AMERICA/MEXICO - The theme of the 97th Episcopal Assembly: "Encourage evangelization of cultures"
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - "We are eager to hear representatives of society, who during this Plenary Assembly will be artists, journalists, businessmen and a politicians. Representatives of indigenous peoples, a migrant, a social leader and people who have been victims of violence will also be heard", said a note sent to Fides by the Mexican Episcopal Conference on the 97th Plenary Assembly of Bishops.
The Assembly, which began on April 28, will conclude on May 2 and has the theme: "Encouraging the evangelizing work of the Church in Mexico in different cultures and in the suburbs, in the light of the Apostolic Exhortation Evangelii Gaudium".
The Assembly began with Cardinal the message of José Francisco Robles Ortega, Archbishop of Guadalajara and President of CEM, and that of Mgr. Christophe Pierre, Apostolic Nuncio in Mexico. The program includes a visit of the President of the Republic, Enrique Peña Nieto on 2 May, who will discuss the main problems of the country.
The meeting will be attended by the rectors of various universities and lay people who have experience of evangelization carried out in the city, in some indigenous communities, with young people and through the media.
Mexico has a population of 120 million inhabitants, of whom 93 million are Catholics. There are 163 bishops and 4 cardinals, 16,416 priests (diocesan and religious), 858 permanent deacons and 300 000 catechists (data from CEM). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/04/2014)
- 2014-11-15 - A Comboni missionary found dead in a mass grave, among other bodies
- 2014-11-13 - Mexican Bishops: "We do not want more blood, people killed or who disappear ... Enough!"
- 2014-11-11 - Show all the corruption and lies of those who have turned away from God and from the truth
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' appeal: "No more corruption and violence! Thorough investigation is needed"
- 2014-11-10 - The poor and the marginalized become producers of their food
- 2014-11-06 - Ecumenical Initiative: 43 hours of fasting and prayer for the 43 students of Ayotzinapa
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops to the families of the students missing: "Hope pushes to keep fighting"
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"