ASIA/TURKEY - The Turks also celebrate St. John XXIII
Istanbul (Agenzia Fides ) - "Angelo Roncalli loved this country. He was apostolic Delegate in Turkey from 1935 to 1944 and his sentence 'I love the Turks' has been carved in the historical memory of the Turkish people". This is what the Dominican Father, Giuseppe Gandolfo, OP says to Fides Agency, highlighting the reasons that motivate the rich series of initiatives and events to be held in Istanbul on the occasion of the canonization of John XXIII.
On Sunday, April 27, in conjunction with St. Peter's Basilica, the solemn liturgy of canonization of Pope Roncalli - who will rise to the glory of the altars with Pope John Paul II - will be broadcast with simultaneous translation in Turkish in the crypt of St. Anthony church, not far from Taksim Square.
The canonization Mass celebrated by Pope Francis will be broadcast live across the Country. The day of the canonization will conclude with a concert by the choir of the State University of the Bosphorus (Boasici Universitesi) housed in the Latin Catholic Cathedral of the Holy Spirit. The new initiatives inspired by the figure of the holy Pope will continue throughout 2014.
On 4 May, a lecture by Professor Rinaldo Marmara - author of historical research on the Apostolic Vicariate of Istanbul - will inaugurate a photo exhibition on Angelo Roncalli set up in the areas annexed to St. Anthony church. While on June 6th the Roncallian symposium "Between Memory and Prophecy" will be attended by academics and Turkish politicians and the director of the John XXIII Foundation, Don Ezio Bolis. The concluding ceremony of the Turkish celebrations for St. John XXIII is scheduled for November 16 at the Holy Spirit Cathedral, with an invitation extended to the Patriarchs and heads of other Christian communities in Turkey, starting from the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, Bartholomew I. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 25/04/2014)
- 2015-11-18 - "Religious culture" exam for Armenian students
- 2015-11-10 - The institutional impasse for religious minority Foundations
- 2015-11-09 - The dispute regarding the lands of "Kamp Armen" continues
- 2015-11-03 - Properties returned to the churches after legal diputes
- 2015-10-05 - Minority schools are likely to close due to lack of pupils
- 2015-09-09 - An art exhibition and a film about the Armenian Genocide
- 2015-05-08 - Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew convenes the second Summit of Halki on environment
- 2015-05-07 - The demolition of Kamp Armen has started, former Armenian orphanage in Istanbul
- 2015-04-28 - Armenian Catholicos Aram I appeals to the Turkish Constitutional Court for the return of properties to the Catholicosate
- 2015-04-20 - Advisor of the Turkish prime minister who had spoken of the Armenian Genocide has resigned