ASIA/PAKISTAN - Christian politician killed by a bodyguard in Baluchistan
Quetta (Agenzia Fides) - The Christian leader Hendry Masih, an MP of Balochistan, was killed today, June 14, by his bodyguard in Quetta.
As Fides learns by the local Christian community, the incident has generated outrage and dismay in the Christian community, including religious minorities and the civic community. Masih was also known and appreciated as an activist for the rights of religious minorities. He was hit with gunfire from his bodyguard for reasons which are still unclear, was taken to hospital in critical condition, where he died as a result of his injuries.
The Prime Minister of Pakistan Nawaz Sharif has condemned the attack and offered his condolences to Masih’s family. "The extremists continue to claim victims. Religious minorities in Paksitan are not safe and are not protected. There is an ongoing war against minorities by Islamic radicals", says to Fides Sardar Mushtaq Gill, lawyer and defender of human rights. Representatives of NGOs and civil society remind us that even the governor of Punjab, the Muslim Salman Taseer was killed by his bodyguard because he had defended Asia Bibi, a Christian woman accused of blasphemy. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 14/06/2014)
- 2015-03-28 - Christian leaders: a Commission of inquiry regarding the massacre in Youhanabad
- 2015-03-26 - The Jinnah Institute: "Continuous and constant violence against religious minorities"
- 2015-03-26 - Guaranteed education to Shama and Shehzad’s children, Christian couple burned alive
- 2015-03-25 - Two Christians accused of the lynching of two suspected terrorists
- 2015-03-25 - Shots fired against agents in front of St. Peter’s church in Lahore
- 2015-03-24 - The General Vicar of Lahore: "Release the innocent among the Christians arrested"
- 2015-03-23 - The case of the young Christian tortured and killed by the police goes unpunished
- 2015-03-20 - The pastor of Youhanabad: "Critical situation, let us pray with the Via Crucis"
- 2015-03-17 - The Archbishop of Lahore at the funeral of the victims of Youhanabad: "Be men of peace"
- 2015-03-16 - The "Justice and Peace" Commission on the massacre of Christians: "Police negligent "