ASIA/PAKISTAN - Muslim leaders remember and appreciate John Paul II
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) - Important Muslim leaders of Pakistan have visited an exhibition in Lahore to commemorate John Paul II, appreciating his figure. After seeing the photos of St. John Paul II, Syed Abdul Khabeer Azad, imam of the Royal Mosque in Lahore, the largest in Pakistan, said: "Saint John Paul II worked for the welfare of the entire humanity without any discrimination. His name will live in world history as a man who was committed to peace-building and the promotion of interfaith dialogue".
In addition to a large gathering of faithful and Christian leaders, the exhibition, organized by the Council for Interreligious Dialogue, launched by the Capuchin friar Fr. Francis Nadeem, went to Hindu and Muslim leaders, civil society personalities, scholars, political authorities. The exhibition, titled "John Paul II and Pakistan" commemorated the historic visit of Pope John Paul II in Pakistan, on February 16, 1981, and contained over 100 photos and images.
Another Muslim leader intervened, Pir Shafaat Rasool, Chairman of the Council for Interreligious Dialogue, said. "People remember those who work for the welfare and progress of humanity and not for war and destruction. Pope John Paul II lives in our hearts because he continued to fight for the betterment of the peoples of the world. We congratulate the entire Christian community for the proclamation of His holiness". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2014)
- 2015-08-31 - Christian couple lynched for blasphemy: the police accused of negligence
- 2015-08-29 - Five arrests for the attacks against churches in Lahore
- 2015-08-27 - Bishops: we need to protect children from sexual abuse
- 2015-08-25 - Asia Bibi case: her father will be able to visit her in prison
- 2015-08-24 - Religions committed to finding unity and justice
- 2015-08-20 - A Protestant Pastor and other Christians accused of blasphemy
- 2015-08-03 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Floods and monsoon rains continue to strike the country causing major damage to people and structures
- 2015-07-25 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Young Christian woman abducted and forced into Islamic marriage
- 2015-07-25 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Every year a thousand Christian and Hindu girls suffer forced conversion to Islam and abuse
- 2015-07-23 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Minor Christian girl sold and abused