AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - 132 children abducted by the LRA have been released
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - 132 children abducted by the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA ) have been released by the Regional Taskforce of the African Union in charge of hunting down the rebel group of Ugandan origin that has been raging between the west of South Sudan, the north-east of the Democratic Republic of Congo ( DRC) and the south-eastern Central African Republic. This was revealed by the commander of the Regional Taskforce in Yambio (Western Equatoria State of Sudan) during a meeting of political and military leaders of the States.
According to the Sudan’s Catholic Radio Network, the commander of the multinational unit pointed out that the latest actions carried out by the Regional Taskforce have led, in addition to the release of the children, to the death of 502 members of the LRA and the surrender of 196.
The founder and leader of the LRA, Joseph Kony, has recently promoted one of his sons, Salim, second in command of the group. A sign of weakness, according to several observers, who believe that Kony does not trust most of his followers. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/05/2014)
- 2015-08-28 - The President orders the cease-fire, but expresses strong reservations on the peace agreement
- 2015-08-27 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – No celebration was held in Juba for the signing of the peace agreement, "too many deaths for us to rejoice"
- 2015-08-26 - Towards the signing of the peace agreement to end the conflict described by the UN as "a threat to the peace of the entire region"
- 2015-08-11 - The peace process led by the Council of Churches begins
- 2015-08-07 - There are few hopes that the peace agreement will be signed by 17 August
- 2015-08-05 - The government of Juba rejects IGAD's peace plan, criticized by many
- 2015-08-03 - “Peace now” women march through the streets of Juba
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – School instruction during emergency situations a basic humanitarian necessity
- 2015-07-17 - "We must start again from scratch", says the Bishop Emeritus of Juba
- 2015-07-10 - New peace initiative announced by the Church on the anniversary of independence