ASIA/INDIA - Christians threatened after the murder of a believer in Orissa
Bhubaneswar (Agenzia Fides) - The situation remains tense in Orissa after the murder of a Christian, in broad daylight. After the arrest of the murderers, fanatic Hindus, radical Hindu groups have staged demonstrations and threaten a massacre of Christians, if the killers are not released. The Christian killed was called Nimmaka Laxmaya and was about 50 years old. He was killed after a prayer meeting in the village of Dherubada in Orissa. As reported to Fides by the "Global Council of Indian Christians", the man was killed while returning home on May 25, after the baptism of his last child. According to the local faithful, it was a targeted and planned killing. The authors wanted to terrorize the believers and those who want to receive baptism, by converting to the Christian faith.
The man was followed and, when he was alone, he was attacked and killed cold-bloodedly, in a brutal manner. He was dragged with a rope around his neck and then the fanatics smashed his head with a large stone. The man's body was found by his newly baptized son who gave the alarm. Seeing him, his father's killers have also threatened the boy, saying, "If you do not deny Jesus Christ you will have the same fate as your father".
After the complaint, also made with the assistance of a local Protestant pastor, the police arrested the killers. At this point, radical groups have launched a campaign requesting the release and threatening a massacre of Christians. Recalling the anti-Christian pogrom in Orissa in 2008, Christian leaders and all the faithful of the area are terrified and afraid of tragic consequences for their community. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 13/06/2014)
- 2015-09-30 - Catholic cemetery vandalized and violence against the faithful
- 2015-09-28 - Salesians: "At the service of the poor youth, the disadvantaged, the migrant, in South Asia"
- 2015-09-23 - Catechesis and evangelization, a task entrusted to all the baptized
- 2015-09-22 - The Andhra Pradesh government assures support to Churches
- 2015-09-18 - A Carmelite nun killed in Kerala
- 2015-09-15 - Catholic activist threatened with death by Hindu radicals
- 2015-09-14 - Christians to the President of India: "Justice for the victims of the massacres in Orissa"
- 2015-09-11 - Bombay Archdiocese to hold National Eucharistic Congress in November
- 2015-09-04 - A Jesuit: the Census on religions denies the "fear of conversions"
- 2015-09-03 - May the Day of the martyrs of Orissa be a "national event"