AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The Church on the eve of talks with the government: problems are not solved by ignoring them
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church is ready to open dialogue with the Government of Nicaragua: the first meeting is scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday, May 21 (see Fides 09/05/2014; 14/05/2014).
On Sunday afternoon, May 18, Cardinal Leopoldo Brenes, after celebrating Mass outside, near the parish church of Santiago Apostol in the city of Boaco (in the center of the country), said that the Bishops are ready, but it is not nice to anticipate the results of the dialogue.
The Bishop of Granada, Mgr. Jorge Solórzano said that dialogue has always produced good fruit. The Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Managua, His Exc. Mgr. Silvio José Báez Ortega, O.C.D., announced that everything that will be discussed between the Bishops' Conference with President Daniel Ortega will be published in full by the Bishops. Mgr. Baez Ortega, who is also the Secretary of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN), explained that the problems are not solved by ignoring them: "We cannot pretend nothing happened, ignore the situation, or look the other way, but we must confront each other". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/05/2014)
- 2014-10-01 - Initiatives and projects for 1400 child workers in Honduras and Nicaragua
- 2014-09-17 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The Bishops on Law 779: the reform is urgent, the Church is not the auxiliary of the police
- 2014-08-19 - "Assist families but without interfering in their private lives", said the Bishop of Matagalpa
- 2014-07-30 - The country awaits a word of encouragement from the Bishops
- 2014-07-22 - The Archdiocese of Managua condemns the criminal act against innocent civilians on Saturday
- 2014-06-04 - Bishops awaiting the President's reply to the questions posed
- 2014-05-22 - Dialogue between the Church and government begins: "In search of new horizons for a better Nicaragua"
- 2014-05-20 - The Church on the eve of talks with the government: problems are not solved by ignoring them
- 2014-05-14 - Bishops call for three days of prayer for the Church-Government meeting
- 2014-04-08 - Pastor killed: he was "a charismatic, sociable, cheerful priest, he inspired young people to follow Jesus Christ"