AMERICA/HONDURAS - Violence against children who suffer abuse and harassment continues
Tegucigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) has called for the protection of children in Honduras, who are victims of violence and to give priority to the investigation of recent homicides which have occurred in the Central American country. After the recent murders of children in detention centers or in their communities, the Honduran authorities have to carry out rapid and impartial investigations and to apply appropriate sanctions "to prevent impunity and the recurrence of such crimes", said the IACHR. Among the many cases of violence, abuse and harassment against these little ones have emerged over the recent death and injury of some, due to the explosion of a bomb in a reform school in the city of San Pedro Sula, in the north of Honduras; others were stabbed in their homes, others tortured and murdered. All cases were attributed to criminal gangs, known as maras. These serious episodes take place in a context of generalized violence and insecurity that puts boys, girls and adolescents in a particularly vulnerable position. The IACHR, an autonomous body of the American States Organization", condemns the killing of children and adolescents in Honduras and believes that this serious problem must be considered as a priority by the State". In 2012 the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) reported that Honduras is where the highest murder rate, 90.4 per 100 thousand inhabitants is registered. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 15/05/2014)
- 2015-10-06 - Honduran Community says goodbye to candles and "dirty" electricity
- 2015-10-02 - Honduran Missionary receives an award for human rights
- 2015-09-23 - Mgr. Emiliani denounces the "violent reactions in the face of any situation"
- 2015-09-21 - "Honduras is sick of hate", warns Cardinal Rodriguez Maradiaga
- 2015-09-09 - Children resist famine thanks to school snacks
- 2015-07-17 - Sexual abuse on children have repercussions in adulthood
- 2015-07-15 - A new ward for children suffering from dengue and chikungunya
- 2015-07-15 - Campaign of the diocese of San Pedro Sula: "An honest man is not corrupt"
- 2015-07-06 - Still demonstrations against corruption, while other scandals come to light
- 2015-07-03 - The Bishops offer their support to dialogue for social peace