AMERICA/MEXICO - The theme of the 97th Episcopal Assembly: "Encourage evangelization of cultures"
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - "We are eager to hear representatives of society, who during this Plenary Assembly will be artists, journalists, businessmen and a politicians. Representatives of indigenous peoples, a migrant, a social leader and people who have been victims of violence will also be heard", said a note sent to Fides by the Mexican Episcopal Conference on the 97th Plenary Assembly of Bishops.
The Assembly, which began on April 28, will conclude on May 2 and has the theme: "Encouraging the evangelizing work of the Church in Mexico in different cultures and in the suburbs, in the light of the Apostolic Exhortation Evangelii Gaudium".
The Assembly began with Cardinal the message of José Francisco Robles Ortega, Archbishop of Guadalajara and President of CEM, and that of Mgr. Christophe Pierre, Apostolic Nuncio in Mexico. The program includes a visit of the President of the Republic, Enrique Peña Nieto on 2 May, who will discuss the main problems of the country.
The meeting will be attended by the rectors of various universities and lay people who have experience of evangelization carried out in the city, in some indigenous communities, with young people and through the media.
Mexico has a population of 120 million inhabitants, of whom 93 million are Catholics. There are 163 bishops and 4 cardinals, 16,416 priests (diocesan and religious), 858 permanent deacons and 300 000 catechists (data from CEM). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/04/2014)
- 2015-05-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Mgr. Moreno Barron’s appeal: Go and vote, do not sell your vote
- 2015-05-19 - Six million Mexican children do not go to school because of discrimination
- 2015-05-13 - Tarahumara children sleep in schools so they are not forced to walk five hours
- 2015-05-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – When will violence be stopped?
- 2015-05-11 - Mgr. Armendáriz to candidates: "We want proposals rather than promises"
- 2015-05-06 - The monumental image of the "Cristo de las Noas" will be donated to the diocese of Torreon
- 2015-04-30 - Toys, sweets, clothes, shoes: collection in favor of the more vulnerable indigenous children
- 2015-04-27 - Cardinal Robles: "There is corruption, mistrust, culture of violence, but we must propose a Church that goes forth"
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States