ASIA/SYRIA – The jiahdists of ISIL in Raqqa confiscate the property of Christians
Raqqa (Agenzia Fides) - The militiamen of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), a Sunni jiahdist formation acting on the scenario of the Syrian conflict, confiscated houses and land belonging to Christian families in the area of Ein al-Issa, the area in the province of Raqqa inhabited mainly by Armenian Christians on Sunday, June 1st. According to Kurdish sources consulted by Fides Agency, the owners of the property confiscated by the Islamists were forced to leave the area.
The city and the area of Raqqa, in northern Syria, have long been under the control of the jihadists of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, that have already turned the main Armenian church in the capital in an office for the management of Islamic Affairs and for the promotion of the sharia.
In the past ISIL also organized symbolic actions, such as the burning of Bibles and Christian books. The kidnapping of the Roman Jesuit Paolo Dall’Oglio, who has been missing in Raqqa since early last August, has been attributed to members of this faction. At the beginning of 2014 other armed groups clashed militarily with the militiamen of ISIL, also accused by independent sources of imposing an oppressive and violent regime to the entire population of the area. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 02/06/2014)
ASIA/SYRIA – THE JIAHDISTS OF ISIL IN RAQQA CONFISCATE THE PROPERTY OF CHRISTIANS
- 2015-07-21 - Archbishop Hindo becomes "almost-mayor" of Hassaké
- 2015-07-20 - Armenians and Kurds fight together against the jihadists in Hassaké
- 2015-07-17 - Archbishop Antiba confirms the kidnapping of Father Antoine Boutros and his collaborator
- 2015-07-16 - A Melkite priest in the Syrian province of al-Suwayda missing. A kidnapping is feared
- 2015-07-07 - Cautious hopes for the release of the Franciscan parish priest taken away by jihadists
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear
- 2015-06-24 - Jihadist attacks in Hassaké. Archbishop Hindo: "they are a sign of weakness and desperation"
- 2015-06-16 - The central districts of Aleppo attacked by rebels
- 2015-06-15 - Patriarchs and Bishops of the Eastern Churches pray together for peace and commemorate the centenary of the "Assyrian Genocide" in Damascus