ASIA/PAKISTAN - Protestant pastor kidnapped and robbed, saved by the faithful
Okara (Agenzia Fides) - On June 3, five armed men entered the home of Rev. David Hanook, Protestant Pastor of the Church of Pakistan (Anglican), in a village near Okara, in the diocese of Lahore, taking the Pastor and his entire family hostage for four hours. The men stole valuables, threatening and terrorizing the family. Only the intervention of the guardian saved them from a worse fate: hearing the noises, the guardian called other Christians in the area who bravely surrounded the Pastor’s house, forcing the robbers to flee.
The Pastor has filed a complaint to the police. According to local sources of Fides, it is suspected that the criminals are radical Muslims who already days before threatened to set fire to the Christian village. The Pastor’s family, who now are no longer safe in the village, will be forced to change residence. "We faced death, but the Lord Jesus Christ had mercy on us and saved us", said the Pastor of the LEAD organization, which defends Pakistani Christians, giving them legal assistance. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 06/05/2014)
- 2015-05-06 - A Christian woman files for nominations in the elections in the province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
- 2015-05-04 - Muslim leaders and Christians together for religious harmony in Youhanabad
- 2015-05-02 - Murders of activists and intellectuals: concern of civil society
- 2015-04-22 - The state of human rights in the country worsens
- 2015-04-17 - Shots fired against a Catholic school in Lahore, three injured
- 2015-04-16 - The lawyers: "Justice after the death of Nauman Masih, killed because a Christian"
- 2015-04-15 - The Christian boy burnt alive by young Muslims has died
- 2015-04-14 - Religious leaders and politicians united for peace, against terrorism
- 2015-04-13 - A boy, burnt alive because a Christian, is in serious condition
- 2015-04-09 - School programs in the name of religious tolerance in Sindh