AFRICA/KENYA - Christian and Muslim religious leaders condemn the attack on the Evangelical Church
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The Kenyan religious leaders have strongly condemned the attack on the Evangelical Church in Likoni on March 23 (see Fides 24/03/2014), in which six people were killed and dozens of others were injured.
Cardinal John Njue, Archbishop of Nairobi, condemned the attack and called on the government to strengthen security measures in all of Kenya, in particular on the coastal region.
The Cardinal also called for calm among Christians, saying the police should be allowed to conduct investigations in order to bring the perpetrators to justice.
National Muslim Leaders Forum Chairman Dr Abdullahi Abdi urged Kenyans to remain calm to avoid falling into the trap of the killers who want the Country to be divided on religious lines. In the meantime, the tension in the Country for fear of new attacks carried out with the use of vehicles loaded with explosives has not diminished.
The authorities in Nairobi have also imposed Somali refugees in the country to remain locked up in the camps in Dadaab and Kakuma. It is suspected that the Shabaab Somalis are the authors of recent bombings that have rocked the Country. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/03/2014)
- 2015-09-08 - The protest of teachers takes to the street, the Church calls for dialogue
- 2015-09-04 - The Bishops of Kenya officially announce Pope Francis' visit
- 2015-09-03 - Bishop of Meru: "Fight for a culture that promotes family and life"
- 2015-08-17 - AFRICA/KENYA – Concern for reported destructive behaviour in local Catholic schools
- 2015-08-06 - By 2020, 20 Catholic radio stations will be created to cover the entire territory of Kenya
- 2015-07-30 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishops call for general ‘boycot’ of upcoming vaccination campaign until vaccine is tested
- 2015-07-08 - More than 500 deaths in 150 terrorist attacks in the last three years
- 2015-07-07 - "The project of the Shabaab to liberate the north-east from non-Somalis continues" said the coadjutor Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-06-23 - The exhortation of Mgr. Pante to 600,000 refugees welcomed in Kenya: "Do not lose hope"
- 2015-06-15 - Even two Westerners among the Shabaab killed in an assault on a military camp