AMERICA/ARGENTINA - The Church invites us to be in solidarity with the victims of the rains, Neuquen is the most affected area
Neuquen (Agenzia Fides) - "Due to the climate emergency that the city of Neuquén is living following the heavy rains in recent days, many families in our neighborhoods have been displaced and many others have suffered severe damage to their homes", said the Bishop of Neuquén (about 1000 km south of Buenos Aires), His Exc. Mgr. Virginio Domingo Bressanelli, S.C.I., in a statement sent to Fides Agency.
The Bishop expresses his solidarity with the families affected by the storms that have hit the province and invites parishes to coordinate efforts for aid.
Although the weather situation is improving, some local media have carried out an initial assessment: in the province of Neuquén alone there are more than 1,500 people that have been evacuated, more than 3,000 across the country. Neuquen is however the most affected area.
In the province of Buenos Aires the River Lujan has overflowed, forcing 80 families to abandon their homes. In Catamatca 400 people have left their houses, many of whom have been welcomed in the church of Catamarca. In Rio Negro there are 500 people on the street, due to the huge amount of water that has penetrated into their homes. In Chubut, a person has died and 70 families have been left homeless. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/04/2014)
- 2014-11-28 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Debate on the mining law, the Bishops ask respect for the environment
- 2014-11-05 - The fight against drugs should be considered a State matter
- 2014-11-04 - Two thousand secondary school teachers gathered for the XII Education Forum
- 2014-10-30 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Drugs: "it is urgent to move from concern to action"
- 2014-10-28 - The Bishops' spot: where are the children who disappeared during the State terrorism?
- 2014-10-11 - During the debate on drugs, the government also looks at the position of Bishops
- 2014-10-09 - Strong commitment of the Diocese of Quilmes against human trafficking and related crimes
- 2014-10-08 - Free vaccination campaign for children
- 2014-09-06 - The life of every migrant demands we build a new world; migrants’ pilgrimage to Luján
- 2014-09-04 - Announcing Christ on the streets: “committed to mission” for the archdiocese of Salta