AFRICA/KENYA - Christian and Muslim religious leaders condemn the attack on the Evangelical Church
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The Kenyan religious leaders have strongly condemned the attack on the Evangelical Church in Likoni on March 23 (see Fides 24/03/2014), in which six people were killed and dozens of others were injured.
Cardinal John Njue, Archbishop of Nairobi, condemned the attack and called on the government to strengthen security measures in all of Kenya, in particular on the coastal region.
The Cardinal also called for calm among Christians, saying the police should be allowed to conduct investigations in order to bring the perpetrators to justice.
National Muslim Leaders Forum Chairman Dr Abdullahi Abdi urged Kenyans to remain calm to avoid falling into the trap of the killers who want the Country to be divided on religious lines. In the meantime, the tension in the Country for fear of new attacks carried out with the use of vehicles loaded with explosives has not diminished.
The authorities in Nairobi have also imposed Somali refugees in the country to remain locked up in the camps in Dadaab and Kakuma. It is suspected that the Shabaab Somalis are the authors of recent bombings that have rocked the Country. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/03/2014)
- 2015-05-20 - AFRICA/KENYA – First beatification in Kenya: the Italian missionary Sr. Irene, "mother all mercy and love"
- 2015-05-13 - Remembering the victims of Garissa, Christian leaders denounce the insecurity in which Kenya lives
- 2015-05-11 - The Bishops warn: "A Government that cannot protect its own people loses its legitimacy to govern"
- 2015-04-20 - "The real aim of Al Shabaab is to spark religious conflict, let us not fall into that trap", say the Islamic leaders
- 2015-04-16 - "Moving Dadaab Refugee Camp back to Somalia must go hand in hand with allocating more resources to Northern Kenya for it to succeed", says the Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-04-10 - The Bishops: "Who knows must denounce the terrorists; the government has to address the obvious breakdown in the security intelligence system"
- 2015-04-08 - "The Shabaab attack Christians also for people to forget the massacres against Muslims committed by them", says Mgr. Alexander
- 2015-03-11 - AFRICA/KENYA – A study of the Church: the factors of internal conflict
- 2015-03-05 - The Church make uncultivated land available to produce food
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor