ASIA/PAKISTAN - Muslim leaders remember and appreciate John Paul II
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) - Important Muslim leaders of Pakistan have visited an exhibition in Lahore to commemorate John Paul II, appreciating his figure. After seeing the photos of St. John Paul II, Syed Abdul Khabeer Azad, imam of the Royal Mosque in Lahore, the largest in Pakistan, said: "Saint John Paul II worked for the welfare of the entire humanity without any discrimination. His name will live in world history as a man who was committed to peace-building and the promotion of interfaith dialogue".
In addition to a large gathering of faithful and Christian leaders, the exhibition, organized by the Council for Interreligious Dialogue, launched by the Capuchin friar Fr. Francis Nadeem, went to Hindu and Muslim leaders, civil society personalities, scholars, political authorities. The exhibition, titled "John Paul II and Pakistan" commemorated the historic visit of Pope John Paul II in Pakistan, on February 16, 1981, and contained over 100 photos and images.
Another Muslim leader intervened, Pir Shafaat Rasool, Chairman of the Council for Interreligious Dialogue, said. "People remember those who work for the welfare and progress of humanity and not for war and destruction. Pope John Paul II lives in our hearts because he continued to fight for the betterment of the peoples of the world. We congratulate the entire Christian community for the proclamation of His holiness". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2014)
- 2015-03-30 - 20 victims of the attacks on the churches in Youhanabad
- 2015-03-28 - Christian leaders: a Commission of inquiry regarding the massacre in Youhanabad
- 2015-03-26 - The Jinnah Institute: "Continuous and constant violence against religious minorities"
- 2015-03-26 - Guaranteed education to Shama and Shehzad’s children, Christian couple burned alive
- 2015-03-25 - Two Christians accused of the lynching of two suspected terrorists
- 2015-03-25 - Shots fired against agents in front of St. Peter’s church in Lahore
- 2015-03-24 - The General Vicar of Lahore: "Release the innocent among the Christians arrested"
- 2015-03-23 - The case of the young Christian tortured and killed by the police goes unpunished
- 2015-03-20 - The pastor of Youhanabad: "Critical situation, let us pray with the Via Crucis"
- 2015-03-17 - The Archbishop of Lahore at the funeral of the victims of Youhanabad: "Be men of peace"