AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate: priests must not make electoral propaganda
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - To all the Copt priests of Alexandria explicit provision was given not to directly support candidates for the coming elections, limiting the role of the Church to an awareness campaign on the importance of participating in the political life of the country and not to boycott the polls. This was reported to local sources, by Father Royce Morcos, a spokesman for the Coptic Orthodox Church in Alexandria. In concrete, the priests have been urged not to give voting instructions to the faithful and not to receive candidates in the individual Churches and parishes.
All have been suggested to express the participation of the ecclesial communities in such a critical moment experienced by the country especially through prayer for peace and prosperity of Egypt. In this way the general guidelines already expressed by the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II take concrete form, who had recently stressed that the Church must not take sides with any candidate in the Egyptian presidential elections next May 25 to 26. "I ask every citizen, Christian or Muslim", said Pope Tawadros in an interview published on Sunday, May 4th in the Catholic weekly Hamel Egyptian el-Resale "to read the electoral program of each candidate and choose who you want as President". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 16/05/2014)
- 2015-06-26 - Christians organize the "banquet of unity" for Muslims on the occasion of Ramadan
- 2015-06-25 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the so-called "Gospel of Barnabas" is a fake
- 2015-06-24 - The campaign to "clean up" the bookshops and libraries of mosques of extremist propaganda continues
- 2015-06-22 - Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros receives a delegation of Chinese People
- 2015-06-15 - The Egyptian Ambassador to the Holy See: Al Sisi has invited Pope Francis to Egypt
- 2015-05-28 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic boys released, falsely accused of an "insulting" video towards Islam
- 2015-05-26 - The Council of Christian Churches celebrate the second anniversary of its founding
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"
- 2015-05-21 - The police free four kidnapped Copts
- 2015-05-20 - Four Copts kidnapped on the way to the Marian shrine of Jabal al-Tair