AMERICA/COLOMBIA - First study on hidden child victims of sexual abuse
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - Every day at least thirty children and adolescents suffer sexual assault by members of armed groups involved in the internal conflict that has been going on for over half a century in Colombia. With the campaign "Saquen mi Cuerpo de la guerra", the first study on sexual violence against children under 18 years of age was published and so far has claimed the lives of over 200 thousand victims. According to information sent to Fides Agency, between 2008 and 2012 at least 48 915 cases of minors who were victims of abuse were registered: this is what is stated in the report titled "stop chasing girls and boys", developed by different organizations for the protection of human rights, coordinated by Oxfam International. The study also reports a high degree of impunity of the Colombian judicial system against the perpetrators. According to research, sexual assault against children and adolescents is an invisible phenomenon in a Country where many cases go unreported for fear, and for the difficulty to initiate criminal proceedings against the perpetrators. (AP) (31/03/2014 Agenzia Fides)
- 2015-11-24 - Peace process: no need to hasten the signing without verifying the international law
- 2015-11-21 - The Church: need to clarify the referendum to have lasting peace
- 2015-11-19 - "There are connections between the conflicts in the Middle East and environmental issues" says a Jesuit
- 2015-11-16 - Poverty on the rise in Santa Fe and Chapinero: daily wage and lack of retirement among the causes
- 2015-11-12 - Meeting of the Pan-Amazonian Network: necessity to listen to indigenous peoples to protect creation
- 2015-10-20 - Mgr. Castro Quiroga: "The opening of dialogue with ELN is positive news"
- 2015-10-19 - "Pope Francis" food bank for needy families in Villavicencio
- 2015-10-09 - Cardinal Pimiento: "Vote-buying is a crime"
- 2015-10-02 - Become peacemakers: 400 priests offer the opportunity to receive the sacrament of reconciliation
- 2015-09-24 - Colombia towards peace through the path of reconciliation