AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Holy See "willing and eager" to help Venezuela
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has accepted the idea of a "mediator in good faith", due to the increasing pressure to negotiate with the opposition. On March 27, Maduro mentioned the Vatican secretary of State, Cardinal Pietro Parolin who, until last year, was apostolic nuncio in Caracas.
Fides Agency publishes Fr. Federico Lombardi’s answer, director of the Press Office of the Holy See, regarding the media's question on the issue: "Speaking of the situation in Venezuela and a possible role of cardinal Parolin, the Holy See - and also personally Cardinal Secretary of State Parolin, who knows and loves Venezuela since he was Nuncio - is certainly willing and eager to help the country. However, it is necessary to deepen and have more elements to better see what the expectations are and if there are preconditions to achieve the desired purpose". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/03/2014)
- 2015-06-22 - Hunger strike in 12 states for political prisoners, the Church has been asked to intervene
- 2015-06-19 - "They have our support": Mgr. Conde receives young people on hunger strike and writes to the Pope
- 2015-06-05 - Appeal to the authorities in favor of protesters on hunger strike
- 2015-06-03 - The Church calls on the authorities to respond to the students on hunger strike
- 2015-05-30 - Six young people on hunger strike in a church in Caracas
- 2015-05-19 - Casa-Hogar "Padre Machado" in El Valle occupied with violence for a few hours
- 2015-03-03 - Classes suspended in the University of Tachira, false accusations made against the Catholic University
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students