AMERICA/MEXICO - Integrating Mayan disabled children by developing their artistic skills
Merida (Agenzia Fides) - Scorned and very often segregated into their homes, hundreds of Mayan disabled children and adolescents are a tool to overcome discrimination and increase their creativity in developing their artistic and cultural skills. Statistics show that over 10 % of the population of Yucatan (1.9 million people) suffer from some kind of disability. Thanks to a group of artists, doctors and teachers, about 120 disabled children are part of a project that motivates them to discover their creative sensibility and to use art as a tool of expression.
Music, visual arts, dance, drama and literature, can be a means through which a child or young person makes progress. The first part of the program is to identify people with disabilities in the various municipal districts; the second part of the program includes workshops and group work that allows these people and their families to develop activities to recognize the different forms of artistic expression and interact with the rest of the population. A third step is to try to ensure that these children are sensitized to the different artistic disciplines which in the future can be used as a means of communication and personal development opportunities. The workshops are totally free. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 20/05/2014)
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce
- 2015-02-16 - For 20 years a group of women has offered railway-line assistance to emigrants travelling towards the United States
- 2015-02-12 - The Archdiocese of Acapulco committed to protecting young people from criminal gangs
- 2015-02-10 - Migrants: a phenomenon which is difficult to quantify
- 2015-02-09 - The Bishop of Zacatecas: "People die every day"
- 2015-01-27 - Cardinal Rivera: "To change our society personal conversion is needed"
- 2015-01-27 - Child labor: 2 million and a half working children