AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Dialogue resumes, but we need facts not promises
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Foreign Ministers of the Union of South American Nations (UNASUR) and the apostolic Nuncio in Caracas highlighted the willingness of the government of Venezuela and of the participants at the table of dialogue of the Democratic Unity (MUD), "to continue to work to find solutions that bring benefits to all Venezuelans". The Ministers María Ángela Holguín (Colombia), Luiz Alberto Figueiredo (Brazil), Ricardo Patiño (Ecuador), and Archbishop Aldo Giordano, have welcomed the rejection of "violence in all its forms" expressed by the Venezuelan government and MUD, in a statement released by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Brazil, and the willingness of the parties to continue the dialogue.
Yesterday, 20 May, the three ministers and the Apostolic Nuncio had meetings with the government and with representatives of the opposition to build "bridges of communication" that enable to resume talks that had been suspended (see Fides 14/05/2014). The note sent to Fides also recalls that representatives of UNASUR and the Vatican participate as "observers" in the dialogue. Also yesterday, the representative of the Democratic Alliance (opposition), Ramon Guillermo Aveledo, stressed that the country expects actions from the government and "not only words. Concrete actions, not just promises". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/05/2014)
AMERICA/VENEZUELA – DIALOGUE RESUMES, BUT WE NEED FACTS NOT PROMISES
- 2015-11-26 - Tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa: "State officials must ask for peace"
- 2015-11-23 - With the closure of borders many children are unlikely to make their First Communion
- 2015-11-11 - The Bishops call for elections: "Free vote, essential to strengthen democracy"
- 2015-09-22 - The National Assembly of the PMS: solidarity with our brothers in the East
- 2015-09-18 - The National Assembly of Pastoral Care: Renew enthusiasm in evangelization
- 2015-09-17 - Crisis with Colombia: "Governments have not done their best to solve the crisis", said Mgr. Padron
- 2015-09-07 - Poverty and precariousness force people to seek food in the garbage
- 2015-09-01 - The Bishops on the situation of conflict with Colombia: "Human rights are the same for all"
- 2015-08-12 - No social communications no democracy Bishop Lückert León speaks about the media
- 2015-08-11 - Drugs are lacking in the country, some use those for animals