ASIA/PAKISTAN - Christian politician killed by a bodyguard in Baluchistan
Quetta (Agenzia Fides) - The Christian leader Hendry Masih, an MP of Balochistan, was killed today, June 14, by his bodyguard in Quetta.
As Fides learns by the local Christian community, the incident has generated outrage and dismay in the Christian community, including religious minorities and the civic community. Masih was also known and appreciated as an activist for the rights of religious minorities. He was hit with gunfire from his bodyguard for reasons which are still unclear, was taken to hospital in critical condition, where he died as a result of his injuries.
The Prime Minister of Pakistan Nawaz Sharif has condemned the attack and offered his condolences to Masih’s family. "The extremists continue to claim victims. Religious minorities in Paksitan are not safe and are not protected. There is an ongoing war against minorities by Islamic radicals", says to Fides Sardar Mushtaq Gill, lawyer and defender of human rights. Representatives of NGOs and civil society remind us that even the governor of Punjab, the Muslim Salman Taseer was killed by his bodyguard because he had defended Asia Bibi, a Christian woman accused of blasphemy. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 14/06/2014)
- 2015-05-28 - "The Church's mission continues despite terrorism", says the Director of the PMS
- 2015-05-27 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Changes to the blasphemy law: the government's bill, Christians approve
- 2015-05-26 - Christian lawyers: "The blasphemy law has to be abolished"
- 2015-05-25 - Accusation of blasphemy: violence in a Christian area in Lahore, but "no alarmism"
- 2015-05-22 - 106 indicted for the murder of two Christians burned alive: "A step towards justice"
- 2015-05-21 - Punjab moves to protect women victims of violence
- 2015-05-19 - "A warning to Pakistan", reaction to the murder for blasphemy in Afghanistan
- 2015-05-18 - Rosary and biblical apostolate in Faisalabad
- 2015-05-15 - Attack against the Ismaili community: the condemnation of Bishops
- 2015-05-11 - Lynching in Youhanabad: 47 Christians detained in prison