AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Indigenous children continue to die of hunger and chronic malnutrition
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - In Colombia, 12% of children suffer from hunger and chronic malnutrition across the Country, 70 % between 0 and 6 years of age that is to say 557 000. The indigenous population are deprived of drinking water and health care, they do not have human rights and starve to death. According to information gathered by Fides Agency, the statistics of the National Administrative Department of Statistics (Dane), registered that for every thousand indigenous children aged between 0 and 6, 250 die per year, more than in Somalia. UNICEF reported that in 2010, 73% of indigenous children of the same age group in the Department of Chocó were suffering from chronic malnutrition. In la Guajira the figure is three times higher than the national rate and is increasing. The death of 166 Wayuu children between 2008 and 2013 (see Fides 20/02/2014) and the situation of malnutrition concerning 4000 indigenous children of la Guajira, highlight the urgent need to provide for the basic necessities for children in Colombia, especially for the indigenous. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 03/04/2014)
- 2015-11-24 - Peace process: no need to hasten the signing without verifying the international law
- 2015-11-21 - The Church: need to clarify the referendum to have lasting peace
- 2015-11-19 - "There are connections between the conflicts in the Middle East and environmental issues" says a Jesuit
- 2015-11-16 - Poverty on the rise in Santa Fe and Chapinero: daily wage and lack of retirement among the causes
- 2015-11-12 - Meeting of the Pan-Amazonian Network: necessity to listen to indigenous peoples to protect creation
- 2015-10-20 - Mgr. Castro Quiroga: "The opening of dialogue with ELN is positive news"
- 2015-10-19 - "Pope Francis" food bank for needy families in Villavicencio
- 2015-10-09 - Cardinal Pimiento: "Vote-buying is a crime"
- 2015-10-02 - Become peacemakers: 400 priests offer the opportunity to receive the sacrament of reconciliation
- 2015-09-24 - Colombia towards peace through the path of reconciliation