AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Dialogue resumes, but we need facts not promises
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Foreign Ministers of the Union of South American Nations (UNASUR) and the apostolic Nuncio in Caracas highlighted the willingness of the government of Venezuela and of the participants at the table of dialogue of the Democratic Unity (MUD), "to continue to work to find solutions that bring benefits to all Venezuelans". The Ministers María Ángela Holguín (Colombia), Luiz Alberto Figueiredo (Brazil), Ricardo Patiño (Ecuador), and Archbishop Aldo Giordano, have welcomed the rejection of "violence in all its forms" expressed by the Venezuelan government and MUD, in a statement released by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Brazil, and the willingness of the parties to continue the dialogue.
Yesterday, 20 May, the three ministers and the Apostolic Nuncio had meetings with the government and with representatives of the opposition to build "bridges of communication" that enable to resume talks that had been suspended (see Fides 14/05/2014). The note sent to Fides also recalls that representatives of UNASUR and the Vatican participate as "observers" in the dialogue. Also yesterday, the representative of the Democratic Alliance (opposition), Ramon Guillermo Aveledo, stressed that the country expects actions from the government and "not only words. Concrete actions, not just promises". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/05/2014)
AMERICA/VENEZUELA – DIALOGUE RESUMES, BUT WE NEED FACTS NOT PROMISES
- 2015-07-21 - The body of a Franciscan who died a few days has been found
- 2015-07-20 - Games, songs, dances: a feast to celebrate children
- 2015-07-10 - Catholic Bishops: "The Christian experience must have social consequences"
- 2015-07-07 - Mgr. Padrón: "Corruption, repression, popular discontent characterize the present"
- 2015-07-06 - 35,000 people have been isolated due to floods, other 25,000 at risk
- 2015-06-22 - Hunger strike in 12 states for political prisoners, the Church has been asked to intervene
- 2015-06-19 - "They have our support": Mgr. Conde receives young people on hunger strike and writes to the Pope
- 2015-06-05 - Appeal to the authorities in favor of protesters on hunger strike
- 2015-06-03 - The Church calls on the authorities to respond to the students on hunger strike
- 2015-05-30 - Six young people on hunger strike in a church in Caracas