VATICAN - Fr. Szmydki, OMI, Secretary-General of the Pontifical Society for the Propagation of the Faith
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) – On April 3, 2014 Cardinal Fernando Filoni, Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples appointed Fr. Ryszard Szmydki, of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate (OMI) as Secretary-General of the Pontifical Society for the Propagation of the Faith.
Fr. Szmydki was born on 26 April 1951 in Tarebiski, Poland. In 1970 he entered the Congregation of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate. During the period of his formation he spent two years in Cameroon. He was ordained a priest on 2 July 1978.
Subsequently he obtained a Licentiate in Dogmatic Theology at the Pontifical Urbaniana University and a Doctorate at the Catholic University of Lublin, where he taught for many years. In the OMI general chapters in 1992 and 1998, he was elected Assistant General in charge of the missions. In 2005 he returned to Poland and was appointed Vicar Provincial for the missions. In 2010 he was elected Superior of the Oblate Province of Poland, re-elected on September 13, 2012. He is the author of numerous studies in the field of dogmatic Theology and ecumenism. He speaks Polish, Italian, French and English.
The Society for the Propagation of the Faith, one of the four Pontifical Mission Societies, was founded in 1822 in Lyon (France) by venerable Pauline Jaricot. It has the task of promoting missionary cooperation in all Christian communities, it takes care of missionary vocations, and above all promotes several initiatives for the collection of material aid. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 25/04/2014)
- 2015-06-30 - VATICAN – Ceremonial gift of the pallium to 46 Metropolitan Archbishops, 13 belong to the territories of Propaganda Fide
- 2015-06-17 - VATICAN – The Pope: "the international community should act in a fitting and effective way to prevent the causes of forced migration"
- 2015-06-05 - Pope Francis to the PMS: "missionary activity is still the greatest challenge for the Church"
- 2015-05-28 - General Assembly of the Pontifical Mission Societies: "How to support the universal mission today and tomorrow"
- 2015-05-25 - The Pope's Message for World Mission Day 2015
- 2015-05-21 - The Pope recalls the Day of Prayer for the Church in China on May 24
- 2015-05-18 - Archbishop Romero will be the patron of Caritas Internationalis
- 2015-05-04 - Cardinal Filoni ordains 14 deacons from Africa and Asia: "you must have a missionary heart"
- 2015-04-29 - For a "Christian commitment" in the fight against human trafficking
- 2015-04-13 - Jubilee of Mercy: "This is a time for the Church to rediscover the meaning of the mission entrusted to her by the Lord"