ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Bishops: "We respect the Supreme Court, we defend life with the right to conscientious objection"
Manila (Agenzia Fides) - The Church respects the decision of the Supreme Court and will continue to defend life and the family, thanks to the possibility of conscientious objection: is what the Bishops of the Philippines say after the Court's ruling, which declared the constitutionality of the Reproductive Health law, while leaving the right for doctors and private health care facilities, to profess themselves "objectors", with regards to the use of artificial methods of contraception.
A note of the Filipino Episcopate, signed by Socrates Villegas, Archbishop of Lingayen Dagupan and President of the Episcopal Conference, sent to Fides, explains: "I encourage our Catholic faithful to maintain respect and esteem for the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court has decided on the RH issue based on existing laws in the Philippines". The Church, the text continues, "must continue to uphold the sacredness of human life, to teach always the dignity of the human person and to safeguard the life of every human person from conception to natural death".
The note sent to Fides says with satisfaction that the Law was "softened" because the courts have recognized the importance of conscientious objection even among physicians working in public health facilities and confirms that all Catholics "will work hand in hand with those who support the law for the good of the country". In conclusion, the Church "will continue to proclaim the beauty and holiness of every human person", "in the spirit of the Gospel of life and love". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 08/04/2014)
- 2015-04-24 - Islamic and Christian religious leaders: "Necessity to review the Bangasamoro Basic Law"
- 2015-04-09 - The Church to the President: "It is time to approve land reform"
- 2015-03-31 - Cardinal Tagle: "Way of the Cross on Good Friday in prayer for peace"
- 2015-03-28 - Humanitarian crisis in Mindanao; a law has been submitted in the Philippine congress on the Muslim region
- 2015-02-26 - Military offensive in Mindanao; the Bishop in Basilan: "For peace, sincerity is needed"
- 2015-02-24 - Bishops issue “Oratio imperata” for peace in Mindanao
- 2015-02-20 - ASIA/PHILIPPINES – In the Year of the Poor, Lent is a favourable time for solidarity
- 2015-02-19 - Missionary says: “someone wants to destabilise Mindanao”
- 2015-02-18 - ASIA/PHILIPPINES – Christian and Muslim religious leaders: “the peace process must not be abandoned”
- 2015-02-09 - No to "total war" in Mindanao, unity against "the ideology of violence"