ASIA/IRAQ - Christian political acronyms relaunch the project of an autonomous province for the "Nineveh Plain"
Dohuk (Agenzia Fides) - The Iraqi political parties of Christian origin are trying to relaunch the project of creating an autonomous province in the Nineveh Plain, the area in the north of the Country with a heavy concentration of Christian population. In a meeting held on Thursday, June 5 in the city of Dohuk, in Iraqi Kurdistan, the representatives of eight political acronyms animated by Chaldean, Syrian and Assyrian activists - starting from the Assyrian Democratic Movement - agreed to propose the project to the new government. As learned from Fides, the meeting was also attended by local Christian administrators. The political representatives reaffirmed the need to safeguard the unity of the eventual autonomous province, rejecting any hypothesis of division or political-administrative reshaping of the territory. During the meeting the decision to send an Iraqi Christian delegation of politicians and parliamentarians to the United States was taken in order to discuss the issue with members and leaders of local Iraqi Christian communities in the Diaspora. In the declared intention by the supporters, the creation of an autonomous province in the Nineveh Plain represents a tool to protect and promote the survival of a component within the indigenous Christian population of Iraq, and to try to stem the exodus of Christians from the Country. The exponents of the Christian political acronyms, as reported by the website ankawa.com, have also been called to deal with the prospect to support the Alliance for Kurdistan at a parliamentary level, after the proposals in this direction came from the leading Kurdish politicians. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 06/06/2014)
- 2015-07-03 - The founding conference of the Chaldean League has concluded
- 2015-07-01 - An international conference in Erbil to found the "League of the Chaldeans"
- 2015-06-18 - Chaldean Patriarch sends a message to Muslims for the start of Ramadan
- 2015-06-13 - Thousands of Christian homes taken by deception
- 2015-06-10 - Chaldean Patriarch: a year after the fall of Mosul, only national reconciliation can save the country
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"
- 2015-05-04 - Chaldean Patriarch opens discussion on the draft Constitution for the Iraqi Kurdistan Region
- 2015-05-02 - Military offensive to free the province of Nineveh. Chaldean priest: "Christians want to return to their homes"
- 2015-04-13 - Northern Iraq's displaced get own radio station
- 2015-03-30 - The Chaldean Church participates in the mourning for the death of Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV