ASIA/PAKISTAN - Appeal for Christians sentenced to death for "blasphemy via sms" has been filed at the High Court
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) - The lawyers of Shafqat Emmanuel and Shagufta Kasuar, the Christian married couple sentenced to death for "blasphemy via sms" with a verdict issued on April 4 by a court of first instance (see Fides 7/4/2014) have filed an appeal to the Lahore High Court. This was communicated to Fides by the NGO "World Vision in Progress" (WVIP) which, together with international partners, is following the case and providing legal assistance and taking care of the couples 4 children, in prison since July 2013. The two, say the lawyers to Fides, are illiterate and completely unaware of how this absurd accusation has shaken their lives.
The NGO informs that the two Christian lawyers Nadeem Hassain and Eric John, the couple’s defenders, have been repeatedly threatened in order to discourage them from following the case. "Even the judge who issued the first instance judgment was victim of harassment and intimidation on behalf of Islamic extremists", explained Farrukh H. Saif, Executive Director of WVIP to Fides. The verdict of conviction was therefore strongly influenced and capital punishment imposed without any evidence. "We ask the international community to speak out against this injustice", notes Farrukh H. Saif. "We will do everything possible, trusting in God’s providence", he concludes. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 09/04/2014)
- 2015-03-28 - Christian leaders: a Commission of inquiry regarding the massacre in Youhanabad
- 2015-03-26 - The Jinnah Institute: "Continuous and constant violence against religious minorities"
- 2015-03-26 - Guaranteed education to Shama and Shehzad’s children, Christian couple burned alive
- 2015-03-25 - Two Christians accused of the lynching of two suspected terrorists
- 2015-03-25 - Shots fired against agents in front of St. Peter’s church in Lahore
- 2015-03-24 - The General Vicar of Lahore: "Release the innocent among the Christians arrested"
- 2015-03-23 - The case of the young Christian tortured and killed by the police goes unpunished
- 2015-03-20 - The pastor of Youhanabad: "Critical situation, let us pray with the Via Crucis"
- 2015-03-17 - The Archbishop of Lahore at the funeral of the victims of Youhanabad: "Be men of peace"
- 2015-03-16 - The "Justice and Peace" Commission on the massacre of Christians: "Police negligent "