AMERICA/ARGENTINA - The Church invites us to be in solidarity with the victims of the rains, Neuquen is the most affected area
Neuquen (Agenzia Fides) - "Due to the climate emergency that the city of Neuquén is living following the heavy rains in recent days, many families in our neighborhoods have been displaced and many others have suffered severe damage to their homes", said the Bishop of Neuquén (about 1000 km south of Buenos Aires), His Exc. Mgr. Virginio Domingo Bressanelli, S.C.I., in a statement sent to Fides Agency.
The Bishop expresses his solidarity with the families affected by the storms that have hit the province and invites parishes to coordinate efforts for aid.
Although the weather situation is improving, some local media have carried out an initial assessment: in the province of Neuquén alone there are more than 1,500 people that have been evacuated, more than 3,000 across the country. Neuquen is however the most affected area.
In the province of Buenos Aires the River Lujan has overflowed, forcing 80 families to abandon their homes. In Catamatca 400 people have left their houses, many of whom have been welcomed in the church of Catamarca. In Rio Negro there are 500 people on the street, due to the huge amount of water that has penetrated into their homes. In Chubut, a person has died and 70 families have been left homeless. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/04/2014)
- 2014-09-06 - The life of every migrant demands we build a new world; migrants’ pilgrimage to Luján
- 2014-09-04 - Announcing Christ on the streets: “committed to mission” for the archdiocese of Salta
- 2014-09-03 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – The Month of the Bible, ideal context for giving new impulse to the evangelising mission of the Church
- 2014-08-21 - The Church launches an alarm regarding the increase of suicides among teenagers
- 2014-08-06 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Pope Francis welcomes the opening of a reception center for victims of sexual exploitation
- 2014-07-08 - After 38 years the killers of the Bishop who fought for hope and dignity have been condemned
- 2014-06-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Social Week begins, to promote "the culture of meeting"
- 2014-06-26 - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
- 2014-06-25 - Bishops concerned about the national economic situation
- 2014-06-18 - A video against drugs: the Church launches a campaign on social networking sites