AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Tension among the population of Ñacunday and Saint Lucia
Saint Lucia (Agenzia Fides) - Sen. Sixto Pereira met yesterday, June 3, the Bishop of the Diocese of Ciudad del Este (Paraguay), His Exc. Mgr. Rogelio Ricardo Livieres Plano, in which the Bishop was asked to mediate between the parts, Ñacunday and Saint Lucia, in the dispute over land. For the parliament, the residents of the community of Saint Lucia have been evicted from their lands illegally, because they have the necessary documents and have all the papers in order. The note sent to Fides by a local source, also refers to the request of the political representative of the government: to act more responsibly and with documents in hand to find a definitive solution to the problem before a clash among Paraguayans explodes.
In order to apply the agrarian reform, the government had ordered, a few days ago, the transfer of 575 families from the area of Ñacunday to that of Saint Lucia, after living there for 14 years. This created tension among the population, as a matter of fact the people of Saint Lucia expressed their disagreement with regards to this "invasion" of their lands.
The local press reports that about 15 days ago, some buildings intended for people who had to come, were set on fire by unknown persons, and a few days later fire was set to the bridge of access in Saint Lucia, to prevent the arrival of the new population. This resulted in the intervention of the armed forces. The situation in the area remains very tense. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/06/2014)
- 2014-09-29 - The natives are victims of poverty and racism
- 2014-09-15 - “Terrorism can never be combatted with terrorism”; local Catholic church denounces military violence
- 2014-07-28 - Thousands of children displaced due to the floods
- 2014-06-04 - Tension among the population of Ñacunday and Saint Lucia
- 2014-05-27 - Isolated due to the rain and without the aid of the authorities, "but we are also Paraguayans", cries the Vicar Apostolic of Chaco Paraguayo
- 2014-04-10 - A march for the freedom of 5 peasants on hunger strike, accused of the Curuguaty massacre
- 2014-03-27 - General strike in the country; the Church supports those demanding justice and social solidarity
- 2014-03-07 - Dialogue between the Church and civil authorities on the problems regarding the population
- 2014-03-06 - The Church calls for "fair justice"
- 2014-02-24 - Campaign to vaccinate children against measles and rubella