AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Indigenous children continue to die of hunger and chronic malnutrition
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - In Colombia, 12% of children suffer from hunger and chronic malnutrition across the Country, 70 % between 0 and 6 years of age that is to say 557 000. The indigenous population are deprived of drinking water and health care, they do not have human rights and starve to death. According to information gathered by Fides Agency, the statistics of the National Administrative Department of Statistics (Dane), registered that for every thousand indigenous children aged between 0 and 6, 250 die per year, more than in Somalia. UNICEF reported that in 2010, 73% of indigenous children of the same age group in the Department of Chocó were suffering from chronic malnutrition. In la Guajira the figure is three times higher than the national rate and is increasing. The death of 166 Wayuu children between 2008 and 2013 (see Fides 20/02/2014) and the situation of malnutrition concerning 4000 indigenous children of la Guajira, highlight the urgent need to provide for the basic necessities for children in Colombia, especially for the indigenous. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 03/04/2014)
- 2015-07-16 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Priest murdered in the sacristy as he was about to celebrate mass
- 2015-07-13 - Once the peace agreement is signed, the real challenge of the government will be how to handle the situation
- 2015-07-09 - "The peace process is alive", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga; letter of the religious leaders
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus