AMERICA/MEXICO - The hydroelectric megaprojects damage 20,000 indigenous
Puerto Escondido (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of Puerto Escondido, His Exc. Mgr. Pedro Vasquez Villalobos, has spoken out against the hydroelectric megaprojects, particularly that of Paso de Reina, that the government intends to implement in the municipalities of Santiago Ixtayutla, Santa Cruz Zenzontepec, Santiago Tetepec, Santiago Jamiltepec and Tututepec. Nearly 20,000 inhabitants of the indigenous population and non (ethnic peoples Mixtec, Chatinos, Afro-Mexicans and mestizos) would be damaged.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency by a local source, Mgr. Vasquez pointed out that the indigenous are the rightful owners of the lands and territories now threatened by the large dam project, which could directly affect 3,100 acres of 40 communities in six municipalities. These properties, said the Bishop, "possess great wealth, which is not, however, like those of banks or listed on the Stock Exchange. These peoples are the guardians of the water, plants, animals and the land in which they live. They are descendants of the great cultures and have great values, such as the true meaning of holidays and languages, which are part of their identity".
It is not the first time that the Church denounces situations of this kind, as in Veracruz, where there are still tensions in the area for the work of the hydroelectric power plant (see Fides 15/04/2014). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/06/2014)
- 2015-05-28 - The churches of Piedras Negras become centers of aid to people affected by the tornado
- 2015-05-27 - Tornado among the strongest recorded in the country affects Ciudad Acuña: 14 deaths and massive damage
- 2015-05-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Mgr. Moreno Barron’s appeal: Go and vote, do not sell your vote
- 2015-05-19 - Six million Mexican children do not go to school because of discrimination
- 2015-05-13 - Tarahumara children sleep in schools so they are not forced to walk five hours
- 2015-05-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – When will violence be stopped?
- 2015-05-11 - Mgr. Armendáriz to candidates: "We want proposals rather than promises"
- 2015-05-06 - The monumental image of the "Cristo de las Noas" will be donated to the diocese of Torreon
- 2015-04-30 - Toys, sweets, clothes, shoes: collection in favor of the more vulnerable indigenous children
- 2015-04-27 - Cardinal Robles: "There is corruption, mistrust, culture of violence, but we must propose a Church that goes forth"