ASIA/PAKISTAN - Muslim leaders remember and appreciate John Paul II
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) - Important Muslim leaders of Pakistan have visited an exhibition in Lahore to commemorate John Paul II, appreciating his figure. After seeing the photos of St. John Paul II, Syed Abdul Khabeer Azad, imam of the Royal Mosque in Lahore, the largest in Pakistan, said: "Saint John Paul II worked for the welfare of the entire humanity without any discrimination. His name will live in world history as a man who was committed to peace-building and the promotion of interfaith dialogue".
In addition to a large gathering of faithful and Christian leaders, the exhibition, organized by the Council for Interreligious Dialogue, launched by the Capuchin friar Fr. Francis Nadeem, went to Hindu and Muslim leaders, civil society personalities, scholars, political authorities. The exhibition, titled "John Paul II and Pakistan" commemorated the historic visit of Pope John Paul II in Pakistan, on February 16, 1981, and contained over 100 photos and images.
Another Muslim leader intervened, Pir Shafaat Rasool, Chairman of the Council for Interreligious Dialogue, said. "People remember those who work for the welfare and progress of humanity and not for war and destruction. Pope John Paul II lives in our hearts because he continued to fight for the betterment of the peoples of the world. We congratulate the entire Christian community for the proclamation of His holiness". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2014)
- 2014-11-27 - The first Catholic radio in Pakistan
- 2014-11-25 - Christian tortured and killed while in police custody
- 2014-11-24 - Christian couple burned alive: the Supreme Court intervenes
- 2014-11-20 - Violence against minorities: the governor of Punjab meets religious leaders
- 2014-11-19 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – From the Bishops a "Magna Charta" to the government: to curb religious intolerance
- 2014-11-18 - Christian and Muslim leaders: it is urgent to amend the blasphemy law
- 2014-11-17 - Christian arrested for blasphemy; investigation into the murder of Kasur continues
- 2014-11-14 - Blasphemy in Pakistan, data on victims: who will pay off all the suffering?
- 2014-11-13 - Christian and Muslim leaders: justice and prayer for the couple burned alive
- 2014-11-12 - The state has given the St. Francis school back to the Church