ASIA/PAKISTAN - Christian politician killed by a bodyguard in Baluchistan
Quetta (Agenzia Fides) - The Christian leader Hendry Masih, an MP of Balochistan, was killed today, June 14, by his bodyguard in Quetta.
As Fides learns by the local Christian community, the incident has generated outrage and dismay in the Christian community, including religious minorities and the civic community. Masih was also known and appreciated as an activist for the rights of religious minorities. He was hit with gunfire from his bodyguard for reasons which are still unclear, was taken to hospital in critical condition, where he died as a result of his injuries.
The Prime Minister of Pakistan Nawaz Sharif has condemned the attack and offered his condolences to Masih’s family. "The extremists continue to claim victims. Religious minorities in Paksitan are not safe and are not protected. There is an ongoing war against minorities by Islamic radicals", says to Fides Sardar Mushtaq Gill, lawyer and defender of human rights. Representatives of NGOs and civil society remind us that even the governor of Punjab, the Muslim Salman Taseer was killed by his bodyguard because he had defended Asia Bibi, a Christian woman accused of blasphemy. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 14/06/2014)
- 2014-12-19 - False accusations of blasphemy towards 11 Christians
- 2014-12-18 - Bishops: a minute of silence in Catholic schools, at Christmas prayer for peace
- 2014-12-17 - Civil society: "The Taliban and Pakistan are incompatible"
- 2014-12-17 - "Justice and Peace" Commission: after the massacre in Peshawar it is urgent to "rediscover unity"
- 2014-12-16 - Land grabbing, instrument of oppression against Christians
- 2014-12-09 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – A Christian woman beaten and humiliated: justice moves
- 2014-12-05 - Missio Christmas Campaign for Asia Bibi
- 2014-12-04 - Archbishop Coutts: “Advent in the spirit of love of neighbour”
- 2014-11-29 - Pakistani Christians in Italy: motion for religious freedom
- 2014-11-27 - The first Catholic radio in Pakistan