VATICAN CITY - Annual General Meeting of the Pontifical Mission Societies begins May 5
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - The greetings and the Report of His Eminence Cardinal Fernando Filoni, Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples and Archbishop Protase Rugambwa, Secretary-Adjunct of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples and President of the PMS, will begin on May 5. In the Retreat House of the Salesians in Rome which houses the works, the National Directors of the Pontifical Mission Societies from all continents, with the President and the General Secretaries of the four PMS will meet. The first part of the Assembly, will be the pastoral Session (May 5-6) and the Ordinary Session (May 7-10).
The pastoral Session will see the presentation of the Reports of the General Secretaries of the four Pontifical Mission Societies in the light of "new paradigms" of the Missio Ad Gentes, the Magisterium and the procedures of the local Churches. At this point in the meeting His Exc. Mgr. Rugambwa, Fr. Vito del Prete, Fr. Fernando Domingues, Mgr. Silvano Rossi will speak.
On Wednesday, May 7th the Ordinary Session of the Assembly will begin, during which the general Secretaries of the four Pontifical Mission Societies: the Secretary-General of the Pontifical Society for the Propagation of the Faith, Fr. Ryszard Szmydki, OMI; Father Fernando Domingues, MCCJ, Secretary-General of the Pontifical Society of St. Peter the Apostle; J. Baptistine Ralamboarison, Secretary-General of the Pontifical Society of Missionary Childhood; Fr. Vito Del Prete, PIME, Secretary-General of the Pontifical Missionary Union as well as Director of CIAM will present the Report of the past year, the forecast budget and the subsidy requests to the various projects that were received. Speeches on behalf of those present, discussions and approval of projects will be held. The last report will be Mgr. Silvano Rossi’s, in charge of the Administration.
On May 9 there will be meetings concerning each continent, the examination of the decisions taken, the approval of budgets and projects. The final speech will be on behalf of the President of the PMS, Mgr. Rugambwa who will close the Assembly. On Saturday, May 10 the audience with Holy Father Francis will be held. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 29/04/2014)
- 2015-06-30 - VATICAN – Ceremonial gift of the pallium to 46 Metropolitan Archbishops, 13 belong to the territories of Propaganda Fide
- 2015-06-17 - VATICAN – The Pope: "the international community should act in a fitting and effective way to prevent the causes of forced migration"
- 2015-06-05 - Pope Francis to the PMS: "missionary activity is still the greatest challenge for the Church"
- 2015-05-28 - General Assembly of the Pontifical Mission Societies: "How to support the universal mission today and tomorrow"
- 2015-05-25 - The Pope's Message for World Mission Day 2015
- 2015-05-21 - The Pope recalls the Day of Prayer for the Church in China on May 24
- 2015-05-18 - Archbishop Romero will be the patron of Caritas Internationalis
- 2015-05-04 - Cardinal Filoni ordains 14 deacons from Africa and Asia: "you must have a missionary heart"
- 2015-04-29 - For a "Christian commitment" in the fight against human trafficking
- 2015-04-13 - Jubilee of Mercy: "This is a time for the Church to rediscover the meaning of the mission entrusted to her by the Lord"