ASIA/PAKISTAN - Christian politician killed by a bodyguard in Baluchistan
Quetta (Agenzia Fides) - The Christian leader Hendry Masih, an MP of Balochistan, was killed today, June 14, by his bodyguard in Quetta.
As Fides learns by the local Christian community, the incident has generated outrage and dismay in the Christian community, including religious minorities and the civic community. Masih was also known and appreciated as an activist for the rights of religious minorities. He was hit with gunfire from his bodyguard for reasons which are still unclear, was taken to hospital in critical condition, where he died as a result of his injuries.
The Prime Minister of Pakistan Nawaz Sharif has condemned the attack and offered his condolences to Masih’s family. "The extremists continue to claim victims. Religious minorities in Paksitan are not safe and are not protected. There is an ongoing war against minorities by Islamic radicals", says to Fides Sardar Mushtaq Gill, lawyer and defender of human rights. Representatives of NGOs and civil society remind us that even the governor of Punjab, the Muslim Salman Taseer was killed by his bodyguard because he had defended Asia Bibi, a Christian woman accused of blasphemy. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 14/06/2014)
- 2014-10-24 - Asia Bibi’s sentence damages tolerance in Pakistan
- 2014-10-22 - Interreligious marriage canceled after threats to a young married couple
- 2014-10-21 - Too many interests behind Asia Bibi’s case: the truth of the facts are covered up
- 2014-10-17 - The Church: "Asia Bibi sentenced, but hope is alive"
- 2014-10-16 - Asia Bibi’s death sentence confirmed by the Court of Appeal
- 2014-10-15 - Islamic extremists object to an interfaith marriage with violence
- 2014-10-13 - A court hearing for Asia Bibi
- 2014-10-13 - A regional system for the protection of human rights in South Asia is necessary
- 2014-10-10 - Nobel Peace Prize to Malala "recalls women's rights and the right to education"
- 2014-10-07 - The Islamic State makes its way in Pakistan: Christians respond with prayer