ASIA/PAKISTAN - Protestant pastor kidnapped and robbed, saved by the faithful
Okara (Agenzia Fides) - On June 3, five armed men entered the home of Rev. David Hanook, Protestant Pastor of the Church of Pakistan (Anglican), in a village near Okara, in the diocese of Lahore, taking the Pastor and his entire family hostage for four hours. The men stole valuables, threatening and terrorizing the family. Only the intervention of the guardian saved them from a worse fate: hearing the noises, the guardian called other Christians in the area who bravely surrounded the Pastor’s house, forcing the robbers to flee.
The Pastor has filed a complaint to the police. According to local sources of Fides, it is suspected that the criminals are radical Muslims who already days before threatened to set fire to the Christian village. The Pastor’s family, who now are no longer safe in the village, will be forced to change residence. "We faced death, but the Lord Jesus Christ had mercy on us and saved us", said the Pastor of the LEAD organization, which defends Pakistani Christians, giving them legal assistance. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 06/05/2014)
- 2014-09-30 - Pastor Zafar Bhatti is alive, another inmate wounded
- 2014-09-29 - Christian girl raped, the perpetrators film the violence
- 2014-09-27 - The Pastor killed in prison is "a new martyr"
- 2014-09-26 - Christian accused of blasphemy murdered in prison: condemnation of the Bishops
- 2014-09-22 - IS is looking for recruits in Pakistan, Christians are appealing to the government
- 2014-09-19 - Muslim leader accused of blasphemy killed: civil society meeting to ask for harmony
- 2014-09-18 - Execution of a person sentenced to death has been suspended
- 2014-09-17 - The Commission "Justice and Peace": stop the executioner, Pakistan must not go back in time
- 2014-09-11 - Christian family flees to save their daughters from forced conversion to Islam
- 2014-09-10 - Severe floods, Caritas sends volunteers