AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Growing concerns about insecurity, while today Maduro meets the opposition
Carora (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of Carora, His Exc. Mgr. Luis Armando Tineo Rivera, is concerned about the daily insecurity that is gaining ground in the country and for the many acts of violence that have occurred in recent weeks in several cities, which have caused social upheaval and a large number of deaths and injuries. In view of the upcoming Holy Week, Mgr. Tineo Rivera calls on all Venezuelans to reflect, to become aware and therefore seek the common good that they need. "This means – highlights the note sent to Fides Agency – that dialogue assumes, of course, respect and mutual acceptance between each of the parties, and thus the will to reach agreements", said Mgr. Tineo.
Tension in the country continues. President Maduro has agreed, under pressure from the UNASUR (Union of South American Nations), to meet the opposition today, Tuesday, April 8, to establish an agenda of negotiations. Yesterday Maduro had received the delegation of the Foreign Ministers of the member countries of UNASUR, that later held a meeting with representatives of the Democratic Unity Movement (MUD). Maduro announced that he had accepted the proposal to meet the sectors of the opposition, and this will be considered a "great message of peace, a great sign for all the people to end violence". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/04/2014)
- 2015-05-19 - Casa-Hogar "Padre Machado" in El Valle occupied with violence for a few hours
- 2015-03-03 - Classes suspended in the University of Tachira, false accusations made against the Catholic University
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students
- 2015-02-20 - Police arrest Mayor of Caracas, for Archbishop Lückert “proof of dictatorship ”
- 2015-01-31 - Four churches attacked in Mérida
- 2015-01-30 - Mgr. Parra robbed during a parish meeting: "Money is spent on many things, but not on safety"
- 2015-01-13 - Dialogue to end the crisis: the exhortation of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-12 - Shops are empty: Cardinal Urosa calls on the government to act quickly and urges to remain calm