AMERICA/ARGENTINA - The Church invites us to be in solidarity with the victims of the rains, Neuquen is the most affected area
Neuquen (Agenzia Fides) - "Due to the climate emergency that the city of Neuquén is living following the heavy rains in recent days, many families in our neighborhoods have been displaced and many others have suffered severe damage to their homes", said the Bishop of Neuquén (about 1000 km south of Buenos Aires), His Exc. Mgr. Virginio Domingo Bressanelli, S.C.I., in a statement sent to Fides Agency.
The Bishop expresses his solidarity with the families affected by the storms that have hit the province and invites parishes to coordinate efforts for aid.
Although the weather situation is improving, some local media have carried out an initial assessment: in the province of Neuquén alone there are more than 1,500 people that have been evacuated, more than 3,000 across the country. Neuquen is however the most affected area.
In the province of Buenos Aires the River Lujan has overflowed, forcing 80 families to abandon their homes. In Catamatca 400 people have left their houses, many of whom have been welcomed in the church of Catamarca. In Rio Negro there are 500 people on the street, due to the huge amount of water that has penetrated into their homes. In Chubut, a person has died and 70 families have been left homeless. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/04/2014)
- 2015-05-28 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Child nutrition, drugs and poverty: meeting of Bishops and authorities of Buenos Aires
- 2015-05-26 - The Church's message for the National holiday: no to hatred, play politics with moral integrity
- 2015-05-20 - Half a million families with serious addictions to alcohol and drugs
- 2015-05-18 - First Report on the scourge of drugs prepared by UCA
- 2015-05-08 - Missionary dimension and social problems: meeting of the clergy of Patagonia
- 2015-05-02 - First parish dedicated to Juan Diego
- 2015-04-08 - "Can one sing the Alleluia in the world we live in?"
- 2015-03-11 - 400 years of evangelization in Posadas: "we share the joy of evangelizing"
- 2015-03-04 - "God did not create borders": for 65 years a Mass for brotherhood between Chile and Argentina
- 2015-02-17 - During Lent let us assess our spirit of mission: message from Archbishop Arancedo