AMERICA/HAITI - International organizations committed to solving the new political crisis
Port au Prince (Agenzia Fides ) - Yesterday, April 28 a delegation of the "Club of Madrid" met Prime Minister of Haiti Laurent Lamothe, with whom they discussed the need to hold elections this year, surpassing the new political crisis which is likely to continue to paralyze the country and even to postpone the election. The note sent to Fides Agency reports that Lamothe has expressed the will of the Executive to hold elections in the second half of 2014 and, once again, invited the opposition to join efforts to strengthen democracy .
The Club of Madrid is the largest International Forum, which brings together nearly a hundred former Presidents and Prime Ministers, democratically elected in at least sixty countries. The delegation arrived on Sunday, April 27 in Port -au-Prince and is led by former Chilean President Ricardo Lagos (2000-2006) and will remain in the country until tomorrow, April 30. The delegation also supports the work of the Episcopal Conference of Haiti: thanks to its mediation with the government, on March 14 Parliament and twenty political parties had signed an agreement to overcome the paralysis and social policy (see Fides 17/03/2014).
Currently Haiti seems to be blocked again into a new crisis that threatens to postpone once again the by-elections announced for 26 October by Haitian President Michel Martelly. The Senate has formally proposed to the government the formation of a new Election Commission to organize the elections, and that would be reason for further delay in the electoral process. Last week the United States announced that they will not grant funds to Haiti until the country demonstrates its willingness to hold elections this year. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/04/2014)
- 2014-08-21 - Elections postponed and there is growing uncertainty about the future of the Country
- 2014-07-08 - The chikungunya virus attacks the poor, even the Church is committed to keeping the disease under control
- 2014-06-04 - Project "House built, hope fulfilled – Vita Ville" for many families, victims of the earthquake
- 2014-05-28 - Economic support for Haitian mothers who live in extreme poverty
- 2014-05-16 - Three years of Martelly’s presidency, among acclaim and requests for resignation
- 2014-05-16 - A center to transform cassava into flour and cope with food insecurity
- 2014-05-08 - Brotherhood and solidarity respond to those who promote hatred between Haitians and Dominicans
- 2014-04-29 - International organizations committed to solving the new political crisis
- 2014-03-17 - Elections on October 26, the President thanks the Church for the mediation
- 2014-03-14 - Dialogue to conclude the agreement in the country has started again