AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The Church on the eve of talks with the government: problems are not solved by ignoring them
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church is ready to open dialogue with the Government of Nicaragua: the first meeting is scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday, May 21 (see Fides 09/05/2014; 14/05/2014).
On Sunday afternoon, May 18, Cardinal Leopoldo Brenes, after celebrating Mass outside, near the parish church of Santiago Apostol in the city of Boaco (in the center of the country), said that the Bishops are ready, but it is not nice to anticipate the results of the dialogue.
The Bishop of Granada, Mgr. Jorge Solórzano said that dialogue has always produced good fruit. The Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Managua, His Exc. Mgr. Silvio José Báez Ortega, O.C.D., announced that everything that will be discussed between the Bishops' Conference with President Daniel Ortega will be published in full by the Bishops. Mgr. Baez Ortega, who is also the Secretary of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN), explained that the problems are not solved by ignoring them: "We cannot pretend nothing happened, ignore the situation, or look the other way, but we must confront each other". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/05/2014)
- 2015-07-16 - Nearly two million Central American children are undernourished
- 2015-07-14 - Two children and a woman killed by mistake by the police; Mgr. Baez calls for justice
- 2015-06-30 - "We are losing the values and respect for life", warns Cardinal Brenes
- 2015-06-22 - Two years after the attack against the elderly, the case has not yet been solved
- 2015-06-15 - Still controversy over the transoceanic canal; Mgr. Baez "more transparency is needed"
- 2015-06-03 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Drought continues: the population without water and crops
- 2015-05-05 - "Informed citizenry is able to build a just society", says Msg. Baez
- 2015-03-27 - Group of Spanish Catholic volunteers give support to Nicaraguan children
- 2015-03-20 - Project which involves women to bring electricity to poor communities
- 2015-03-09 - Lent: journey of liberation to fight indifference and selfishness