AMERICA/MEXICO - The hydroelectric megaprojects damage 20,000 indigenous
Puerto Escondido (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of Puerto Escondido, His Exc. Mgr. Pedro Vasquez Villalobos, has spoken out against the hydroelectric megaprojects, particularly that of Paso de Reina, that the government intends to implement in the municipalities of Santiago Ixtayutla, Santa Cruz Zenzontepec, Santiago Tetepec, Santiago Jamiltepec and Tututepec. Nearly 20,000 inhabitants of the indigenous population and non (ethnic peoples Mixtec, Chatinos, Afro-Mexicans and mestizos) would be damaged.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency by a local source, Mgr. Vasquez pointed out that the indigenous are the rightful owners of the lands and territories now threatened by the large dam project, which could directly affect 3,100 acres of 40 communities in six municipalities. These properties, said the Bishop, "possess great wealth, which is not, however, like those of banks or listed on the Stock Exchange. These peoples are the guardians of the water, plants, animals and the land in which they live. They are descendants of the great cultures and have great values, such as the true meaning of holidays and languages, which are part of their identity".
It is not the first time that the Church denounces situations of this kind, as in Veracruz, where there are still tensions in the area for the work of the hydroelectric power plant (see Fides 15/04/2014). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/06/2014)
- 2015-10-08 - Bible in Tzotzil language, completed the work desired by more than 350,000 faithful
- 2015-09-30 - Parish canteen transformed into a hall to exhibit the photographs of missing persons
- 2015-09-28 - Mgr. Arizmendi on the events in Chiapas: "Yes to protest, but never with violence"
- 2015-09-26 - "No one can remain indifferent". A year ago, the massacre of 43 students in Iguala
- 2015-09-25 - Proposal for reform to combat the poverty of 20 million children
- 2015-09-21 - Free surgeries for children and adults with cleft lip and palate
- 2015-09-15 - "In Mexico there is no real administration of justice" says the Archdiocese of Mexico
- 2015-09-08 - Meeting of the Bishops of Mexico and the United States on the expulsion of immigrants
- 2015-09-04 - May our nation be an open space for respectable migration, in justice and peace
- 2015-08-03 - Solidarity Prize: Spanish Bishops in favour of Las Patronas candidature