AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate: priests must not make electoral propaganda
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - To all the Copt priests of Alexandria explicit provision was given not to directly support candidates for the coming elections, limiting the role of the Church to an awareness campaign on the importance of participating in the political life of the country and not to boycott the polls. This was reported to local sources, by Father Royce Morcos, a spokesman for the Coptic Orthodox Church in Alexandria. In concrete, the priests have been urged not to give voting instructions to the faithful and not to receive candidates in the individual Churches and parishes.
All have been suggested to express the participation of the ecclesial communities in such a critical moment experienced by the country especially through prayer for peace and prosperity of Egypt. In this way the general guidelines already expressed by the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II take concrete form, who had recently stressed that the Church must not take sides with any candidate in the Egyptian presidential elections next May 25 to 26. "I ask every citizen, Christian or Muslim", said Pope Tawadros in an interview published on Sunday, May 4th in the Catholic weekly Hamel Egyptian el-Resale "to read the electoral program of each candidate and choose who you want as President". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 16/05/2014)
- 2015-04-16 - The Coptic Patriarch will participate in the commemorations of the centenary of the Armenian Genocide, to be held in Yerevan
- 2015-04-01 - Laying of the foundation stone of the church dedicated to the "Martyrs of Libya"
- 2015-03-31 - The Coptic Orthodox Church invites President al-Sisi to Easter Mass
- 2015-03-28 - The Coptic Church supports the government in the fight against illiteracy
- 2015-03-26 - The Coptic Orthodox Church reaffirms ban on pilgrimages to Jerusalem
- 2015-03-25 - President Sisi endorses the new regulation for the election of the Coptic Pope
- 2015-03-23 - The conviction for the Salafist leader who tore up a copy of the Bible confirmed
- 2015-03-20 - Hospitals in Al Azhar open their doors to Christian doctors
- 2015-03-17 - The Egyptian government reviews Islamic religious education programs to combat extremism
- 2015-03-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Armed assault against the Franciscan church of Kafr el Dawar