AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The Church on the eve of talks with the government: problems are not solved by ignoring them
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church is ready to open dialogue with the Government of Nicaragua: the first meeting is scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday, May 21 (see Fides 09/05/2014; 14/05/2014).
On Sunday afternoon, May 18, Cardinal Leopoldo Brenes, after celebrating Mass outside, near the parish church of Santiago Apostol in the city of Boaco (in the center of the country), said that the Bishops are ready, but it is not nice to anticipate the results of the dialogue.
The Bishop of Granada, Mgr. Jorge Solórzano said that dialogue has always produced good fruit. The Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Managua, His Exc. Mgr. Silvio José Báez Ortega, O.C.D., announced that everything that will be discussed between the Bishops' Conference with President Daniel Ortega will be published in full by the Bishops. Mgr. Baez Ortega, who is also the Secretary of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN), explained that the problems are not solved by ignoring them: "We cannot pretend nothing happened, ignore the situation, or look the other way, but we must confront each other". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/05/2014)
- 2015-11-18 - Bishops meeting: Bring the Gospel to those who use "the digital world"
- 2015-10-28 - The anti-interoceanic canal march suspended, but the population still opposes
- 2015-10-19 - Mining activity in Rancho Grande is "not feasible": listen to the people and the Church
- 2015-10-12 - The Church ready to mediate in the mine issue, "no one has to die for this"
- 2015-10-08 - Clashes between police and protesters, the Church is the only intermediary
- 2015-10-07 - The support of Cardinal Brenes: "Punish those who exploit the naivety of the poor"
- 2015-09-18 - Bishops of Bluefields: "We cannot share the violence among poor peasants and indigenous"
- 2015-09-14 - Families fleeing and still clashes in Waspam, request of a Truth Commission
- 2015-09-10 - Clashes over land concern the Bishops of Bluefields: "there will be no solution if there is violence"
- 2015-07-16 - Nearly two million Central American children are undernourished