ASIA/IRAQ - The Heads of Churches to all Christians: let us participate in the elections
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - The Council of Christian Church-Leaders of Iraq, an organization that brings together all the leaders of different Christian denominations in the Middle Eastern Country - has issued a brief pronouncement in which it invites all faithful to participate in the upcoming national elections, scheduled for April 30. In the text, sent to Fides Agency, Christian leaders appeal to the civil liability that involves everyone in the dramatic situation experienced by Iraq . "It is important not to despair of the fate of this Country", write the Christian leaders, while they ask "God to inspire us to choose for the good of the whole nation".
Once again, political activists linked to the Christian communities in Iraq present themselves in random order to the electoral appointment that will have to select 325 members of Parliament (with 5 seats reserved for Christians), called in turn to elect the President and the Iraqi Prime Minister in respect of the system that reserves the presidential office to a Kurd and that of the Prime Minister to a Shiite. There are at least 9 small lists inspired by Christian activists (Chaldeans, Syriacs, Assyrians). (GV) (Agenzia Fides 24/03/2014)
- 2015-07-23 - Also in Kirkuk expropriation of Christian homes
- 2015-07-22 - The government orders the transfer of the military of the Nineveh Plain to Baghdad; Christian politicians protest
- 2015-07-14 - The Chaldean Church of St. Joseph in Mosul transformed into a mosque
- 2015-07-10 - In Baghdad, Christians kidnapped and killed despite the payment of ransom
- 2015-07-03 - The founding conference of the Chaldean League has concluded
- 2015-07-01 - An international conference in Erbil to found the "League of the Chaldeans"
- 2015-06-18 - Chaldean Patriarch sends a message to Muslims for the start of Ramadan
- 2015-06-13 - Thousands of Christian homes taken by deception
- 2015-06-10 - Chaldean Patriarch: a year after the fall of Mosul, only national reconciliation can save the country
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"