AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Dialogue is "necessary" to stop violence
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - Bishop Emeritus of the Diocese of Los Teques (Venezuela), His Exc. Mgr. Ramón Ovidio Perez Morales, proposed the Venezuelan seat of the Episcopate as a meeting place between the opposition and the government to start a dialogue that he considers "necessary". The seat of the Venezuelan Episcopal Conference is in Caracas, in the area of Montalban.
In the note sent to Fides, Mgr. Pérez Morales lists the Country's problems which have to be addressed urgently: insecurity, impunity, inflation and violence. He also reaffirms that some of the proposals contained in the government's so-called "Plan de la Patria", appear as an "unacceptable and unconstitutional" socialist project.
Yesterday even the Minister of Interior, Justice and Peace, Miguel Rodríguez Torres spoke to a local radio station saying that there will be "special military and police operations to eradicate the guarimbas". The "guarimbas" are the centers of protest and can be a place, a neighborhood or even a road. "We had a meeting with the High Military Command to activate new security plans already in place", the Minister said. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/03/2014)
AMERICA/VENEZUELA – DIALOGUE IS "NECESSARY" TO STOP VIOLENCE
- 2015-07-06 - 35,000 people have been isolated due to floods, other 25,000 at risk
- 2015-06-22 - Hunger strike in 12 states for political prisoners, the Church has been asked to intervene
- 2015-06-19 - "They have our support": Mgr. Conde receives young people on hunger strike and writes to the Pope
- 2015-06-05 - Appeal to the authorities in favor of protesters on hunger strike
- 2015-06-03 - The Church calls on the authorities to respond to the students on hunger strike
- 2015-05-30 - Six young people on hunger strike in a church in Caracas
- 2015-05-19 - Casa-Hogar "Padre Machado" in El Valle occupied with violence for a few hours
- 2015-03-03 - Classes suspended in the University of Tachira, false accusations made against the Catholic University
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations