AMERICA/MEXICO - The Caravan of Central American migrants ask for the recognition of refugees
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - The caravan of Central American migrants, consisting of a hundred people, will meet today, June 9, representatives of the Mexican Episcopal Conference. The group of migrants, who come from Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala and Nicaragua, ask the Mexican government to give them an answer regarding their request to be accepted as refugees, an application they submitted to the Commission for Refugees (Comar), placed under the Ministry of the Interior .
On June 4, the migrants already met with the four ambassadors of their respective countries.
According to information sent to Fides Agency, the meeting was held at the headquarters of the Human Rights Commission of the Federal District. On that occasion they shared their fears with diplomats, they told them their stories, their lives, the violations and abuses suffered during their journey.
The immigrants asked for support, concrete actions and not to be indifferent to their pain.
"We want to find together a solution to this basic problem - said one of the migrants - and see proposals for the creation of jobs in our countries, with social programs". The caravan of Central American migrants arrived in Mexico City to visit the Basilica of the Virgin of Guadalupe, where on June 6 they participated in a liturgical celebration presided by Fr. Giovanni Bizzotto, of the Missionaries of St. Charles, and by Father Alejandro Solalinde, director of the migrant's home "Hermanos en El Camino". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/06/2014)
- 2015-07-27 - Mariachi Zombie: amusing animated television series discredits bad zombie myth
- 2015-07-22 - Truth, justice, forgiveness and reconciliation: the pillars of peace promoted by the Church
- 2015-07-20 - Young Chiapas form an orchestra with pre-Hispanic instruments
- 2015-07-14 - Bishops on the escape of El Chapo, "we are not naive, we must eradicate corruption"
- 2015-07-13 - "Corruption spreads when transparency remains only good intentions": the Catholic voice before the scandals
- 2015-07-02 - A recreational project for indigenous children of different ethnicities
- 2015-07-02 - Widespread violence does not spare even three elderly nuns
- 2015-06-25 - Periodic monitoring of the situation of migrants, joint efforts of government and Church
- 2015-06-15 - Bishop of Mazatlan’s appeal after the violence perpetrated during the weekend
- 2015-06-13 - A card to distinguish true priests from false priests