AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Dialogue is "necessary" to stop violence
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - Bishop Emeritus of the Diocese of Los Teques (Venezuela), His Exc. Mgr. Ramón Ovidio Perez Morales, proposed the Venezuelan seat of the Episcopate as a meeting place between the opposition and the government to start a dialogue that he considers "necessary". The seat of the Venezuelan Episcopal Conference is in Caracas, in the area of Montalban.
In the note sent to Fides, Mgr. Pérez Morales lists the Country's problems which have to be addressed urgently: insecurity, impunity, inflation and violence. He also reaffirms that some of the proposals contained in the government's so-called "Plan de la Patria", appear as an "unacceptable and unconstitutional" socialist project.
Yesterday even the Minister of Interior, Justice and Peace, Miguel Rodríguez Torres spoke to a local radio station saying that there will be "special military and police operations to eradicate the guarimbas". The "guarimbas" are the centers of protest and can be a place, a neighborhood or even a road. "We had a meeting with the High Military Command to activate new security plans already in place", the Minister said. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/03/2014)
- 2014-09-16 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Laity meet apostolic Nuncio, a tradition which encourages the unity of the Church
- 2014-08-12 - "Commit to a missionary cooperation", the V National Missionary Congress has concluded
- 2014-08-06 - The V National Missionary Congress begins
- 2014-07-14 - "Give teachers their salaries": church’s appeal in favor of teachers
- 2014-07-12 - "It is impossible to find a solution if you do not listen to the people", say the Bishops
- 2014-07-09 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: defeat pessimism and allow hope to grow
- 2014-06-25 - National holiday marked by demonstrations
- 2014-06-23 - Young people on hunger strike, the situation is still blocked
- 2014-05-21 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Dialogue resumes, but we need facts not promises
- 2014-05-14 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – What is feared is the failure of peace talks, today new student demonstration