AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - 132 children abducted by the LRA have been released
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - 132 children abducted by the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA ) have been released by the Regional Taskforce of the African Union in charge of hunting down the rebel group of Ugandan origin that has been raging between the west of South Sudan, the north-east of the Democratic Republic of Congo ( DRC) and the south-eastern Central African Republic. This was revealed by the commander of the Regional Taskforce in Yambio (Western Equatoria State of Sudan) during a meeting of political and military leaders of the States.
According to the Sudan’s Catholic Radio Network, the commander of the multinational unit pointed out that the latest actions carried out by the Regional Taskforce have led, in addition to the release of the children, to the death of 502 members of the LRA and the surrender of 196.
The founder and leader of the LRA, Joseph Kony, has recently promoted one of his sons, Salim, second in command of the group. A sign of weakness, according to several observers, who believe that Kony does not trust most of his followers. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/05/2014)
- 2015-11-09 - Violence, food insecurity, malnutrition: the population is exhausted
- 2015-11-04 - "South Sudan is not prepared to deal with terrorist infiltration"
- 2015-11-03 - Appeals from religious leaders regarding the fate of 80,000 displaced people in the woods
- 2015-11-03 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – The civil war continues to penalize the population: now the aim is survival
- 2015-10-20 - Apostolic Administrator of Torit: "It is more important to implement the peace agreement than create new States"
- 2015-10-08 - Perplexity about the creation of 28 new States
- 2015-10-02 - Malaria: 4,000 cases a week and the death of three children a day
- 2015-09-22 - Women, widows and orphans who live in absolute precariousness continues to increase
- 2015-09-15 - A Comboni Congolese missionary wounded in a road ambush
- 2015-09-03 - The Archbishop of Juba will inform Pope Francis on the situation in his country