AMERICA/MEXICO - Six out of 10 children live in poverty, laws are being studied to respect the rights of children
Morelia (Agenzia Fides) - In Mexico, six out of 10 children live in poverty, 3 million do not attend school, 96 000 live on the street and 3 million work. There are also about 16 000 unaccompanied migrant children. To cope with this phenomenon, according to information gathered by Fides Agency, the Commission for the Protection of the Rights of the Child is engaged in reviewing the General Law for the Guarantee of the rights of Girls, Boys and Adolescents. It is an initiative that local authorities have discussed with several civil society organizations and institutions related to the protection of children. All agree on the need for stronger laws, which can allow children to live in better conditions. In the Latin American country there are different realities and issues to consider, such as children who are refugees, teenage pregnancy, violence, maternal and child deaths, and the lack of water in 31% of schools. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 09/04/2014)
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"
- 2014-10-21 - When you do not respect the right of even one person, it jeopardizes the right of all
- 2014-10-21 - 2000 children have been killed or maimed between 2006 and 2014
- 2014-10-15 - "Never accept violence as a solution", warns Mgr. Lona Reyes who proposes a prayer campaign
- 2014-10-14 - Bishops on the Iguala case: "clarify what happened, the truth is the path to justice"
- 2014-10-10 - The tragedy of Iguala and its consequences: a letter from the Archbishop of Acapulco
- 2014-10-09 - Corrupt policemen and climate of mistrust, the Bishop of La Paz denounces the silence of the authorities
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction
- 2014-09-24 - Priest found dead in the river Balsas
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"