ASIA/SYRIA - The government army regains control of the city of Maalula
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - The Syrian army loyal to President Assad have retaken control of the town of Maalula, 50 kilometers from Damascus. The news comes from Syrian security sources, according to which the army is gaining ground across the disputed region of Qalamun. The town of Maalula, where the monastery of Santa Tecla and the sanctuary dedicated to Saints Sergius and Bacchus are situtated, had been in the hands of rebel militias for about four months. Among the formations that had attacked the city there was also the jihadis militia of Jabhat al-Nusra Front. On 3 December last year 13 Greek-Orthodox nuns of the monastery of Santa Tecla had been kidnapped along with other three people. The seizure ended on Sunday, March 9, when they were all freed in Lebanon. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 14/04/2014).
- 2014-12-05 - Melkite Patriarch Grégoire III: al Azhar Conference “fundamental event”. Islamist ideology harms both Christians and Muslims
- 2014-12-01 - Civil war is causing the loss of a generation of children
- 2014-11-15 - 25 Christian families still in Raqqa. Obligation to pay a "protection tax"
- 2014-11-14 - Archbishop Hindo: if the US attack the Syrian army, we will have a second Libya
- 2014-11-12 - Negotiations for a truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: it is only useful if it brings us closer to true peace
- 2014-10-30 - The Catholic Syrian Bishops: if the world wants to help us, stop sending us weapons!
- 2014-10-13 - The five Christians of the Orontes Valley, who were still being held by jihadists, have been released
- 2014-10-10 - Five Christians of the Orontes Valley still held by Islamic jihadists
- 2014-10-09 - Father Jallouf Hanna has been released
- 2014-10-09 - ASIA/SYRIA – The four women abducted along with Father Hanna have been released; no message from the kidnappers