AMERICA/HAITI - International organizations committed to solving the new political crisis
Port au Prince (Agenzia Fides ) - Yesterday, April 28 a delegation of the "Club of Madrid" met Prime Minister of Haiti Laurent Lamothe, with whom they discussed the need to hold elections this year, surpassing the new political crisis which is likely to continue to paralyze the country and even to postpone the election. The note sent to Fides Agency reports that Lamothe has expressed the will of the Executive to hold elections in the second half of 2014 and, once again, invited the opposition to join efforts to strengthen democracy .
The Club of Madrid is the largest International Forum, which brings together nearly a hundred former Presidents and Prime Ministers, democratically elected in at least sixty countries. The delegation arrived on Sunday, April 27 in Port -au-Prince and is led by former Chilean President Ricardo Lagos (2000-2006) and will remain in the country until tomorrow, April 30. The delegation also supports the work of the Episcopal Conference of Haiti: thanks to its mediation with the government, on March 14 Parliament and twenty political parties had signed an agreement to overcome the paralysis and social policy (see Fides 17/03/2014).
Currently Haiti seems to be blocked again into a new crisis that threatens to postpone once again the by-elections announced for 26 October by Haitian President Michel Martelly. The Senate has formally proposed to the government the formation of a new Election Commission to organize the elections, and that would be reason for further delay in the electoral process. Last week the United States announced that they will not grant funds to Haiti until the country demonstrates its willingness to hold elections this year. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/04/2014)
- 2015-01-19 - New cabinet of Haiti to be sworn in today
- 2015-01-14 - AMERICA/HAITI – Parliament dissolved, demonstrations against President increase
- 2015-01-12 - Agreement between the President and opposition: elections in 2015
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/HAITI – 5 years after the earthquake the Catholic Church is helping Haiti to recover
- 2014-12-09 - Foyer Bethlehem: “giving persons with disabilities what nature and human indifference have denied them”
- 2014-12-01 - A Commission to save the country from the crisis
- 2014-11-27 - The Church ready to intervene to ensure the country's political future
- 2014-10-16 - Haiti will ask for an extension to the Dominican Republic to regulate the "sans papiers"
- 2014-09-23 - Social movements denounce the failure of the UN Mission, protests in the streets
- 2014-08-21 - Elections postponed and there is growing uncertainty about the future of the Country