AFRICA/KENYA - Christian and Muslim religious leaders condemn the attack on the Evangelical Church
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The Kenyan religious leaders have strongly condemned the attack on the Evangelical Church in Likoni on March 23 (see Fides 24/03/2014), in which six people were killed and dozens of others were injured.
Cardinal John Njue, Archbishop of Nairobi, condemned the attack and called on the government to strengthen security measures in all of Kenya, in particular on the coastal region.
The Cardinal also called for calm among Christians, saying the police should be allowed to conduct investigations in order to bring the perpetrators to justice.
National Muslim Leaders Forum Chairman Dr Abdullahi Abdi urged Kenyans to remain calm to avoid falling into the trap of the killers who want the Country to be divided on religious lines. In the meantime, the tension in the Country for fear of new attacks carried out with the use of vehicles loaded with explosives has not diminished.
The authorities in Nairobi have also imposed Somali refugees in the country to remain locked up in the camps in Dadaab and Kakuma. It is suspected that the Shabaab Somalis are the authors of recent bombings that have rocked the Country. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/03/2014)
- 2014-12-18 - Clashes among MPs on anti-terrorism law could put fundamental freedoms at risk
- 2014-12-12 - Christian leaders ask Muslims "for a deliberate and concerted effort" to stop the violence of the Shabaab
- 2014-12-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishop of Kakamega resigns, successor appointed
- 2014-12-02 - Coadjutor Bishop of Garissa: "One is trying to destabilize the north of Kenya"
- 2014-12-01 - Justice and Peace Commission: The state of insecurity is to be declared "national disaster"
- 2014-11-24 - Security measures have been intensified in front of churches after the massacre of the bus
- 2014-11-19 - AFRICA/KENYA – Joint tests of Church and State on the tetanus vaccine considered a means of birth control
- 2014-11-11 - The government presents a commission of inquiry on the tetanus vaccination after the protests of the Church
- 2014-11-07 - Bishops reaffirm: "tetanus vaccination is a program of population control in disguise"
- 2014-11-04 - The comfort of the Church for the victims of the attack in the area of Lake Turkana