AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - 132 children abducted by the LRA have been released
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - 132 children abducted by the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA ) have been released by the Regional Taskforce of the African Union in charge of hunting down the rebel group of Ugandan origin that has been raging between the west of South Sudan, the north-east of the Democratic Republic of Congo ( DRC) and the south-eastern Central African Republic. This was revealed by the commander of the Regional Taskforce in Yambio (Western Equatoria State of Sudan) during a meeting of political and military leaders of the States.
According to the Sudan’s Catholic Radio Network, the commander of the multinational unit pointed out that the latest actions carried out by the Regional Taskforce have led, in addition to the release of the children, to the death of 502 members of the LRA and the surrender of 196.
The founder and leader of the LRA, Joseph Kony, has recently promoted one of his sons, Salim, second in command of the group. A sign of weakness, according to several observers, who believe that Kony does not trust most of his followers. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/05/2014)
- 2014-08-20 - Security agents release South Sudanese news editor South
- 2014-08-19 - The Bishops' Conference define the closure of Radio Bakhita "unfortunate"
- 2014-08-18 - The main Catholic radio station in the Country has been shut down
- 2014-08-05 - Commitment of the Church and of all the agencies present in Eastern Equatoria to raise awareness against the cholera epidemic that is rampant in the Country
- 2014-07-30 - Thousands of children at risk for an outbreak of cholera
- 2014-07-22 - Child malnutrition rates skyrocket: +73% compared to 2013
- 2014-07-10 - 3 children die every day; 50 thousand at risk for malnutrition, diseases and ethnic conflicts
- 2014-07-03 - 6 hospitals looted or burned in a few months, at least 58 people killed in the hospitals
- 2014-06-24 - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
- 2014-06-13 - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia