AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - 132 children abducted by the LRA have been released
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - 132 children abducted by the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA ) have been released by the Regional Taskforce of the African Union in charge of hunting down the rebel group of Ugandan origin that has been raging between the west of South Sudan, the north-east of the Democratic Republic of Congo ( DRC) and the south-eastern Central African Republic. This was revealed by the commander of the Regional Taskforce in Yambio (Western Equatoria State of Sudan) during a meeting of political and military leaders of the States.
According to the Sudan’s Catholic Radio Network, the commander of the multinational unit pointed out that the latest actions carried out by the Regional Taskforce have led, in addition to the release of the children, to the death of 502 members of the LRA and the surrender of 196.
The founder and leader of the LRA, Joseph Kony, has recently promoted one of his sons, Salim, second in command of the group. A sign of weakness, according to several observers, who believe that Kony does not trust most of his followers. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/05/2014)
- 2014-12-15 - Memorial Mass for the victims and for peace, a year after the outbreak of the Civil War
- 2014-11-14 - The first woman mayor of Yei killed: an act against the Church and against peace
- 2014-10-30 - Campaign against the recruitment of children in armed conflict: "Children, not soldiers"!
- 2014-10-21 - The warring parties recognize their responsibilities in the civil war, "an important step for peace"
- 2014-10-09 - The law that strengthens the powers of security services has been approved, the opposition protests
- 2014-10-07 - A million people at risk of hunger if the political crisis is not solved
- 2014-10-03 - South Sudan's authorities threaten Catholic community radio
- 2014-10-01 - Authorities have threatened to close down another Catholic radio
- 2014-09-29 - The Bishops denounce the manipulation of tribalism: "Put an end to the civil war now"
- 2014-09-23 - Religious leaders committed to calm tensions on the border with Uganda