AMERICA/MEXICO - The hydroelectric megaprojects damage 20,000 indigenous
Puerto Escondido (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of Puerto Escondido, His Exc. Mgr. Pedro Vasquez Villalobos, has spoken out against the hydroelectric megaprojects, particularly that of Paso de Reina, that the government intends to implement in the municipalities of Santiago Ixtayutla, Santa Cruz Zenzontepec, Santiago Tetepec, Santiago Jamiltepec and Tututepec. Nearly 20,000 inhabitants of the indigenous population and non (ethnic peoples Mixtec, Chatinos, Afro-Mexicans and mestizos) would be damaged.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency by a local source, Mgr. Vasquez pointed out that the indigenous are the rightful owners of the lands and territories now threatened by the large dam project, which could directly affect 3,100 acres of 40 communities in six municipalities. These properties, said the Bishop, "possess great wealth, which is not, however, like those of banks or listed on the Stock Exchange. These peoples are the guardians of the water, plants, animals and the land in which they live. They are descendants of the great cultures and have great values, such as the true meaning of holidays and languages, which are part of their identity".
It is not the first time that the Church denounces situations of this kind, as in Veracruz, where there are still tensions in the area for the work of the hydroelectric power plant (see Fides 15/04/2014). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/06/2014)
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop
- 2014-07-31 - The Bishops: "Family Reunification for immigrant children"
- 2014-07-31 - Major epidemiological control towards the chikungunya virus
- 2014-07-30 - Prisons become "universities of crime": the Church insists on re-education
- 2014-07-28 - Over five thousand people march for peace and for life
- 2014-07-15 - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
- 2014-07-15 - Bishop Aguilar’s appeal : "Migrant children are not intruders or invaders"
- 2014-07-14 - Cardinal Parolin, Vatican's Secretary of State, in Mexico for the emergency regarding emigration