AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Growing concerns about insecurity, while today Maduro meets the opposition
Carora (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of Carora, His Exc. Mgr. Luis Armando Tineo Rivera, is concerned about the daily insecurity that is gaining ground in the country and for the many acts of violence that have occurred in recent weeks in several cities, which have caused social upheaval and a large number of deaths and injuries. In view of the upcoming Holy Week, Mgr. Tineo Rivera calls on all Venezuelans to reflect, to become aware and therefore seek the common good that they need. "This means – highlights the note sent to Fides Agency – that dialogue assumes, of course, respect and mutual acceptance between each of the parties, and thus the will to reach agreements", said Mgr. Tineo.
Tension in the country continues. President Maduro has agreed, under pressure from the UNASUR (Union of South American Nations), to meet the opposition today, Tuesday, April 8, to establish an agenda of negotiations. Yesterday Maduro had received the delegation of the Foreign Ministers of the member countries of UNASUR, that later held a meeting with representatives of the Democratic Unity Movement (MUD). Maduro announced that he had accepted the proposal to meet the sectors of the opposition, and this will be considered a "great message of peace, a great sign for all the people to end violence". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/04/2014)
- 2014-10-28 - Cardinal Urosa Savino: "Respect for political prisoners"
- 2014-10-21 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – May Saint John Paul II accompany Venezuela in the paths of peace and justice
- 2014-10-01 - "Division is not from God": in march for peace and unity of the country
- 2014-09-30 - Violence in the country does not decrease: a military chaplain killed
- 2014-09-27 - "Do not be afraid of peace" Pope Francis’ letter to Venezuela
- 2014-09-16 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Laity meet apostolic Nuncio, a tradition which encourages the unity of the Church
- 2014-08-12 - "Commit to a missionary cooperation", the V National Missionary Congress has concluded
- 2014-08-06 - The V National Missionary Congress begins
- 2014-07-14 - "Give teachers their salaries": church’s appeal in favor of teachers
- 2014-07-12 - "It is impossible to find a solution if you do not listen to the people", say the Bishops