AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Dialogue resumes, but we need facts not promises
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Foreign Ministers of the Union of South American Nations (UNASUR) and the apostolic Nuncio in Caracas highlighted the willingness of the government of Venezuela and of the participants at the table of dialogue of the Democratic Unity (MUD), "to continue to work to find solutions that bring benefits to all Venezuelans". The Ministers María Ángela Holguín (Colombia), Luiz Alberto Figueiredo (Brazil), Ricardo Patiño (Ecuador), and Archbishop Aldo Giordano, have welcomed the rejection of "violence in all its forms" expressed by the Venezuelan government and MUD, in a statement released by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Brazil, and the willingness of the parties to continue the dialogue.
Yesterday, 20 May, the three ministers and the Apostolic Nuncio had meetings with the government and with representatives of the opposition to build "bridges of communication" that enable to resume talks that had been suspended (see Fides 14/05/2014). The note sent to Fides also recalls that representatives of UNASUR and the Vatican participate as "observers" in the dialogue. Also yesterday, the representative of the Democratic Alliance (opposition), Ramon Guillermo Aveledo, stressed that the country expects actions from the government and "not only words. Concrete actions, not just promises". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/05/2014)
AMERICA/VENEZUELA – DIALOGUE RESUMES, BUT WE NEED FACTS NOT PROMISES
- 2014-12-06 - Poverty, few infrastructures and precarious preventive measures: fertile terrain for Chikungunya virus
- 2014-10-28 - Cardinal Urosa Savino: "Respect for political prisoners"
- 2014-10-21 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – May Saint John Paul II accompany Venezuela in the paths of peace and justice
- 2014-10-01 - "Division is not from God": in march for peace and unity of the country
- 2014-09-30 - Violence in the country does not decrease: a military chaplain killed
- 2014-09-27 - "Do not be afraid of peace" Pope Francis’ letter to Venezuela
- 2014-09-16 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Laity meet apostolic Nuncio, a tradition which encourages the unity of the Church
- 2014-08-12 - "Commit to a missionary cooperation", the V National Missionary Congress has concluded
- 2014-08-06 - The V National Missionary Congress begins
- 2014-07-14 - "Give teachers their salaries": church’s appeal in favor of teachers