AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE - New program for social integration and peace education
Abidjan (Agenzia Fides) – In the Ivory Coast conflicts between farmers and breeders occur every day and often result in brutal violence, particularly in the region of Gbeke, and in the Departments of Bouake, Sakassou and Beoumi in the central area of the African Country.
In order to put an end to violence in Gbeke, look for a path towards reconciliation and find common solutions across the Country, AVSI has launched Triangle Pacific, a new program of intervention which has the aim to help all breeders and farmers through the construction of fences for livestock and the construction of protected crops. What is essential, according to the NGO, is to work on the resolution of conflicts through teachers and educators training activities in the various villages, the organization of socio-cultural and sports activities and other activities of interest in communities and schools.
"This is an important project for the lives of farmers and breeders in the region, where living conditions are difficult and coexistence between them becomes unbearable in some cases – said the AVSI desk officer for the Ivory Coast. The regional directors of the Ministries of Agriculture and Animal Resources of the Ivorian government were present at the ceremony and both welcomed with much enthusiasm the beginning of Triangle Pacific, directly involved in their fields of expertis, ensuring the willingness to cooperate. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 28/03/2014)
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops urge to "work for reconciliation in view of elections"
- 2015-01-28 - In view of the elections there is growing concern for children abducted for macabre rituals
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishops denounce: "Ivorian society is sick at a spiritual and moral level"
- 2014-10-14 - 30% of children between 10 and 14 years of age have been sexually abused
- 2014-09-22 - Refugees in Liberia blocked due to Ebola
- 2014-09-18 - "The Church has to monitor society so that it does not go adrift", says the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2014-05-07 - Twelve thousand children work as slaves on cocoa farms
- 2014-03-28 - New program for social integration and peace education
- 2012-08-06 - At least 6 people killed in an assault on a police station in Abidjan
- 2012-07-12 - "No to the cultural leveling, yes to the rediscovery of the richness of African culture," said Cardinal Sarr