ASIA/TURKEY - The Turks also celebrate St. John XXIII
Istanbul (Agenzia Fides ) - "Angelo Roncalli loved this country. He was apostolic Delegate in Turkey from 1935 to 1944 and his sentence 'I love the Turks' has been carved in the historical memory of the Turkish people". This is what the Dominican Father, Giuseppe Gandolfo, OP says to Fides Agency, highlighting the reasons that motivate the rich series of initiatives and events to be held in Istanbul on the occasion of the canonization of John XXIII.
On Sunday, April 27, in conjunction with St. Peter's Basilica, the solemn liturgy of canonization of Pope Roncalli - who will rise to the glory of the altars with Pope John Paul II - will be broadcast with simultaneous translation in Turkish in the crypt of St. Anthony church, not far from Taksim Square.
The canonization Mass celebrated by Pope Francis will be broadcast live across the Country. The day of the canonization will conclude with a concert by the choir of the State University of the Bosphorus (Boasici Universitesi) housed in the Latin Catholic Cathedral of the Holy Spirit. The new initiatives inspired by the figure of the holy Pope will continue throughout 2014.
On 4 May, a lecture by Professor Rinaldo Marmara - author of historical research on the Apostolic Vicariate of Istanbul - will inaugurate a photo exhibition on Angelo Roncalli set up in the areas annexed to St. Anthony church. While on June 6th the Roncallian symposium "Between Memory and Prophecy" will be attended by academics and Turkish politicians and the director of the John XXIII Foundation, Don Ezio Bolis. The concluding ceremony of the Turkish celebrations for St. John XXIII is scheduled for November 16 at the Holy Spirit Cathedral, with an invitation extended to the Patriarchs and heads of other Christian communities in Turkey, starting from the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, Bartholomew I. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 25/04/2014)
- 2015-03-24 - No ringing of bells for the Armenian churches in the Turkish territory for the hundred years since the Genocide
- 2015-01-30 - Turkish Court orders the return of land to a Christian Foundation
- 2015-01-27 - ASIA/TURKEY – Other three people accused of the massacre of Christians in Malatya have been released from prison
- 2015-01-19 - For Armenians: Erdogan's invitation to President Sarkysian for the centenary of the battle of Gallipoli is a provocation
- 2014-12-12 - Turkish historians working to refute reconstructions of the Armenian Genocide of 1915
- 2014-11-04 - Christian schools subsidized by the State increase
- 2014-10-27 - Armenians discuss the election of a new patriarch
- 2014-10-20 - Armenian community prays for ailing Patriarch
- 2014-10-03 - A prayer for the Pope's visit
- 2014-10-02 - Documents of the Turkish Institute of History on the Armenian question online