AFRICA/CAMEROON - The Bishops of Cameroon : "We pray for the speedy and unconditional release of the kidnapped missionaries"
Yaounde (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Cameroon condemn the kidnapping of the two Italian Fidei Donum priests, Don Gianantonio Allegri and Don Giampaolo Marta, and a Canadian religious, Sister Gilberte Bussier of the Congregation Sisters of Our Lady, Montreal, which took place on the night of Friday, April 4 (see Fides 05/04/2014).
"This is the second kidnapping of apostolic workers in Maroua-Mokolo Diocese and the third time in the Extreme North Region after that of the Alain Fournier Family", said a statement released to the press by the Episcopal Conference of Cameroon, sent to Fides Agency. In November 2013 Fr. Georges Vandenbeusch, a French Fidei Donum priest, released on New Year’s day had been kidnapped in the same area. Previously some French tourists belonging to the same family had been kidnapped and released after two months.
The Bishops "strongly condemn these inadmissible attacks from extremist groups on Church officials, and against all acts of violence which pose a threat to the dignity of the human person". "In communion with Maroua-Mokolo Diocese, we also invite all Christian communities to organise prayers for the speedy and unconditional release of these kidnapped missionaries. Under such circumstances, prayers remain our unique and effective arm", the Bishops conclude. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/05/2014)
- 2015-07-29 - AFRICA/CAMEROON – For women kamikaze detonators easier to hide
- 2015-07-02 - Floods destroy homes and buildings, there are two thousand displaced
- 2015-06-17 - Women and girls rebel against forced marriage
- 2015-05-20 - Food insecurity in the north of the Country
- 2015-02-23 - Cameroonian press questions French policy to fight Boko Haram
- 2014-10-22 - African Catholic Bishops: "Respect democratic turnover"
- 2014-10-13 - "Only the Church assists victims of Boko Haram in the north of Cameroon," says a missionary
- 2014-09-03 - Humanitarian emergency for more than 30.000 people fleeing Boko Haram
- 2014-07-16 - Insecurity caused by Boko Haram: The Church promotes a day of prayer
- 2014-06-27 - An alleged kidnapper of the Italian missionaries and Canadian nun has been arrested