AFRICA/EGYPT - Sectarian clashes in Assiut. Two Christians killed
Assiut (Agenzia Fides) - Two Egyptian Coptic Christians were killed on Tuesday, April 29th due to sectarian clashes which broke out in villages in the area of the city of Assiut, Upper Egypt, due to the contrasts between a Coptic Orthodox family and a Sunni family clan with regards to the ownership of land. This was confirmed to Fides Agency by Anba Kyrillos William, Coptic Catholic Bishop of Assiut. The funeral of the two Coptic Christians, celebrated in St. George Church in the city of Manfalut (25 km from Assiut ) saw the participation of the local Coptic community. "On the same day" refers Anba Kyrillos "the young Coptic entrepreneur, Mohsen Morris was kidnapped in Quseya, 50 km north of Assiut. The kidnappers took him aboard his new car, which he had just bought, and forced the family to pay a ransom of 250 thousand Egyptian pounds (25 thousand euro, ed)". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 30/04/2014)
- 2015-09-02 - New investigations into the case of Mariam, the Coptic student discriminated
- 2015-08-28 - The Coptic Church: the life of the Country depends on the "good health" of the Nile
- 2015-07-23 - President al-Sisi decrees that even church buildings and mosques shall soon pay for electricity
- 2015-07-22 - A law is being requested against conversions of Christian minors without parental consent
- 2015-07-21 - The Council of Christian Churches convenes a day of prayer on the anniversary of the 1952 "Revolution"
- 2015-07-15 - Patriarch Tawadros withdraws the complaint against the militants of the "38 Copts" association
- 2015-07-07 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II meets the priests' wives
- 2015-07-06 - The Coptic Church of Saints Anthony and Paul distributes food to the poor Muslims for Ramadan
- 2015-07-02 - The Coptic Church after the jihadist attacks in Sinai: we are on the side of the military fighting "evil forces"
- 2015-06-30 - Condolences of the Council of Christian Churches for the assassination of Attorney General