AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Dialogue is "necessary" to stop violence
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - Bishop Emeritus of the Diocese of Los Teques (Venezuela), His Exc. Mgr. Ramón Ovidio Perez Morales, proposed the Venezuelan seat of the Episcopate as a meeting place between the opposition and the government to start a dialogue that he considers "necessary". The seat of the Venezuelan Episcopal Conference is in Caracas, in the area of Montalban.
In the note sent to Fides, Mgr. Pérez Morales lists the Country's problems which have to be addressed urgently: insecurity, impunity, inflation and violence. He also reaffirms that some of the proposals contained in the government's so-called "Plan de la Patria", appear as an "unacceptable and unconstitutional" socialist project.
Yesterday even the Minister of Interior, Justice and Peace, Miguel Rodríguez Torres spoke to a local radio station saying that there will be "special military and police operations to eradicate the guarimbas". The "guarimbas" are the centers of protest and can be a place, a neighborhood or even a road. "We had a meeting with the High Military Command to activate new security plans already in place", the Minister said. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/03/2014)
AMERICA/VENEZUELA – DIALOGUE IS "NECESSARY" TO STOP VIOLENCE
- 2015-03-03 - Classes suspended in the University of Tachira, false accusations made against the Catholic University
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students
- 2015-02-20 - Police arrest Mayor of Caracas, for Archbishop Lückert “proof of dictatorship ”
- 2015-01-31 - Four churches attacked in Mérida
- 2015-01-30 - Mgr. Parra robbed during a parish meeting: "Money is spent on many things, but not on safety"
- 2015-01-13 - Dialogue to end the crisis: the exhortation of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-12 - Shops are empty: Cardinal Urosa calls on the government to act quickly and urges to remain calm
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Assembly of Bishops: dialogue to end the crisis and the necessity to find agreed solutions