ASIA/PAKISTAN - Christian politician killed by a bodyguard in Baluchistan
Quetta (Agenzia Fides) - The Christian leader Hendry Masih, an MP of Balochistan, was killed today, June 14, by his bodyguard in Quetta.
As Fides learns by the local Christian community, the incident has generated outrage and dismay in the Christian community, including religious minorities and the civic community. Masih was also known and appreciated as an activist for the rights of religious minorities. He was hit with gunfire from his bodyguard for reasons which are still unclear, was taken to hospital in critical condition, where he died as a result of his injuries.
The Prime Minister of Pakistan Nawaz Sharif has condemned the attack and offered his condolences to Masih’s family. "The extremists continue to claim victims. Religious minorities in Paksitan are not safe and are not protected. There is an ongoing war against minorities by Islamic radicals", says to Fides Sardar Mushtaq Gill, lawyer and defender of human rights. Representatives of NGOs and civil society remind us that even the governor of Punjab, the Muslim Salman Taseer was killed by his bodyguard because he had defended Asia Bibi, a Christian woman accused of blasphemy. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 14/06/2014)
- 2014-11-25 - Christian tortured and killed while in police custody
- 2014-11-24 - Christian couple burned alive: the Supreme Court intervenes
- 2014-11-20 - Violence against minorities: the governor of Punjab meets religious leaders
- 2014-11-19 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – From the Bishops a "Magna Charta" to the government: to curb religious intolerance
- 2014-11-18 - Christian and Muslim leaders: it is urgent to amend the blasphemy law
- 2014-11-17 - Christian arrested for blasphemy; investigation into the murder of Kasur continues
- 2014-11-14 - Blasphemy in Pakistan, data on victims: who will pay off all the suffering?
- 2014-11-13 - Christian and Muslim leaders: justice and prayer for the couple burned alive
- 2014-11-12 - The state has given the St. Francis school back to the Church
- 2014-11-10 - Christians protest: "Punish the muggers of Kasur and repeal the blasphemy law"