ASIA/PAKISTAN - Appeal for Christians sentenced to death for "blasphemy via sms" has been filed at the High Court
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) - The lawyers of Shafqat Emmanuel and Shagufta Kasuar, the Christian married couple sentenced to death for "blasphemy via sms" with a verdict issued on April 4 by a court of first instance (see Fides 7/4/2014) have filed an appeal to the Lahore High Court. This was communicated to Fides by the NGO "World Vision in Progress" (WVIP) which, together with international partners, is following the case and providing legal assistance and taking care of the couples 4 children, in prison since July 2013. The two, say the lawyers to Fides, are illiterate and completely unaware of how this absurd accusation has shaken their lives.
The NGO informs that the two Christian lawyers Nadeem Hassain and Eric John, the couple’s defenders, have been repeatedly threatened in order to discourage them from following the case. "Even the judge who issued the first instance judgment was victim of harassment and intimidation on behalf of Islamic extremists", explained Farrukh H. Saif, Executive Director of WVIP to Fides. The verdict of conviction was therefore strongly influenced and capital punishment imposed without any evidence. "We ask the international community to speak out against this injustice", notes Farrukh H. Saif. "We will do everything possible, trusting in God’s providence", he concludes. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 09/04/2014)
- 2014-10-24 - Asia Bibi’s sentence damages tolerance in Pakistan
- 2014-10-22 - Interreligious marriage canceled after threats to a young married couple
- 2014-10-21 - Too many interests behind Asia Bibi’s case: the truth of the facts are covered up
- 2014-10-17 - The Church: "Asia Bibi sentenced, but hope is alive"
- 2014-10-16 - Asia Bibi’s death sentence confirmed by the Court of Appeal
- 2014-10-15 - Islamic extremists object to an interfaith marriage with violence
- 2014-10-13 - A court hearing for Asia Bibi
- 2014-10-13 - A regional system for the protection of human rights in South Asia is necessary
- 2014-10-10 - Nobel Peace Prize to Malala "recalls women's rights and the right to education"
- 2014-10-07 - The Islamic State makes its way in Pakistan: Christians respond with prayer