AMERICA/MEXICO - The hydroelectric megaprojects damage 20,000 indigenous
Puerto Escondido (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of Puerto Escondido, His Exc. Mgr. Pedro Vasquez Villalobos, has spoken out against the hydroelectric megaprojects, particularly that of Paso de Reina, that the government intends to implement in the municipalities of Santiago Ixtayutla, Santa Cruz Zenzontepec, Santiago Tetepec, Santiago Jamiltepec and Tututepec. Nearly 20,000 inhabitants of the indigenous population and non (ethnic peoples Mixtec, Chatinos, Afro-Mexicans and mestizos) would be damaged.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency by a local source, Mgr. Vasquez pointed out that the indigenous are the rightful owners of the lands and territories now threatened by the large dam project, which could directly affect 3,100 acres of 40 communities in six municipalities. These properties, said the Bishop, "possess great wealth, which is not, however, like those of banks or listed on the Stock Exchange. These peoples are the guardians of the water, plants, animals and the land in which they live. They are descendants of the great cultures and have great values, such as the true meaning of holidays and languages, which are part of their identity".
It is not the first time that the Church denounces situations of this kind, as in Veracruz, where there are still tensions in the area for the work of the hydroelectric power plant (see Fides 15/04/2014). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/06/2014)
- 2014-10-21 - When you do not respect the right of even one person, it jeopardizes the right of all
- 2014-10-21 - 2000 children have been killed or maimed between 2006 and 2014
- 2014-10-15 - "Never accept violence as a solution", warns Mgr. Lona Reyes who proposes a prayer campaign
- 2014-10-14 - Bishops on the Iguala case: "clarify what happened, the truth is the path to justice"
- 2014-10-10 - The tragedy of Iguala and its consequences: a letter from the Archbishop of Acapulco
- 2014-10-09 - Corrupt policemen and climate of mistrust, the Bishop of La Paz denounces the silence of the authorities
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction
- 2014-09-24 - Priest found dead in the river Balsas
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"
- 2014-09-16 - "To be free is to recognise goodness and see that evil enslaves”: Independence Day celebrations