ASIA/IRAQ - Chaos in Iraq. Chaldean Priest: Christians now fear Civil War
Kirkuk (Agenzia Fides) - "Everything seems to be leading towards a military management crisis only, ie towards civil war. And now this scares many Christians even more than the advance of the Islamists: the war makes no distinction between soldiers, terrorists and civilians. It strikes Christians, Sunnis, Kurds and Shiites in the same way". This is how the Chaldean priest Kais Mumtaz from Kirkuk describes the prevailing sentiment to Fides Agency. Meanwhile, Iran has sent in the Iraqi capital, General Qassem Soleimani, while the same Iranian President Hassan Rohani during a press conference did not rule out a collaboration with Washington against the Sunni militia jiahdists of ISIL "if we see that the U.S.A"- said Rohani -"begin to oppose the terrorists in Iraq or elsewhere. "At the same time, the Iraqi Shia Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani and even the leaders of the Iranian Shiite militia Moqtada al Sadr and Asaib Ahl al Haq have called civilians to take up arms against the jihadists of the Islamic State of Iraq of the Levant. In recent days, after the fall of Mosul in the hands of ISIL, the same Iraqi Shiite President Nuri al-Maliki said he was ready to arm anyone who had decided to fight against the terrorists.
"But the advance of the militia of the ISIL" said Fr. Kais "was possible only because a part of the Sunni population supports them against the central government and because the army has fled, leaving weapons and vehicles in their hands. If the only way chosen is that of military sectarian clash, this leads to the destruction of the Country". On Wednesday, the Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans Louis Sako I Raphael had proposed the creation of a "national unity government" as a political response to the sectarian divisions that could lead to the dismemberment of Iraq. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 14/06/2014)
- 2014-09-13 - The school year in the Islamic Caliphate: the teaching of Syriac and Christian names of schools have been abolished
- 2014-09-11 - ASIA/IRAQ – Air raids hit areas adjacent to two churches in Mosul
- 2014-09-10 - Syrian Catholic priest says: Christians will return to the Plain of Ninive only when and if Mosul is freed
- 2014-09-05 - Head of Caritas Lebanon: we welcome Iraqi Christian refugees, but they are determined to leave the Middle East
- 2014-09-04 - Chaldean Catholic Patriarch: to free Ninive province we need a peacekeeping operation and Christians enrolled in local police force
- 2014-08-22 - Cardinal Fernando Filoni: my mission among the sufferings of the Iraqi brothers
- 2014-08-20 - Barzani: ready to arm Christian volunteers
- 2014-07-31 - Mosul, signs of revolt against the "Islamic Caliphate". Bishop Nona: So far no church has been destroyed
- 2014-07-26 - ASIA/IRAQ – Pope Francis calls the Chaldean Patriarch. Rumors about the destruction of churches in Mosul have been denied
- 2014-07-23 - Iraqi Bishops appeal to the Prime Minister and the government: "stop the catastrophe"