AMERICA/MEXICO - Six out of 10 children live in poverty, laws are being studied to respect the rights of children
Morelia (Agenzia Fides) - In Mexico, six out of 10 children live in poverty, 3 million do not attend school, 96 000 live on the street and 3 million work. There are also about 16 000 unaccompanied migrant children. To cope with this phenomenon, according to information gathered by Fides Agency, the Commission for the Protection of the Rights of the Child is engaged in reviewing the General Law for the Guarantee of the rights of Girls, Boys and Adolescents. It is an initiative that local authorities have discussed with several civil society organizations and institutions related to the protection of children. All agree on the need for stronger laws, which can allow children to live in better conditions. In the Latin American country there are different realities and issues to consider, such as children who are refugees, teenage pregnancy, violence, maternal and child deaths, and the lack of water in 31% of schools. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 09/04/2014)
- 2015-05-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Mgr. Moreno Barron’s appeal: Go and vote, do not sell your vote
- 2015-05-19 - Six million Mexican children do not go to school because of discrimination
- 2015-05-13 - Tarahumara children sleep in schools so they are not forced to walk five hours
- 2015-05-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – When will violence be stopped?
- 2015-05-11 - Mgr. Armendáriz to candidates: "We want proposals rather than promises"
- 2015-05-06 - The monumental image of the "Cristo de las Noas" will be donated to the diocese of Torreon
- 2015-04-30 - Toys, sweets, clothes, shoes: collection in favor of the more vulnerable indigenous children
- 2015-04-27 - Cardinal Robles: "There is corruption, mistrust, culture of violence, but we must propose a Church that goes forth"
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States