AFRICA/MALAWI - Disorganization disturbs the conduct of the elections
Lilongwe (Agenzia Fides) - In Malawi the chaotic organization of the presidential, parliamentary and local elctions held on 20 May, generated tensions and accidents.
"Up until the early hours of the morning of 20 May logistical problems increased more and more" says Fr. Piergiorgio Gamba, a Monfortan missionary who for decades has been living and working in the Country.
"Especially in the cities, one perceives disorganization (lack of ballots, confusion regarding districts and candidates), to the point that people started reacting violently.
In places where the ballots arrived with delay, voting continued during the night, while where the ballots were destroyed (in particular in Blantyre and Lilongwe), voting continued the next day. Where the vote was regular the counting of votes began.
"The authorities have urged people to remain calm, but this does not mean that the many doubts that characterize these elections will give rise to different criticism", concludes Fr. Gamba (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/05/2014)
- 2014-09-23 - A "creative" finance act, while 640,000 people are at risk of hunger
- 2014-08-04 - The Bishops of Eastern Africa: "The threat to the family in our region is now more real than ever"
- 2014-07-16 - More than 250 Bishops from East Africa at the Assembly on new evangelization
- 2014-06-27 - Politics restarts a month after the election; "Transition towards normality is not easy", says a missionary
- 2014-05-31 - Malawi has a new President
- 2014-05-26 - Elections contested: the only thing certain are the irregularities and suspicions of fraud
- 2014-05-22 - Disorganization disturbs the conduct of the elections
- 2014-05-20 - "The most uncertain elections in the last 20 years, but democracy is a fact accepted by all", says a missionary
- 2014-04-03 - Montfort Media and Luntha TV: two important missionary voices
- 2014-02-06 - Valentine's Day: occasion to raise funds for the 18th Plenary Assembly of AMECEA