AMERICA/MEXICO - The Caravan of Central American migrants ask for the recognition of refugees
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - The caravan of Central American migrants, consisting of a hundred people, will meet today, June 9, representatives of the Mexican Episcopal Conference. The group of migrants, who come from Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala and Nicaragua, ask the Mexican government to give them an answer regarding their request to be accepted as refugees, an application they submitted to the Commission for Refugees (Comar), placed under the Ministry of the Interior .
On June 4, the migrants already met with the four ambassadors of their respective countries.
According to information sent to Fides Agency, the meeting was held at the headquarters of the Human Rights Commission of the Federal District. On that occasion they shared their fears with diplomats, they told them their stories, their lives, the violations and abuses suffered during their journey.
The immigrants asked for support, concrete actions and not to be indifferent to their pain.
"We want to find together a solution to this basic problem - said one of the migrants - and see proposals for the creation of jobs in our countries, with social programs". The caravan of Central American migrants arrived in Mexico City to visit the Basilica of the Virgin of Guadalupe, where on June 6 they participated in a liturgical celebration presided by Fr. Giovanni Bizzotto, of the Missionaries of St. Charles, and by Father Alejandro Solalinde, director of the migrant's home "Hermanos en El Camino". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/06/2014)
- 2015-04-17 - The Assembly of Bishops: "Without trust and participation we cannot go forth!"
- 2015-04-15 - Every year thousands of children are born on the street, at home or in situations considered at high risk
- 2015-04-14 - Meeting between the Church and those responsible of the elections: no to boycott
- 2015-04-09 - Another priest killed
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce