ASIA/IRAQ - ISIL rebels seize Mosul. Christians flee to the Nineveh Plain
Mosul (Agenzia Fides) - Insurgents of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), conquered in the late evening of Monday, June 9th the seat of the provincial government in Mosul, Iraq’s second largest city. The governor Athel Nujafi was able to escape, before the building fell into the hands of the assailants armed with grenade launchers and machine guns mounted on all-terrain vehicles. Now the western part of the city is in the hands of the Islamists, who have already released thousands of inmates of a prison and are moving towards the army base with the intent to seize the military airport. On Monday 9, governor Nujiafi, with a televised appeal, urged the people of Mosul and the province to organize themselves into self-defense groups to resist the ISIL attack.
As Fides learns, the attack of al-qaeda militants has accelerated the flight of tens of Christian families to the villages in the Nineveh Plain, where in recent days the presence of the militia "Peshmerga" Kurds has strengthened. Those who were unable to flee are now trapped in their own homes, with a curfew and constant interruptions in electricity and water supply. During the offensive of the al-qaeda militia – about several thousands – the clashes were concentrated in the western suburbs where there is also the Chaldean cathedral. Yesterday, the Chaldean Bishop Amel Shamon Nona and the other Bishops of Mosul launched an appeal to keep churches and mosques open to pray for peace, also inviting shopkeepers to ensure that people have access to food and basic foodstuffs. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 10/06/2014)
- 2014-08-22 - Cardinal Fernando Filoni: my mission among the sufferings of the Iraqi brothers
- 2014-08-20 - Barzani: ready to arm Christian volunteers
- 2014-07-31 - Mosul, signs of revolt against the "Islamic Caliphate". Bishop Nona: So far no church has been destroyed
- 2014-07-26 - ASIA/IRAQ – Pope Francis calls the Chaldean Patriarch. Rumors about the destruction of churches in Mosul have been denied
- 2014-07-23 - Iraqi Bishops appeal to the Prime Minister and the government: "stop the catastrophe"
- 2014-07-23 - The jihadists of the "Caliphate" attack Tilkif, rejected by Kurdish Peshmerga
- 2014-07-22 - Last exodus from Mosul: nearly three thousand Christians
- 2014-07-21 - ASIA/IRAQ – The Syrian Monastery of Mar Behnam in the hands of the militia of the "Islamic Caliphate"
- 2014-07-18 - The last Christian families leave Mosul
- 2014-07-16 - In Mosul, the Islamic Caliphate orders: no aid to Christians and Shiites, while their homes are being expropriated