AMERICA/MEXICO - The theme of the 97th Episcopal Assembly: "Encourage evangelization of cultures"
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - "We are eager to hear representatives of society, who during this Plenary Assembly will be artists, journalists, businessmen and a politicians. Representatives of indigenous peoples, a migrant, a social leader and people who have been victims of violence will also be heard", said a note sent to Fides by the Mexican Episcopal Conference on the 97th Plenary Assembly of Bishops.
The Assembly, which began on April 28, will conclude on May 2 and has the theme: "Encouraging the evangelizing work of the Church in Mexico in different cultures and in the suburbs, in the light of the Apostolic Exhortation Evangelii Gaudium".
The Assembly began with Cardinal the message of José Francisco Robles Ortega, Archbishop of Guadalajara and President of CEM, and that of Mgr. Christophe Pierre, Apostolic Nuncio in Mexico. The program includes a visit of the President of the Republic, Enrique Peña Nieto on 2 May, who will discuss the main problems of the country.
The meeting will be attended by the rectors of various universities and lay people who have experience of evangelization carried out in the city, in some indigenous communities, with young people and through the media.
Mexico has a population of 120 million inhabitants, of whom 93 million are Catholics. There are 163 bishops and 4 cardinals, 16,416 priests (diocesan and religious), 858 permanent deacons and 300 000 catechists (data from CEM). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/04/2014)
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce
- 2015-02-16 - For 20 years a group of women has offered railway-line assistance to emigrants travelling towards the United States
- 2015-02-12 - The Archdiocese of Acapulco committed to protecting young people from criminal gangs
- 2015-02-10 - Migrants: a phenomenon which is difficult to quantify
- 2015-02-09 - The Bishop of Zacatecas: "People die every day"
- 2015-01-27 - Cardinal Rivera: "To change our society personal conversion is needed"
- 2015-01-27 - Child labor: 2 million and a half working children