ASIA/IRAQ - Christian political acronyms relaunch the project of an autonomous province for the "Nineveh Plain"
Dohuk (Agenzia Fides) - The Iraqi political parties of Christian origin are trying to relaunch the project of creating an autonomous province in the Nineveh Plain, the area in the north of the Country with a heavy concentration of Christian population. In a meeting held on Thursday, June 5 in the city of Dohuk, in Iraqi Kurdistan, the representatives of eight political acronyms animated by Chaldean, Syrian and Assyrian activists - starting from the Assyrian Democratic Movement - agreed to propose the project to the new government. As learned from Fides, the meeting was also attended by local Christian administrators. The political representatives reaffirmed the need to safeguard the unity of the eventual autonomous province, rejecting any hypothesis of division or political-administrative reshaping of the territory. During the meeting the decision to send an Iraqi Christian delegation of politicians and parliamentarians to the United States was taken in order to discuss the issue with members and leaders of local Iraqi Christian communities in the Diaspora. In the declared intention by the supporters, the creation of an autonomous province in the Nineveh Plain represents a tool to protect and promote the survival of a component within the indigenous Christian population of Iraq, and to try to stem the exodus of Christians from the Country. The exponents of the Christian political acronyms, as reported by the website ankawa.com, have also been called to deal with the prospect to support the Alliance for Kurdistan at a parliamentary level, after the proposals in this direction came from the leading Kurdish politicians. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 06/06/2014)
- 2014-09-13 - The school year in the Islamic Caliphate: the teaching of Syriac and Christian names of schools have been abolished
- 2014-09-11 - ASIA/IRAQ – Air raids hit areas adjacent to two churches in Mosul
- 2014-09-10 - Syrian Catholic priest says: Christians will return to the Plain of Ninive only when and if Mosul is freed
- 2014-09-05 - Head of Caritas Lebanon: we welcome Iraqi Christian refugees, but they are determined to leave the Middle East
- 2014-09-04 - Chaldean Catholic Patriarch: to free Ninive province we need a peacekeeping operation and Christians enrolled in local police force
- 2014-08-22 - Cardinal Fernando Filoni: my mission among the sufferings of the Iraqi brothers
- 2014-08-20 - Barzani: ready to arm Christian volunteers
- 2014-07-31 - Mosul, signs of revolt against the "Islamic Caliphate". Bishop Nona: So far no church has been destroyed
- 2014-07-26 - ASIA/IRAQ – Pope Francis calls the Chaldean Patriarch. Rumors about the destruction of churches in Mosul have been denied
- 2014-07-23 - Iraqi Bishops appeal to the Prime Minister and the government: "stop the catastrophe"