VATICAN CITY - Annual General Meeting of the Pontifical Mission Societies begins May 5
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - The greetings and the Report of His Eminence Cardinal Fernando Filoni, Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples and Archbishop Protase Rugambwa, Secretary-Adjunct of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples and President of the PMS, will begin on May 5. In the Retreat House of the Salesians in Rome which houses the works, the National Directors of the Pontifical Mission Societies from all continents, with the President and the General Secretaries of the four PMS will meet. The first part of the Assembly, will be the pastoral Session (May 5-6) and the Ordinary Session (May 7-10).
The pastoral Session will see the presentation of the Reports of the General Secretaries of the four Pontifical Mission Societies in the light of "new paradigms" of the Missio Ad Gentes, the Magisterium and the procedures of the local Churches. At this point in the meeting His Exc. Mgr. Rugambwa, Fr. Vito del Prete, Fr. Fernando Domingues, Mgr. Silvano Rossi will speak.
On Wednesday, May 7th the Ordinary Session of the Assembly will begin, during which the general Secretaries of the four Pontifical Mission Societies: the Secretary-General of the Pontifical Society for the Propagation of the Faith, Fr. Ryszard Szmydki, OMI; Father Fernando Domingues, MCCJ, Secretary-General of the Pontifical Society of St. Peter the Apostle; J. Baptistine Ralamboarison, Secretary-General of the Pontifical Society of Missionary Childhood; Fr. Vito Del Prete, PIME, Secretary-General of the Pontifical Missionary Union as well as Director of CIAM will present the Report of the past year, the forecast budget and the subsidy requests to the various projects that were received. Speeches on behalf of those present, discussions and approval of projects will be held. The last report will be Mgr. Silvano Rossi’s, in charge of the Administration.
On May 9 there will be meetings concerning each continent, the examination of the decisions taken, the approval of budgets and projects. The final speech will be on behalf of the President of the PMS, Mgr. Rugambwa who will close the Assembly. On Saturday, May 10 the audience with Holy Father Francis will be held. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 29/04/2014)
- 2014-12-03 - VATICAN – Religious leaders resolve “to work for the freedom of all those who are enslaved and trafficked”
- 2014-11-26 - The First International Day of Prayer and Awareness against Human Trafficking
- 2014-11-24 - Pope Francis: may the Lord grant a new missionary drive to the Church in India
- 2014-10-30 - Pope's appeal: take all necessary measures to eradicate the Ebola virus
- 2014-10-25 - WORLD MISSION DAY - CATHOLIC CHURCH STATISTICS 2014
- 2014-10-20 - Pope Paul VI, "a staunch supporter of the mission ad gentes"
- 2014-10-18 - VATICAN – Blessed Pope Paul VI: "The love for Missions is love for the Church, love for Christ!"
- 2014-10-13 - The memory of the missionaries, their examples, attract and inspire us to imitate their faith
- 2014-10-07 - First ever global campaign by the 160 Caritas national organisations: ending world hunger is their priority
- 2014-10-01 - The feast of St. Therese of Lisieux, Patroness of the Missions, opens the Mission Month