AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Bomb explosions will not stop dialogue between Christians and Muslims", says the Archbishop of Jos
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "The situation is still confusing and the information on the number of people affected is still incomplete", says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Ignatius Ayau Kaigama, Archbishop of Jos, a city in central Nigeria where yesterday, 20 May, the explosion of two car bombs in the main market killed at least 118 people.
"Before the explosions, ethnic and religious divisions were trying to be dealt with among the different components of our society. Let me give an example: Two weeks ago we launched a fundraising campaign to build the new cathedral, given that the current one is too small to accommodate the faithful who attend the celebrations. We also invited Muslim leaders to attend the ceremony and we appreciated their presence. This is a clear demonstration of the progress made in the dialogue between Christians and Muslims".
"We are all worried, but dialogue continues and we are in touch with Muslim leaders. In fact Muslim leaders in Kaduna informed me that there had been a series of explosions in Jos. We should not be intimidated and we must continue our dialogue of peace", says the Archbishop of Jos . (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/05/2014)
- 2015-07-01 - "Precarious security and non-existent infrastructure in the areas liberated by Boko Haram" reports the Bishop of Yola
- 2015-06-24 - "Despite the latest attacks, we hope that Boko Haram will be soon defeated" says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-06-22 - Priest kidnapped on June 8 has been released, no ransom was paid
- 2015-06-13 - Still no contact with the kidnappers of the priest kidnapped
- 2015-06-11 - "We are waiting to be contacted by the kidnappers", says the Bishop of Ekiti after the kidnapping of a priest
- 2015-06-03 - Boko Haram hits Maiduguri again
- 2015-06-02 - A priest killed in an attempted robbery
- 2015-06-01 - "Let us pray for the new President" says the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-05-29 - The Bishops: "No to mass abortion for girls raped by Boko Haram; we are ready to help"
- 2015-05-08 - Kidnapped priest released