AFRICA/KENYA - Christian and Muslim religious leaders condemn the attack on the Evangelical Church
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The Kenyan religious leaders have strongly condemned the attack on the Evangelical Church in Likoni on March 23 (see Fides 24/03/2014), in which six people were killed and dozens of others were injured.
Cardinal John Njue, Archbishop of Nairobi, condemned the attack and called on the government to strengthen security measures in all of Kenya, in particular on the coastal region.
The Cardinal also called for calm among Christians, saying the police should be allowed to conduct investigations in order to bring the perpetrators to justice.
National Muslim Leaders Forum Chairman Dr Abdullahi Abdi urged Kenyans to remain calm to avoid falling into the trap of the killers who want the Country to be divided on religious lines. In the meantime, the tension in the Country for fear of new attacks carried out with the use of vehicles loaded with explosives has not diminished.
The authorities in Nairobi have also imposed Somali refugees in the country to remain locked up in the camps in Dadaab and Kakuma. It is suspected that the Shabaab Somalis are the authors of recent bombings that have rocked the Country. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/03/2014)
- 2014-09-05 - “Enough violence in northern Kenya!” cry Catholic Bishops
- 2014-09-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – New Rector for St. Matthias Mulumba Major seminary in the diocese of Eldoret
- 2014-09-05 - diocesan Major Seminary in the diocese of Nakuru, appointed.
- 2014-09-04 - AFRICA/KENYA – Rector for St. Thomas Aquinas major seminary in Nairobi appointed
- 2014-07-23 - Works begin on a new center for disabled children in the village of Kandisi
- 2014-07-18 - The First Lady praised the Church's role in improving the lives of millions of Kenyans
- 2014-07-17 - The army have discovered four fields where the perpetrators of the attacks in the coastal region hide
- 2014-07-15 - The perpetrators of the attacks against some villages on the coast have been identified
- 2014-07-09 - Bishops' appeal: "The media play a pivotal role in the Country"
- 2014-06-26 - The governor of Lamu arrested for the attacks on coastal villages