AMERICA/ARGENTINA - The Church invites us to be in solidarity with the victims of the rains, Neuquen is the most affected area
Neuquen (Agenzia Fides) - "Due to the climate emergency that the city of Neuquén is living following the heavy rains in recent days, many families in our neighborhoods have been displaced and many others have suffered severe damage to their homes", said the Bishop of Neuquén (about 1000 km south of Buenos Aires), His Exc. Mgr. Virginio Domingo Bressanelli, S.C.I., in a statement sent to Fides Agency.
The Bishop expresses his solidarity with the families affected by the storms that have hit the province and invites parishes to coordinate efforts for aid.
Although the weather situation is improving, some local media have carried out an initial assessment: in the province of Neuquén alone there are more than 1,500 people that have been evacuated, more than 3,000 across the country. Neuquen is however the most affected area.
In the province of Buenos Aires the River Lujan has overflowed, forcing 80 families to abandon their homes. In Catamatca 400 people have left their houses, many of whom have been welcomed in the church of Catamarca. In Rio Negro there are 500 people on the street, due to the huge amount of water that has penetrated into their homes. In Chubut, a person has died and 70 families have been left homeless. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/04/2014)
- 2015-11-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – For the Bishops: to encourage gambling addiction "is a crime against the poorest"
- 2015-11-25 - New President: the Church hopes stronger solidarity policies for vulnerable sectors
- 2015-11-20 - Thousands occupy houses and land, the Bishop denounces the absence of state authorities
- 2015-11-17 - Family, formation of priests, environmental problems: the topics analyzed by the Bishops
- 2015-11-11 - 140 years ago the first group of Salesian missionaries arrived in Patagonia
- 2015-11-09 - Assembly of Bishops in progress: Eucharistic Congress, family and priestly formation Buenos
- 2015-11-05 - Mining company withdraws from La Rioja: statement of the Bishop and the Deputy Governor
- 2015-11-04 - The request of the diocese to the State: "Do not suspend the subsidies to schools"
- 2015-11-03 - National Day of the Sick, an opportunity aimed to arouse greater sensitivity
- 2015-10-26 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – First stage of Bishop’s beatification process expected to take two years