AFRICA/EGYPT - Sectarian clashes in Assiut. Two Christians killed
Assiut (Agenzia Fides) - Two Egyptian Coptic Christians were killed on Tuesday, April 29th due to sectarian clashes which broke out in villages in the area of the city of Assiut, Upper Egypt, due to the contrasts between a Coptic Orthodox family and a Sunni family clan with regards to the ownership of land. This was confirmed to Fides Agency by Anba Kyrillos William, Coptic Catholic Bishop of Assiut. The funeral of the two Coptic Christians, celebrated in St. George Church in the city of Manfalut (25 km from Assiut ) saw the participation of the local Coptic community. "On the same day" refers Anba Kyrillos "the young Coptic entrepreneur, Mohsen Morris was kidnapped in Quseya, 50 km north of Assiut. The kidnappers took him aboard his new car, which he had just bought, and forced the family to pay a ransom of 250 thousand Egyptian pounds (25 thousand euro, ed)". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 30/04/2014)
- 2015-05-28 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic boys released, falsely accused of an "insulting" video towards Islam
- 2015-05-26 - The Council of Christian Churches celebrate the second anniversary of its founding
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"
- 2015-05-21 - The police free four kidnapped Copts
- 2015-05-20 - Four Copts kidnapped on the way to the Marian shrine of Jabal al-Tair
- 2015-05-19 - The Arab League welcomes the agreement between the Holy See and the State of Palestine
- 2015-05-18 - Morsi condemned to death. Coptic Catholic Bishop: "the Church never justifies death penalty for anyone"
- 2015-05-13 - President al-Sisi: so far little has been done to renew "religious speech"
- 2015-05-12 - Positive comments and controversy over the case of the Ethiopian Christians freed in Libya thanks to the Egyptian intervention
- 2015-05-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II: the possibility to celebrate Easter together on the third Sunday in April is being studied