AMERICA/MEXICO - The Caravan of Central American migrants ask for the recognition of refugees
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - The caravan of Central American migrants, consisting of a hundred people, will meet today, June 9, representatives of the Mexican Episcopal Conference. The group of migrants, who come from Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala and Nicaragua, ask the Mexican government to give them an answer regarding their request to be accepted as refugees, an application they submitted to the Commission for Refugees (Comar), placed under the Ministry of the Interior .
On June 4, the migrants already met with the four ambassadors of their respective countries.
According to information sent to Fides Agency, the meeting was held at the headquarters of the Human Rights Commission of the Federal District. On that occasion they shared their fears with diplomats, they told them their stories, their lives, the violations and abuses suffered during their journey.
The immigrants asked for support, concrete actions and not to be indifferent to their pain.
"We want to find together a solution to this basic problem - said one of the migrants - and see proposals for the creation of jobs in our countries, with social programs". The caravan of Central American migrants arrived in Mexico City to visit the Basilica of the Virgin of Guadalupe, where on June 6 they participated in a liturgical celebration presided by Fr. Giovanni Bizzotto, of the Missionaries of St. Charles, and by Father Alejandro Solalinde, director of the migrant's home "Hermanos en El Camino". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/06/2014)
- 2014-12-15 - The Church reminds authorities that they even have to respond to the law for their actions
- 2014-12-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Conclusion of the 10th "Caravan of hope": 9 missing migrants found
- 2014-12-10 - The Church close to the families of the missing students and engaged in proposing solutions
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – After14 years ordination of 9 Indigenous permanent deacons
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Young man dies to obtain justice
- 2014-12-06 - Bishop of Torreón calls for “more proposals and less protests to achieve peace”
- 2014-12-03 - Bishop Alba: "We cannot allow criminals steal our streets, steal our peace"
- 2014-11-29 - After improvised lessons in the street, minors are forced to bring chairs in a house used as a school every day
- 2014-11-29 - Students missing: "The authorities must clarify the situation", said the Bishop of Tlaxcala
- 2014-11-28 - From the first Sunday of Advent: Twelve Days of Prayer for Peace