syria and maintain under its control pumping stations. From time to time, and in spite of the raising awareness and mediation implemented by the operators of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, the water supply is suspended for days and the civilian population is suffering from yet another collective punishment, even more oppressive in the hot summer months. "In our churches and mosques" says to Fides Agency the Armenian Catholic Archbishop Boutros Marayati, in order to meet the emergency we have reactivated ancient wells that provide access to groundwater faults. Families come to fetch water to wash and clean their clothes". But also the same water is used for drinking, although it is not drinkable. This increases the risk of infections and epidemics.
In recent days, His Exc. Mgr.
Marayati went along with the Orthodox Bishop of Aleppo to visit the district of al-Maidan, inhabited by Armenians and subjected for weeks to a massive rocket fire by the rebels. "We found homes and schools destroyed" refers the Archbishop to Fides, "and many people have sought refuge in churches, which are also targeted. All are taken by the necessity of daily survival. There is also the concern for the news that comes from outside, such as the capture of the Iraqi city of Mosul by Islamists. That such a large city could fall in that way, from one day to another, here it is seen as a worrying sign". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 17/06/2014)
- 2014-09-18 - Children have died due to contaminated measle vaccine
- 2014-09-05 - Armenian Catholic Synod: in agenda Genocide centenary, martyrs’ beatification, situation of Middle East Christians
- 2014-09-03 - Christians in Qamishli collect aid for Yazidis fleeing Iraq
- 2014-08-21 - Mission of the Patriarchs in Iraq. The Chaldean Patriarch: no to sectarian militias
- 2014-07-31 - Aleppo, missile at the Armenian Catholic Church. Three dead
- 2014-07-30 - Pax Christi International: the arms trade fuels the Syrian conflict
- 2014-07-24 - Thousands of children excluded from the vaccination campaign against polio which has resurfaced in the Country
- 2014-07-08 - The government army towards Aleppo. Bishop Audo: we are on edge between hopes and fears, we also lack drinking water
- 2014-06-17 - Aleppo still without water, churches reactivate the wells
- 2014-06-05 - Aleppo again without water, other missiles on the areas inhabited by the Armenians