ASIA/IRAQ - Chaos in Iraq. Chaldean Priest: Christians now fear Civil War
Kirkuk (Agenzia Fides) - "Everything seems to be leading towards a military management crisis only, ie towards civil war. And now this scares many Christians even more than the advance of the Islamists: the war makes no distinction between soldiers, terrorists and civilians. It strikes Christians, Sunnis, Kurds and Shiites in the same way". This is how the Chaldean priest Kais Mumtaz from Kirkuk describes the prevailing sentiment to Fides Agency. Meanwhile, Iran has sent in the Iraqi capital, General Qassem Soleimani, while the same Iranian President Hassan Rohani during a press conference did not rule out a collaboration with Washington against the Sunni militia jiahdists of ISIL "if we see that the U.S.A"- said Rohani -"begin to oppose the terrorists in Iraq or elsewhere. "At the same time, the Iraqi Shia Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani and even the leaders of the Iranian Shiite militia Moqtada al Sadr and Asaib Ahl al Haq have called civilians to take up arms against the jihadists of the Islamic State of Iraq of the Levant. In recent days, after the fall of Mosul in the hands of ISIL, the same Iraqi Shiite President Nuri al-Maliki said he was ready to arm anyone who had decided to fight against the terrorists.
"But the advance of the militia of the ISIL" said Fr. Kais "was possible only because a part of the Sunni population supports them against the central government and because the army has fled, leaving weapons and vehicles in their hands. If the only way chosen is that of military sectarian clash, this leads to the destruction of the Country". On Wednesday, the Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans Louis Sako I Raphael had proposed the creation of a "national unity government" as a political response to the sectarian divisions that could lead to the dismemberment of Iraq. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 14/06/2014)
- 2015-06-18 - Chaldean Patriarch sends a message to Muslims for the start of Ramadan
- 2015-06-13 - Thousands of Christian homes taken by deception
- 2015-06-10 - Chaldean Patriarch: a year after the fall of Mosul, only national reconciliation can save the country
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"
- 2015-05-04 - Chaldean Patriarch opens discussion on the draft Constitution for the Iraqi Kurdistan Region
- 2015-05-02 - Military offensive to free the province of Nineveh. Chaldean priest: "Christians want to return to their homes"
- 2015-04-13 - Northern Iraq's displaced get own radio station
- 2015-03-30 - The Chaldean Church participates in the mourning for the death of Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV
- 2015-03-28 - Chaldean Patriarch to the UN: the "Arab Spring" impacted negatively on Christians
- 2015-03-16 - Chaldean Patriarch: a law against preachers who incite violence is needed