AFRICA/CAMEROON - Missionaries released: "A grace of God and a time of joy for the Church", said Cardinal Filoni who met them
Yaounde (Agenzia Fides ) - "We thank God for this moment of joy he has given the Church of Cameroon", says Cardinal Fernando Filoni, Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, in a statement released by Fides Agency with regards to the release of the two Italian Fidei Donum priests, Don Gianantonio Allegri and Don Giampaolo Marta, and the Canadian religious, Sister Gilberte Bussier of the Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Montreal, released on the night of 31 May and 1 June.
The Cardinal was able to meet the kidnapped in Yaoundé, where he is preparing to leave for Rome after the conclusion of his pastoral visit in Cameroon and Equatorial Guinea. "They were excited and happy and I must say, in good physical and psychological condition. Certainly the fact that they were always together helped them to support each other", said the Cardinal. "This was a moment we hoped for - he adds - but at the same time unexpected, we had no inkling of a release in these days. It was a welcome surprise and above all a grace. They themselves told me: we could hear the prayer of the Church accompanied us and we hoped and had faith that the release could happen".
With regards to the identity of the kidnappers, Cardinal Filoni says: "investigation is in the hands of the civil authorities who maintain an understandable reticence. "The two priests and religious were kidnapped on April 4 in the Diocese of Maroua - Mokolo, in the north of Cameroon (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 02/06/2014)
- 2015-02-23 - Cameroonian press questions French policy to fight Boko Haram
- 2014-10-22 - African Catholic Bishops: "Respect democratic turnover"
- 2014-10-13 - "Only the Church assists victims of Boko Haram in the north of Cameroon," says a missionary
- 2014-09-03 - Humanitarian emergency for more than 30.000 people fleeing Boko Haram
- 2014-07-16 - Insecurity caused by Boko Haram: The Church promotes a day of prayer
- 2014-06-27 - An alleged kidnapper of the Italian missionaries and Canadian nun has been arrested
- 2014-06-02 - Missionaries released: "A grace of God and a time of joy for the Church", said Cardinal Filoni who met them
- 2014-05-30 - VATICAN – A Church which is dynamic, lively and growing, despite difficulties: Cardinal Filoni meets the Bishops and priests of Cameroon
- 2014-05-30 - VATICAN – A hundred years after the Evangelization of Bamenda: deepen your faith and renew your missionary commitment urges Cardinal Filoni
- 2014-05-27 - 100 years of evangelization in Bamenda: "We aim at the inculturation of faith and human promotion", says the Archbishop