AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Bomb explosions will not stop dialogue between Christians and Muslims", says the Archbishop of Jos
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "The situation is still confusing and the information on the number of people affected is still incomplete", says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Ignatius Ayau Kaigama, Archbishop of Jos, a city in central Nigeria where yesterday, 20 May, the explosion of two car bombs in the main market killed at least 118 people.
"Before the explosions, ethnic and religious divisions were trying to be dealt with among the different components of our society. Let me give an example: Two weeks ago we launched a fundraising campaign to build the new cathedral, given that the current one is too small to accommodate the faithful who attend the celebrations. We also invited Muslim leaders to attend the ceremony and we appreciated their presence. This is a clear demonstration of the progress made in the dialogue between Christians and Muslims".
"We are all worried, but dialogue continues and we are in touch with Muslim leaders. In fact Muslim leaders in Kaduna informed me that there had been a series of explosions in Jos. We should not be intimidated and we must continue our dialogue of peace", says the Archbishop of Jos . (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/05/2014)
- 2015-11-18 - New attack in the northeast while the President denounces: "the army sabotaged by corruption"
- 2015-11-12 - Bishop of Maiduguri's appeal: "We need concrete help for displaced people affected by Boko Haram"
- 2015-10-22 - Fresh attacks by Boko Haram, US intensifies military assistance to threatened countries
- 2015-09-28 - Bishops: "Need to diversify the economy in order to avoid our young people to migrate to Europe"
- 2015-09-23 - Despite the attacks, the displaced return to Maiduguri; 3 priests ordained in a community ransacked by Boko Haram
- 2015-09-17 - 60% of children are victims of abuse and violence of all kinds
- 2015-09-10 - Another priest kidnapped; more and more religious victims of road ambushes
- 2015-09-02 - Bishops support President Buhari's campaign against corruption
- 2015-08-17 - Claretian Missionary priest killed in road ambush
- 2015-07-16 - "If Boko Haram succeed in cutting us off from the other part of Nigeria, Maiduguri is doomed"